The Dark Mod Forums

Can the view-tilting while moving be turned off?

tzen

I am really looking forward to this. The Thief's Den was great.

But the head tilting left/right while moving makes me motion sick. :(

The settings we used in Thief's Den were the original Doom 3 settings. They have since been toned down. We can repost those settings here, or you can turn them off completely with the settings in the post above.

It's always tricky implementing head movement, swaying, etc. for character movement in a game. There's a fine line between making the movement seem natural and it feeling artificial or distracting. I'm sure the team will get it right. :)

Regardless of one person's or several person's opinions about what "feels right", there should be a slider in the menu in game that controls head bob and pitch like in several other games. I for one did not really notice the head bob, so it's fine for me. :)

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Oh, I agree, there should be an option in the Dark Mod menu to turn off head movement/body sway completely. Since this sort of movement will bother different players to different extents. Ideally, in addition to the Turn Off option, there would be a slider that would allow the lessening of these movement effects without having to turn them off completely. :)

Oh, I agree, there should be an option in the Dark Mod menu to turn off head movement/body sway completely. Since this sort of movement will bother different players to different extents. Ideally, in addition to the Turn Off option, there would be a slider that would allow the lessening of these movement effects without having to turn them off completely. :)

I would agree with that. Just recently I was running aorund a bigger map for quite somewhile, until I suddenly got very strong motion sickness (headache, "sick" feeling etc.) and I had to stop playing. It would be nice to disable te bob and see if it makes a difference.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Just an opinion, but I think the side-to-side rocking is off / needs adjustment. That said, I checked it against T2 (even made movies to compare) and it was damn close. Something about it just doesn't feel right. Maybe I'm subconsciously expecting more realism due to the better graphics, and our brains automatically filter out most of such bobbing.

Anyway, making this available to the user is one of the great things about an open mod built on a flexible and open engine. :)

Nah, people been getting sick all the way back since Wolfenstein, heck even some people threw up in the arcades with the old 80's vector Star Wars 3D movement. It's just a vertigo thing, doesn't always work the same with people

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Just an opinion, but I think the side-to-side rocking is off / needs adjustment. That said, I checked it against T2 (even made movies to compare) and it was damn close. Something about it just doesn't feel right. Maybe I'm subconsciously expecting more realism due to the better graphics, and our brains automatically filter out most of such bobbing.

Anyway, making this available to the user is one of the great things about an open mod built on a flexible and open engine. :)

Yeah, it's tough to get it matching T2 perfectly. The D3 settings don't seem to allow fine adjustment of the head movement. What I setup won't match T2 perfectly though, as I toned it down to help some folks who found T2 to be too bouncy.

Nah, people been getting sick all the way back since Wolfenstein, heck even some people threw up in the arcades with the old 80's vector Star Wars 3D movement. It's just a vertigo thing, doesn't always work the same with people

And a painful barrier for interesting people in FPP games. Is there a way to relieve equilibrium balance disorders?

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

• 1 month later...
The settings we used in Thief's Den were the original Doom 3 settings. They have since been toned down. We can repost those settings here, or you can turn them off completely with the settings in the post above.

This is great news. The tilting, especially while crawling, was far too excessive for me. I thought it made the character seem kind of clumsy.

SS

• 4 weeks later...
And a painful barrier for interesting people in FPP games. Is there a way to relieve equilibrium balance disorders?

Probably the same way that ballet dancers and figure skaters can spin around in circles a million times without getting dizzy; by doing it over and over again, your body gets used to the movement and compensates. IE you don't get dizzy anymore.

Probably the same way that ballet dancers and figure skaters can spin around in circles a million times without getting dizzy; by doing it over and over again, your body gets used to the movement and compensates. IE you don't get dizzy anymore.

That's not how I heard it. The way it is ballet dancers and figure skaters are in a constant dizz, they just get stable when they spin...

:D Just kidding.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

But did these dancers have equilibrium problems in the first place? I myself don't have problems but will still get dizzy as a drunk if I spin on my axis a hundred times.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

But did these dancers have equilibrium problems in the first place? I myself don't have problems but will still get dizzy as a drunk if I spin on my axis a hundred times.

Anyone can learn to control their equilibrium when dizzy, and not get sick and puke as far as I know.

I had a friend in gradeschool who used to hate getting dizzy as she would always puke after like 10 turns, but her mother enrolled her in figure skating and after about 1 year she could spin in a circle for hours and not get sick or dizzy.

I mean, a skater has to be able to spin around in circles and come out of it and be able to continue right? They do it all the time and don't get sick. As far as I know, getting dizzy from being spun is partly due to the inner ear, the fluid that helps balance you when your eyes are closed.

But if you have some problem that you were born with, like extreme sensitivity to motion sickness, then I'm not sure how much you can improve on that. But maybe not as my brother used to never be able to read in the car for more than 5 minutes without feeling like he was going to puke, but now he can read for hours without feelings sick. And me, I can read all day all night while the car does doughnuts and I won't get sick.

I know a guy who puked during a game of Prey

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Some of those Prey moments had me feeling odd movements in my stomach (for the first time ever in gaming), but not enough to actually feel sick or bad, just interesting (and it impressed me so I bought the game!)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif