The Dark Mod Forums

2d help

shotgun

greebo: The normal maps are rendered similarily, but the surface detail in each is unique. A single NM would mean clean surfaces, or at the most arbitrary surface detail.

I don't have any 1024s. I played and examined all the artwork in doom3 to realize 512 works fine. Yes, 1024 is better, but let's just say I don't have the resources currently :). I think 1024 is appropriate for characters (which I am totally willing to do), just like id Software did it.

Yes, all these textures are being made solely for you guys. Use'em, abuse'em, or throw them away, whatever you want. I'll be glad to see it in your project. Regardless, I intend to make much, much more.

The new yellow texture, as well as a new sewer texture -- tomorrow morning.

Sounds good, thanks. Would you be willing to prepare these for upload into our repository? It's nothing too spectacular (DDS conversion, naming convention, shader preparation plus upload), but it would help getting some of the workload off the back of other Team Members.

It's of course not a problem if you say you want to stick to the mere texture creation, we'll find somebody on the team who takes care of the upload process then.

Basically, if you're willing to stick around and get a grip of the preparation process, there's technically nothing stopping you from becoming a TDM Contributor.

greebo: The normal maps are rendered similarily, but the surface detail in each is unique. A single NM would mean clean surfaces, or at the most arbitrary surface detail.

I don't have any 1024s. I played and examined all the artwork in doom3 to realize 512 works fine. Yes, 1024 is better, but let's just say I don't have the resources currently :). I think 1024 is appropriate for characters (which I am totally willing to do), just like id Software did it.

It would be really good if you could make them 1024 at least, because:

* downscaling is really easy, but once we have only 512x512, we can't make them better (easily)

* someday someone wants to make a variant of your texture, and having more pixels will result in a better second version

* if the texture is used on a wall and you walk close, you start to see low-res textures pretty easy. Don't even need one of these fancy 1600x1200 monitors :)

* having textures all in the same resolution keeps the graphical quality consistent. It looks a bit odd if some wall uses 512x512 pixel while the next one has 1024x1024 because usually you can spot the differences.

Anyway, great work :wub: And thanx!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Tels: "if the game let's you do it - it's not cheating" = lol

I understand the practical nature of high-rezzing, it's just a lot more effort, and I personally don't consider it worth it. I'd rather spend my effort on the quality of the texture itself than on the quantity of it.

The major issue, as you've noted, is the consistency. At this point, I cannot revert, and would prefer to follow the same specs Doom3 used, although I'll understand if I have to switch to 1024 else you couldn't use any this.

greebo: I use the same name conversion DoomED does. Tell me what you require and I'll rename them accordingly. I am willing and able to stick around for at least 3 months. I have no other commitments at this point except becoming proficient with NM map texturing, and hopes to contribute as much as I can to this project. I feel I could be of more use if I could review what has been done so far, and see where is it going.

Yellow texture set now renamed to sewer and includes 2 versions:

yellow_ed.JPG

sewer_ed.JPG

Sewer - download here.

The moss textures download links have also been updated with less radioactive moss versions.

At this point, I am set to move on to specific variations (adding grates, designs, etc.) to any of the given themes, or proceed to create new ones (interior manor, skinning world objects, etc.). What's da plan boss?

Edited by shotgun

The major issue, as you've noted, is the consistency. At this point, I cannot revert, and would prefer to follow the same specs Doom3 used, although I'll understand if I have to switch to 1024 else you couldn't use any this.

We have lots of 512x512 textures, and I don't think consistency is a serious concern since textures get used at plenty of different scales in a map anyway. 1024x1024 would be great for any future textures though.

greebo: I use the same name conversion DoomED does. Tell me what you require and I'll rename them accordingly. I am willing and able to stick around for at least 3 months. I have no other commitments at this point except becoming proficient with NM map texturing, and hopes to contribute as much as I can to this project. I feel I could be of more use if I could review what has been done so far, and see where is it going.

Sounds like you're set to apply to Contributor status then :) - just drop a PM to New Horizon and let him know that you want to contribute textures. We'll set up a thread for you where I can guide you through the texture creation process plus set up your SVN access.

To summarise what has to be done for these textures you can have a look at this article:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...to_The_Dark_Mod

For your textures, this would boil down to:

• Find a suitable name, according to our conventions on the wiki
  • Create the DDS diffuse maps (and specular maps, if there exist any)
  • Create the JPG editor image (256 pixels max.)
  • Create a shader which contains the frob-highlighting and ambient stages
  • Send that package to me and I'll see if anything's missing.
  • Upload to darkmod + darkmod_hires

As soon as you have contributor status, you can also upload the textures yourself once you have your SVN account readily set up. We have a startup thread in the internal forums, which will explain all the details.

I understand the practical nature of high-rezzing, it's just a lot more effort, and I personally don't consider it worth it. I'd rather spend my effort on the quality of the texture itself than on the quantity of it.

You can also try to use photos as a basis and work a nice texture out of that. It's a lot less time consuming and highres is no problem either, but there is always the risk, that the normal looks like crap in the end and then the hard work starts... :)

Yea, I realized the height template is fundamentally crucial for a decent NM to be generated, without it you have no control over the shapes and it's just too sketchy.

EDIT: Sorry! should have seen this coming. Here are a couple of law-enforced versions then:

darkmod.jpg

Hehe, looks cool, but let me just be the first to jump in and say "you can't use the title 'Thief', sorry". So, it's just "The Dark Mod", period. Copyright stuff, gotta keep it on the up and up :)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Yea, I realized the height template is fundamentally crucial for a decent NM to be generated, without it you have no control over the shapes and it's just too sketchy.

Well, you can do a lot of tweaking with crazybump and then you can still enhance the nmap with some modeled stuff. You can get damn fine results this way... Not always correct of course, but acceptably wrong. :)

Here's another texture, this time very low-relief. Carpeted floor type:

carpetted_preview.JPG

I'm looking for feedback about the colors/feel of the texture, once that's affirmed I'll provide the variations in design.

As for the logo posted, is there interest in using it? would you like to see different color variations or anything?

I think it would make a fine rug or tapestry design.

As for the logo posted, is there interest in using it?

To be honest, I'm not sure what we'd do with it. We already have our own logo designs.

No offense shotgun, I really like your textures but a logo like that can be done in less than 5 minutes with cinema 4d or other tools. Also, its colors don't connect to TDM. But since this team already has a logo, this discussion is pointless anyway.

• 1 year later...

hello i need some one my login and my sistem have problems. a bug or some thing.

I log in and then went i try to enter some manga then i appear as if i was not log in please what do i do some one help me. i really apreciate. send me a sing please. for the love of. thanks god is has return to normal. sorry for over react

my