The Dark Mod Forums

Briefings

joebarnin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fidcal (or anyone else who is having this problem), could you grab the latest darkmod.pk4 and try something for me? I added some logging to the code the gets the briefing text from the xdata, maybe it will point me at the problem. Run the Rain Test mission from the Start Mission menu. When you get to the briefing page, bring up the doom console. There should be messages of the format:

WARNING: DisplayBriefingPage: <blah blah>

Please send me all of those entries. There should be at least 3, at the end of the log.

Thanks!

OK, here they are...

WARNING: DisplayBriefingPage: start

WARNING: DisplayBriefingPage: briefingData is maps/rain/mission_briefing

WARNING: DisplayBriefingPage: xd is null

Here is the full path to my xdata (just in case it is a path error)....

G:\doom3\rain\xdata\rain.xd

Okay, looks like tdmlauncher.exe isn't putting the currentfm in the command line when it spawns doom3. (I know I confirmed that you are using tdmlauncher, right?).

Here's a quick test: create a shortcut to doom3

Target: g:\Doom3\DOOM3.exe +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game rain

Start in: g:\Doom3

Run this, and you should see the briefing text.

Now I just have to figure out why tdmlauncher isn't working for you.

Yes, that got it working.

I'm using my own custom program launcher that directly references tdmlauncher.exe so that seems to explain that BUT...

When I looked in the shortcut it did not have the correct target anyway? Figure that out.

I'll set up my program launcher to reference the shortcut and then I'll delete the shortcut and re-install rain again to see if it creates it correctly .

Your custom program launcher should reference tdmlauncher.exe, not the shortcut. Sounds like even if your custom program launcher references tdmlauncher.exe, the briefing text doesn't show up.

If you manually create a shortcut to g:\doom3\darkmod\tdmlauncher.exe, and run it, do you get the briefing text. If yes, then there is something weird with the custom program launcher. If no, then there is a problem with tdmlauncher.exe.

In fact, you don't even need a shortcut to tdmlauncher.exe. Just browse to it from Windows Explorer. If you 2x click it from there, do you get briefing text?

The shortcut isn't necessary. Eventually our installer should create one for the user (on the deskop or in the Start menu), so I thought it made sense for us to test running tdmlauncher from a shortcut. Sorry I wasn't clear about that.

So, for some reason tdmlauncher.exe isn't working for you. I think I need to build a version of it that does some logging.

In the meantime, to you happen to have a process explorer-type program on your system? Like procexp.exe? If so, run tdmlauncher.exe and once TDM is up, use Process Explorer to look at the doom3.exe process. On the properties page you should be able to see the command line that lauched doom3.exe. I'd like to see what that is -- that's the command line that tdmlauncher.exe used to run doom, and it should (but probably doesn't) contain "+set fs_game rain"

Fidcal,

I've uploaded a version of tdmlauncher that logs information to a message dialog. It's called tdmlauncherLogging.exe and it's SVNed to the \darkmod folder (same place as tdmlauncher.exe). Grab it and put it in your \doom3\darkmod directory. Run it; it'll pop up a dialog. Do a screen grab of the dialog and send it along.

Thanks!

here we are...

---------------------------

tdmlauncher logging

argFileName: G:\doom3\darkmod\dmargs.txt

this exe: G:\doom3\darkmod\tdmlauncherLogging.exe

currentFMName: G:\doom3\darkmod\currentfm.txt

readFileLog: file is valid, buffer is rain

argFile: Found

command line:

doom args: +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game rain +set fs_game darkmod +set r_fullscreen 1 +seta com_allowConsole 1

doom3exe: G:\doom3\darkmod\..\doom3.exe

OK

Looks like your dmargs.txt file has "+set fs_game darkmod" in it? If so, remove it. Then try tdmlauncher.exe again - I bet you'll see the briefing text this time.

The "+set fs_game darkmod" in dmargs.txt is overwriting the "+set fs_game rain" that tdmlauncher is generating. Thus, the \doom3\rain folder is not on the path.

Yes, that's fixed it. Must have just pasted the full command line from the original shortcut.

OK, thanks, I'll check out the objectives screen & purchase shop and see if my 3 test FM packs all launch then maybe upload them.

But I can't get my custom launcher to work it. I am passing the arguments dmargs_Windowed.txt and dmargs_fullScreen.txt. Just searched the forums but can't find those mentioned. Must be here somewhere.

No, it's searching correctly because it just found this post! I know I didn't dream them up so where did I get them from? Did you pm me? wiki?