The Dark Mod Forums

Model Issues with Nextrelease

jdude

I thought that I should post all concerns about any models and stuff here. These are all relevant to the next release:

Model issues:

models/darkmod/furniture/beds/4posterbed.lwo

The black part on the bottom of the bed cover is still black, I think it should be see through.

These are lacking textures:

models/darkmod/decorative/personal_items/mirror_hand.ase

models/darkmod/decorative/personal_items/brush_hand.ase

Moveables:

We need these models made into moveables, we also need the correct sounds for these models:

models/darkmod/misc/cork_bottle.lwo

models/darkmod/misc/ink&quill.lwo

models/darkmod/misc/ink_pot02_corked.lwo

models/darkmod/misc/quill.lwo

models/darkmod/decorative/hourglass.ase

models/darkmod/containers/bucket_wood.lwo

models/darkmod/containers/tray.lwo

models/darkmod/containers/sack1.lwo

models/darkmod/decorative/hammer_stone.ase

models/darkmod/graveyard/urn.ase

models/darkmod/containers/bucket.lwo

models/darkmod/tools/smithyhammer.lwo

models/darkmod/furniture/seating/stool_square.lwo

models/darkmod/junk/apple_core.lwo

models/darkmod/fireplace/tools.lwo

models/darkmod/furniture/seating/throne_simple.lwo

models/darkmod/kitchen/bottle02.lwo

models/darkmod/kitchen/bottle01.lwo

models/darkmod/kitchen/serving_dish_covered.lwo

models/darkmod/kitchen/food/apple.lwo

models/darkmod/kitchen/food/pear.lwo

models/darkmod/kitchen/food/cheese_wedge.lwo

models/darkmod/kitchen/food/bread_loaf01.lwo

models/darkmod/kitchen/utensils/spoon_wooden.lwo

models/darkmod/kitchen/utensils/spoon_wooden_serving.lwo

models/darkmod/readables/book_red1.lwo

models/darkmod/readables/book_red1_small.lwo

These are broken:

models/darkmod/kitchen/tea_tray_silver2.ase

models/darkmod/kitchen/bowl01.lwo

models/darkmod/kitchen/bowl01_small.lwo

models/darkmod/kitchen/bowl01_stew.lwo

models/darkmod/kitchen/bowl01_large.lwo

ATDM:moveable_cauldron

These cause crashes:

atdm:moveable_junk_ceramicflind04

atdm:moveable_junk_ceramicflind03

atdm:moveable_junk_ceramicflind02

atdm:moveable_junk_ceramicflind01

Sounds:

These Lack Sounds:

atdm_moveable_vase_squat

atdm_moveable_wearables_boot_large

atdm_moveable_plant_pot

atdm_moveable_washboard

atdm_moveable_candle_01_lit

atdm:moveable_candle_01

atdm:moveable_plant_orchid *********This one also spins a lot!********

These Need New More Appropriate Sounds:

atdm_moveable_junk_plank_short

atdm:moveable_chair_dining_2_red [i'd think the same as the plank short would be more suitable]

atdm:moveable_chair_rustic [same as above]

Glitches:

On the model: atdm:moveable_junk_wbottle01_broken sometimes you can rotate it to look directly into the broken area, and this will cause cast by dynamic lights to be passed and you can see brightly through it.

Wanted:

A Rubber Ducky for the bathtub :D

I've likely missed something so I will keep this page updated and delete things as they are updated on the SVN.

If it wouldn't be too much of an effort, jdude, would be it be possible to make a small test map that contains all the moveables you're currently using? Something to the effect of the footstep test map with the floor split up with various surface types so we could have an easier, consolidated way to tweak sound levels and the physics parameters.

I could manage it myself, but it'd likely take me eleven hours just to construct the room :mellow:

If it wouldn't be too much of an effort, jdude, would be it be possible to make a small test map that contains all the moveables you're currently using? Something to the effect of the footstep test map with the floor split up with various surface types so we could have an easier, consolidated way to tweak sound levels and the physics parameters.

I could manage it myself, but it'd likely take me eleven hours just to construct the room :mellow:

I'll take care of the static => moveables conversion. At the same time, I could also add these to the test/stack.map if this helps?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Speaking of static vs. moveable, should we just remove the static versions (the same for loot as we planned and discussed), based on the observation that having only one variant is:

* simpler for mappers

* easier to maintain

* and moveable items can be easily made static by the mapper with one spawnarg, while the other way is complicated?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Speaking of static vs. moveable, should we just remove the static versions (the same for loot as we planned and discussed), based on the observation that having only one variant is:

There's really no good way of removing static models, as they are always accessible via the "Add Model..." dialog, so I wouldn't spend too much brainpower on that.

I think what he means is that we have entities that are loot:static and loot:moveables

We discussed this several times but nobody would ever say "get rid of the static loot entities" so they still remain.

For the record I am with Tels. No reason to have both in the entities and it's easier to make the moveable static if that's what a mapper wants, but better to have MOST loot moveable for almost all instances.

Even rings imo. If a mapper is afraid a player might use a fire arrow in a certian spot and 'lose' the ring they can make it static.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I think what he means is that we have entities that are loot:static and loot:moveables

We discussed this several times but nobody would ever say "get rid of the static loot entities" so they still remain.

For the record I am with Tels. No reason to have both in the entities and it's easier to make the moveable static if that's what a mapper wants, but better to have MOST loot moveable for almost all instances.

Even rings imo. If a mapper is afraid a player might use a fire arrow in a certian spot and 'lose' the ring they can make it static.

Yeah I was mainly talking about static loot, but I can also think ofno reason to keep a def for a static apple around if we have them moveable. The mapper can always easily make the moveable static - and so has one less decision to take in the "add entity tree".

Just for the record, I am against making _very small_ loot moveable for practical reasons - as it can get lost and inaccessible so easily. But we had this decision already so i won't even mention it. Forget what I said. Look shiny! *runs way*

It is bedtime for me now, unfortunately :/ I need 36h days...

I think we should possibly have a loot system implemented into DR. It's so easy picking and choosing the right loot from the static model screen, but when you have to read it from a list and test and see which loot looks like which it's more difficult. If we had a separate add loot screen which showed what loot you were moving and if it was movable or static it would make things easier.

I think we should possibly have a loot system implemented into DR. It's so easy picking and choosing the right loot from the static model screen, but when you have to read it from a list and test and see which loot looks like which it's more difficult. If we had a separate add loot screen which showed what loot you were moving and if it was movable or static it would make things easier.

I think the solution here is not to add a special-purpose "loot system", but rather to display entities in the entity chooser. Makes more sense, it's more general, and I imagine someone's requested it already.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 2 weeks later...

I just commited a bunch of changes to the moveables:

* moved the ones for kitchen, junk and food to their own files

* added some base classes to make maintainance easier

* cleaned up some double needless spawnargs

* added a ton of new movable definitions

The new ones miss some collision models and might have wrong mass or other problems - I did the work on the train with my laptoand cannot build DR or TDm on it, so I couldn't test it. Will have a go later on my main PC and fix stuff up.

Also, I might have missed a few moveables from the list posted here as I had no net access and forgot to save it. Will fix this, too.

TODO:

* remove static loot

* fix CMs, sounds and mass and generally check stuff

* make more (all!) moveables breakable

Speaking of the last point, doing "broken" models for all things we have will be a lot of work, so I think it would be a good idea if we have some generic flinders for common materials like "wood", "stone", "ceramic", "glass" etc.

Then I can set it up so that the moveables just spawn a bunch of flinders. This means, you could for instance, crush not only a bottle, but anything with a heavy crate. (or a heavy temple door).

Speaking of the last point, doing "broken" models for all things we have will be a lot of work, so I think it would be a good idea if we have some generic flinders for common materials like "wood", "stone", "ceramic", "glass" etc.

Yes, that was the plan. There is already a flinders folder under junk, but I'm not sure how much it has in it right now. Most flinders can basically be the same shape, just using different textures based on the material type.

These are lacking textures:

models/darkmod/decorative/personal_items/mirror_hand.ase

models/darkmod/decorative/personal_items/brush_hand.ase

Actually there is one tex that works on both. They used to have a material file so I'm not sure what happened. I'll try and look into it again. I really don't see why these things keep changing, once we have a material file/skin for something it should be left alone.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Yes, that was the plan. There is already a flinders folder under junk, but I'm not sure how much it has in it right now. Most flinders can basically be the same shape, just using different textures based on the material type.

I havent had a chance to look at these flinders, but I thought they were/are too big. However, once we have a suitable small flinder model, I can reskin it easily enough.