The Dark Mod Forums

Custom textures?

ReViliTy

Greetings.

Just gave the editor a shot and was really impressed. The ui and new features brung many smiles to my face after tinkering with d3/q4 editors so long.

So I thought it be neat to try and make a map with it for our Ruiner mod. The only problem I'm having is that our custom textures, pak file is named pak669, aren't showing up in the textures list. But I did see some of the extra textures from our pak file containing the maps and a few extra ones. That one is named maps08. I have all the material files starting their names like this "textures/ruiner/subdirectory/name" There have been no problems seeing them in the d3 editor. I did try renaming the pak file, but that didn't work.

Any clues? Or am I just blindly missing an option? :wacko:

Edited by ReViliTy

What extension does the pak file have? It needs to be PK4 for DarkRadiant to recognise the archive.

If it's a PK4 already, check if it's really a ZIP file, and if it still doesn't work, I can look into that, but you'll need to send me that PK4.

its a pk4 file. It only contains textures. We have two texture paks. one with used textures at around 74 megs in size for the demo. The other pak is 150 megs of unused textures for development later on.

I could send the texture file if needed. I had planned to eventually release all the textures after ruiners release. You guys would probably find some use for them in the dark mod.

Edited by ReViliTy

Wow, 74 MB is of course not small. For debugging, I would only need an example PK4, but I can deal with the larger file too. Let me know once the file is uploaded somewhere (can also be via PM if you want to be discrete before your release) - I'll also need some information about where you put the PK4 file and how your mod folder structure looks like, so that I can reproduce that situation on my machine.

It seems like the uppercase .MTR is the problem. Changing this to lowercase fixes it.

I guess I'll update the shader file parser to treat file extensions case-insensitively. Have you ever tried out whether the textures show up in a Linux version of Doom3, where file names are case-sensitive?

edit: I've committed a fix to SVN, which lets DarkRadiant's VFS handle the file extension case-insensitively in Windows environments. The next release will be able to handle your file without changes, although I'd recommend using lowercase file-extensions all the time.

edit2: Oh, and good luck for your release and thanks for the kind texture offer. I haven't looked through them yet, but if they fit our setting, we'd surely appreciate any donation of yours. :)

It seems like the uppercase .MTR is the problem. Changing this to lowercase fixes it.

I guess I'll update the shader file parser to treat file extensions case-insensitively. Have you ever tried out whether the textures show up in a Linux version of Doom3, where file names are case-sensitive?

edit: I've committed a fix to SVN, which lets DarkRadiant's VFS handle the file extension case-insensitively in Windows environments. The next release will be able to handle your file without changes, although I'd recommend using lowercase file-extensions all the time.

edit2: Oh, and good luck for your release and thanks for the kind texture offer. I haven't looked through them yet, but if they fit our setting, we'd surely appreciate any donation of yours. :)

Not sure why I went upcase, but I know I seen it somewhere else... just can't remember where at the moment.

I also haven't tried out doom3 in linux. I'll make note of this though. My brother uses linux, so I might start testing it there too. We've have request for making Hardqore linux compatable, and the same with Ruiner. But we have noone able to do this.

If your interested in the textures let me know. Their ment for dark midievil settings inside and outside. some are good, others are ok. I do plan on releasing them after Ruiner is released for public modding use.

cheers!