The Dark Mod Forums

Briefings

joebarnin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, thanks joebarnin. :)

Do you have time to look into getting the "Tears of Saint Lucia" map in the "Start Mission" screen? I think it's missing the .txt files in the fms/ folder, and I assume you are faster than me setting this up. Let me know if you can do that, otherwise I'll look into that.

Awesome, thanks joebarnin. :)

Do you have time to look into getting the "Tears of Saint Lucia" map in the "Start Mission" screen? I think it's missing the .txt files in the fms/ folder, and I assume you are faster than me setting this up. Let me know if you can do that, otherwise I'll look into that.

I can take care of this tomorrow (Monday) night.

I can take care of this tomorrow (Monday) night.

I already added the saintlucia folder under fms and the relevant text files, so it *should* work. :) (Can't start D3 here so I cant test it tho) :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Actually I took the briefing parchment from the Thief's Den mission and renamed it.

Can we delete the thiefs_den.tga file under assets then?

Edit: I adjusted the manifest for SL and added the 3 new files.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Actually I took the briefing parchment from the Thief's Den mission and renamed it.

That had a screenshot from Thiefsden on it, so it's not best for generic use. I can come up with something.

I already added the saintlucia folder under fms and the relevant text files, so it *should* work. :) (Can't start D3 here so I cant test it tho) :(

Looks good, Tels, thanks. I just tested it out and found a problem -- the code that reads the StartingMap.txt file needs to hande Windows/Linux line ending differences. I will fix the code, but for the time being I've checked in a new version of StartingMap.txt that works (I just removed the trailing LF).

• 1 month later...

Where does the xdata file need to go to have the briefing work? I'm trying to set up the briefing for Saint Lucia. Currently the xdata file is just in the darkmod/xdata folder, but that doesn't seem to be read. Does it need to be moved to a saintlucia/xdata folder in order to be used by the loader?

Where does the xdata file need to go to have the briefing work? I'm trying to set up the briefing for Saint Lucia. Currently the xdata file is just in the darkmod/xdata folder, but that doesn't seem to be read. Does it need to be moved to a saintlucia/xdata folder in order to be used by the loader?

You need to include an xdata definition (in any .xd file, but the saintlucia.xd file is the most appropriate), similar to the other readables.

It needs to include "num_pages" and "pageN_body":

maps/saintlucia/mission_briefing
{
"num_pages"	"2"
"page1_body"   "Blab lb ablbl blab blablba"
"page2_body"   "lec lecl ec leclecel celecec..."
}

Yes, I did that. It's currently in the xdata/saintlucia.xd file. But at the moment it's not working, and I wondered if that's because it needs to be in the special FM folder directly underneath D3, rather than in the main mod structure. If not, then I did something incorrectly.

Yes, I did that. It's currently in the xdata/saintlucia.xd file. But at the moment it's not working, and I wondered if that's because it needs to be in the special FM folder directly underneath D3, rather than in the main mod structure. If not, then I did something incorrectly.

You've got it in the right place. It needs to be either in the \darkmod\xdata folder or the \<modname>\xdata folder. The name of the .xd file doesn't matter. The name of the xd entry does matter, so for example:

maps/saintlucia/mission_briefing

{

"num_pages" : "2"

"page1_body" : "test page 1"

"page2_body" : "test page 2"

}

One question: are you using tdmlauncher.exe to start TDM? Because if you're just running doom3.exe and you don't have the fs_game command line variables set up correctly, then any files in your \saintlucia folder won't be found. It sounds like you've got the file in \darkmod\xdata, so this doesn't apply in that case anyway.

Just set this up for blackheart. Nice and simple :)

However, the gui is a bit off - the text is drawn a bit left and up of the parchment.

But, I have fixed this and am uploading now. I've aligned it so that it is drawn only within the parchment. I have commented out the old values for reference.

Just set this up for blackheart. Nice and simple :)

However, the gui is a bit off - the text is drawn a bit left and up of the parchment.

But, I have fixed this and am uploading now. I've aligned it so that it is drawn only within the parchment. I have commented out the old values for reference.

Please don't comment out old values, just remove them! Reasons:

* when someone reads the source, the have no idea what the commented out stuff means or why it is there

* the actual reality (current value) and comments (commented out) get out of sync very fast

* it is not working, anyway, thats why we have the non-commented value

* if anybody is _really_ interested in the old values, they are stored in SVN and can be accessed by rolling back the version (you can even use the blamelog or the commit log to find out which rev you need!)

* if your reason was valid (but we need the old value), we would end up with dozend old values and only one new value for every tweak we make.

Polluting the source with dozends of commented out values is currently one of the big problems we have, there are so many commented out things all over the place and nobody knows why they are there or why one would want them, or why they have been formerly there.

All that matters is that it works now or what the value is now. If it is not right, then it will be tweaked anyway, without reference to the old value.

So please keep the source tidy :)

(There are exceptions of course, but the general idea is: get rid of old cruft)

That gui is still wip...I'm still working on the start menus. The parchment is likely to move again, which will mean the text will have to move.

Polluting the source with dozends of commented out values is currently one of the big problems we have

Wow, we must be further along than I thought if that's one of our "big" problems. :laugh:

@Tels: True, true. Ok, as soon as Spring has updated the parchment etc then at the same time we can remove the commented out values.

That gui is still wip...I'm still working on the start menus. The parchment is likely to move again, which will mean the text will have to move.

Will you be aligning the text also or do you want me to do that? It's easy either way. Your call.

I'm setting up three test packs : test_fm1, test_fm2, test_fm3. These are just empty rooms with a single Doom texture, light and player start plus text displayed to say what map is running. It will be useful for testing, as examples to mappers, and also I want to try it with Garretloader.

Got the three showing on the start mission menu and install 1st one get empty briefing screen.

I have this xd file in the the test_fm1 folder. I've also tried it in the pk4 itself

I am launching via tdmlauncher.exe

maps/test_fm1/mission_briefing

{

"num_pages" : "2"

"page1_body" : "Briefing test for test_fm1 : test page 1"

"page2_body" : "Briefing test for test_fm1 : test page 2"

}

BTW, no objectives or purchase screen yet. The shop did not show, not even empty, and the mission would not run it just showed the empty background of the gui menus.

The short description space is limited to about 7 lines by about 44 characters. Could that be extended a little? there is a fair bit of space over there? This is significant because TDM does not display the author' readme which Garretloader will do. In fact via TDM, players won't even know there is a readme.

Are you talking about the text displayed when you first select a mission in the New Mission screen?

If so, I already shrank the font size a bit to fit more text, but it could be expanded further. We might even want to have it scrollable.

Well, either it's broke or some info missing. I've been over and over this and can't get it to work. The xdata is as described here and on the wiki and yet no sign of it on the briefing screen. I've added more text in case it is printing in the wrong place and I can't see it, boosted the gamma. I just don't see it working.

I've got doom3\test_fm1 folder\xdata and the xd file in there.

There does not seem to be a single working example anyone can examine. (which I guess is one reason I'm doing this :))

Oh, if you're talking about the briefing, then yes, I didn't get it to work either, though I didn't have much time to play around with it.

I've brought over Springheel's GUI changes, and the briefing still works fine for my test cases. I even grabbed Fidcal's snippet of the xd file and put it in mine, and the briefing shows up fine.

Fidcal, can you make your entire test_fm1 folder available? Either SVN it somewhere, or email it to me at eby.jeff@gmail.com.

Also, could you (or anyone else who is having this problem, or is that everyone but me :rolleyes: ) try this: SVN Update \darkmod\fms\rain folder. Copy this entire folder (and subfolders) to the \doom directory. Run TDM (via tdmlauncher). New Mission. Select Rain, Install This Mission. After TDM restarts, select New Mission, Start Mission (should be Rain). Do you see anything in the Briefing parchment?