The Dark Mod Forums

Cathedral i've been working on...

AluminumHaste

yeah that scale is almost comical, but we a bit a bit of creative texturing and maybe a scale reduction we could still have a huge cathedral. Like RPgista suggested we could have smalle chapels cities inside etc.

Fixed that for you! :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yeah, just take a look at the basilica's floor plan, theres a main nave (in the photo), and then several chapels of different sizes and shapes connected to the outer naves, some are shrines to be seen from outside, others rooms to get into, etc.

stp-floorplan-400.jpg

I dont have a scale so I dont know its size exactly, but this is the biggest church I've ever seen, anything bigger than this would just be unreal I believe, so this might be a good guide for you - it shouldnt be too hard scaling down what you have to something similar in proportion, then work on the detailing from there. It might be a good experiment, scale it down and see if the feeling of awe you are aiming for lost anything, my guess is it wont at all. And yeah, I guess there's no other way around it than assuming this as the main cathedral! :), and if detailed right, could indeed become a prefab others might be interested in adopting in their maps. I would recommend you taking a look at the online documents I refered to on the inspiration post, they have detailed information on this type of architecture.

Edited by RPGista

It should probably be named after the first Builder patriarch, whoever he is, Saint X's Basilica, in the Holy City. BTW, what do you think about adding "Holy City (a.k.a. Sancta Civitas in the old tongue)" to the wiki for The Empire, which is Latin for Holy City? IMO Sancta Civitas just sounds like the name of an Imperial capital, and it'd be Sancta Civitas or S.C. in official documents, but people call it the Holy City in the vernacular.

Also from the wiki, the current Archbishop of Bridgeport is Lavonte Duchane (from NHAT). Has an FM ever named the Builder Patriarch? This should be his home cathedral.

I don't think you have to size it down. Let it be outrageously oversized IMO, as long as it performs, and put doors into a mazy network of side rooms where all the actual action takes place. But I do like the idea of the spokes being individual, semi-separated chapels in their own right, and having more variation (like distant parts areas for relics & maseuleums) as I've seen in many real life cathedrals I've visited.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

You know the wonderful thing about building in a virtual world? There are no constraints. All these suggestions are based in the real world and that is the problem; this is not the real world. I used such a grand scale because I could and because I wanted to overwhelm people when they first see it.

So far I think I've succeeded as all I've gotten so far is "OMG it's too BIG!!1!1!!!111!!" lol. I'll see what I can do gameplay wise, maybe Biker and I could collaborate on it if I get too bored with it, but for now I got the mapping bug again ;)

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I sent you a PM on my ideas for a mission. You can do with them as you like. It's your architecture. But if you don't want to work on my ideas, it's cool, but I'd ask for permission to use the architecture after you guys do your own thing if it's alright.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Between this and the tree level, you are a masochist when it comes to visportalling :D

looks incredible!! Obviously tons of work went into this. But pleeeeease do everyone a favor, in the final release, make sure those floors aren't tile. If i had to creep across something like that size, I'd lurch for the 'quit' button ASAP, lol

Also, wooden pillars??? what foundation for a house of the master builder is THIS?!? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Aluminum that is great work, love the light shining through the windows across the Cathedral. Just wonderful! :) This so has to get used to make a cool fan-mission. :)

P.S. Really like the return to a darker look for the forum. Good job, much more Thief style. :)

Edited by Dunedain

What about making it more of a basilica than a simple church? Consider these scenes (paintings), they explain what I mean:

cathedral-at-night-lr.jpg

Interior-Of-A-Gothic-Church,-1596-97.jpg

The-Interior-Of-A-Gothic-Cathedral-At-Night-With-A-Procession-In-The-Foreground.jpg

EDIT: By the way, there's (on the first pic) a good animation that would be cool to have, people kneeling down, praying (= easy KO). ;)

Edited by RPGista

By the way, there's (on the first pic) a good animation that would be cool to have, people kneeling down, praying (= easy KO).

Was just looking into making one the other day. It's not an easy one, though.

I think the idea is you'd close off some of the areas behind the pillars with some walls, with one or two arches open as an entrance, so you can VP the little semi-"chamber" it makes and have more detailed things in them. Not sure how feasible it is though.

No guys, like I was saying before, I think a building with such a scale should be seen as a basilica rather than a church - a huge public space that connects many smaller, side chambers, like in the paintings. Wouldnt this solution also solve the problem of linearity?

Was just looking into making one the other day. It's not an easy one, though.

Awesome, but yes, I agree, the folded clothing alone should be pretty problematic for priests and the women models... Hope you pull it off!

• 6 months later...

Yeah, could solve performance problems and create some spaces for hiding and sneaking about. But it would look great to have that light streaming through the windows and across the cathedral. :) Hmm, maybe some areas open for the light to flow through, and some areas partially enclosed?

• 1 month later...

I really wish I could still work on this, but since switching to ATI video cards in my laptop I get 10 fps on this map whereas with my old ass Nvidia 260m GTX cards I got 30-40 fps. ATI's OpenGL drivers suck, period.

A big landmark like this really should get made... I hope it doesn't just get lost & forgotten. (Not least because I had a place for it in my campaign.) There are tricks to get the FPS up a bit to at least continue to build on it, I think.

Yep, it is a good idea to analyse the scene with r_showprimitives 1. If you get a lot of shadow tris, you could do some magic with noshadows objects or lights. Vaulted ceilings produce a lot of shadow tris nobody ever notices. Also for a large scene like that one might save tris by using the patch inspector to lessen the arch tris. I think one could save something like 10-20% tris without degrading the appearance too much.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

The issue isn't the map itself as it ran better then Return to the City. The issue is that I now have ATI hardware and it sucks at openGL and has horrible performance. I can run the map at 50-60 fps on the downstairs computer which has a Nvidia 550ti in it.