The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant GTK Upgrade

I have an experimental build here, which is using the latest Win32 GTK headers and libraries:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/DarkRadia...t-0.9.7pre5.exe

Can a few people give this build a shot and report back...

- whether it loads/starts at all?

- whether you can minimise/maximise the windows properly?

- experience any strange hangs after loading a map (like it was previously reported)?

Any tests are appreciated. If this is successful, I'm going to switch the SVN trunk to the most recent GTK+ 2.12.9 version (edit: argh, got the version number wrong the first time)

Any tests are appreciated. If this is successful, I'm going to switch the SVN trunk to the most recent GTK+ 2.19.2 version.

Are you sure that 2.19.2 is a stable release? The odd minor version number usually indicates a testing release, which might not be suitable for releasing software.

Argh, I got the version number wrong: I meant to type 2.12.9.

2.19 is not even existing, so that's utter crap either way. I also noticed that I even got the version number wrong in the branch names! Say it with Liquido: Shoot me, I'm a fool.

I have an experimental build here, which is using the latest Win32 GTK headers and libraries:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/DarkRadia...t-0.9.7pre5.exe

Can a few people give this build a shot and report back...

- whether it loads/starts at all?

- whether you can minimise/maximise the windows properly?

- experience any strange hangs after loading a map (like it was previously reported)?

Any tests are appreciated. If this is successful, I'm going to switch the SVN trunk to the most recent GTK+ 2.12.9 version (edit: argh, got the version number wrong the first time)

I will give it a shot, I always use the latest builds of everything so I'm used to instabilities.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Just a quick look and first thing I see immediately is that the background to the main window is not refreshing. If I say, drag resize the camera window smaller it leaves a cascade of images behind. I don't mean temporary. If I switch to another program and back then it clears (which is why I can't post a screenshot.

Set 'load last map on start'

Re-open DR and camera view is way up high, it's top off the top of the screen and I can't see any background window. Fortunately I have a key macro to move windows up and down so I can drag the camera window back down. Now it is not updating the left button bar and status bar at all - even if I switch to another program. They are gone. Still leaving stream of ghost images when I move resize child windows.

Loaded again and windows in correct position. Button bars show.

ditto plus now I am moving windows about with only temporary trail of ghost images.

Mmm... loading again behind this while typing. When I check progress all its windows whited out and loading progress showing also white.

Wait, wait, eventually progress window disappears but all still white. It has crashed. Have hourglass cursor execpt on title bar. Close program. DR not responding.

Great. <_ i losing my faith a bit in that gtk stuff it working on the one system and others doesn can see any of these issues you described here not machine at work either.>

Can you try to move your user.xml away for a few tries? Maybe this helps a bit.

Just started leaving a trail of windows again. Once buttons and menus are obscured you can't really use it.

I notice this because I have to keep windows around all the time as there just is not enough room on my monitor for other than camera and ortho. Everything else has to overlap as needed and so often needs dragging out of the way.

Yes, here it is. Just after this I moved the windows round a bit more and it recovered and the button bars showed again. Open light inspector and transform dialog again and dragged around but now it wouldn't go wrong. I can't figure out why it only does it sometimes. Can't see any common pattern yet...

post-400-1211813501_thumb.jpg

I assume it has something to do with either GTK having a bug or your system being slightly different to others (such as mine or AluminumHaste's).

What happens if you double-click the background window's title bar (to un-maximise the window)? Do the window's contents get redrawn?

I assume it has something to do with either GTK having a bug or your system being slightly different to others (such as mine or AluminumHaste's).

What happens if you double-click the background window's title bar (to un-maximise the window)? Do the window's contents get redrawn?

I don't use floating windows, I'll switch to that view and see what's what.

EDIT: Nope, floating window mode looks fine.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

un-maxing and restoring seems to redraw it. Un-max might be related as so far I've not been able to make it go wrong when un-maxed - but un-max has problems of its own. It automatically sets min width which changes depending on what text is displayed in console. So often it will not even fit on the screen. I'm now trying 1600 x 1200 desktop but I can barely see to write this it is so tiny.

I tried docking the windows with regular left.It seemed OK for a while but when I dragged the console up and down it smeared all over. [EDIT this was back in 1152 res]

I'll try it for a while un-maxed but nearly full screen with floating windows like I normally would but in 1600 x 1200 but only to test to see if it throws any light on the problem - it is unusable (unless I resize desktop fonts and then we are back to square one.) Normally I have 1152 x something desktop.

Ok, I just discovered that the "type into treeview to lookup stuff" function is no longer working in this GTK version. I'll have to try another "stable" release, whatever this means in GTK terms. <_>

The typeahead stuff seems to be a clean GTK+ issue, there's a thread in another forum talking about the same bug. It wasn't filed on the gnome bugtracker yet, so I went ahead and reported it. Let's see what happens, but I won't hold my breath.

I tried another GTK+ runtime version 2.10.11 and it seems to work as well.

Fidcal and anybody else: could you give this one a shot and see if it produces the same weird behaviour as the pre5 package above?

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/DarkRadia...t-0.9.7pre6.exe

I can't get this to run. I get something like 'Failed to start because config incorrect' This is a new install in its own new folder and I then renamed the original docs and settings folder so effectively it's a new install with no prior settings but still the error. Anything missing in the archive?

I've uploaded a new package (replacing the old one), maybe this will fix the issue:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/DarkRadia...t-0.9.7pre6.exe

Scratch that, my fault. I packaged a DEBUG build, which will not work on your system, as the VC runtime debug libraries are not installed on your end, of course. I'll have to recompile, but this takes ages on this system, stay tuned.

Gah! I just found out that the ModelSelector is not working anymore with the newer GTK+ versions (both 2.12.9 and 2.10.11). After clicking OK, the application crashes with some GL assertion. The other GL widgets seem to work ok, but the ModelSelector goes crazy. I don't know whether this is a problem with the ModelPreview widget or a GTK issue, but fact is that it worked with the old GTK 2.8. Maybe GTKGLExt is not working in newer releases, I don't know.

I think I'll just throw this damn GTK upgrade out of the window - I wasted so many hours already.