The Dark Mod Forums

My Map, Posible app for Beta position

Slash

Early stages of a Mansion map im working on. the story line is already planned out but not willing to talk about it cause i want it to be a suprise.. but tell me what you think... i know the textures are all the same. there are no tourch's and there is just a lack of some tiny detail's. but there is alot more to this map im not showing, mostly cause its not up to stuff. this is just some of the basic's. tell me what you guys think.

btw still new at the editor and recaping on what i learned a while ago. but im still very much interested in beta mapping positions. rate now im consentrating on my map design and layout. making sure i have made it large enough and its just has a good flow. then im going to go in and design the trim. add textures tourchs doors, finish will city part. all in all im 55% done with the layout and look im goin for with this FM, Remember theres alot im Not Showin or tellin :blink:

let me know what you think, i like critisisum lol. makes me try harder.

shot00003mu3.jpg

shot00001hp7.jpg

shot00002un7.jpg

shot00019zj3.jpg

shot00002un7.jpg

shot00008qh5.jpg

shot00006xh7.jpg

Edited by Slash

well doom3 takes screen shots in TGA files.. and i dont have photo shop installed so i used a converter and really it reversed all my Shoots lol.... i knew someone would notice. everythings backwords. just imagin that its the other way around lol. thx for the feed back man.

Hahaha LOL. I was going to say "heh, a left hander" :P

Anyways, pretty decent for Default D3 textures. As I recommended to BEAR, you might consider checking out the textures/hell/ folder - there are some wood textures there and brick textures. It will give you the opportunity to at least get it looking similar to thief style.

In any case, you may want to consider installing Thief's Den if you haven't already - It's our first alpha release and has many TDM textures in it (mind, not all). This will help you get a map using decent textures going. As a sort of "hack" you can copy the materials and textures folder to your base folder if you really want to use D3 but use TDM textures.

You definitely have a good handle on architecture and brushwork. I'd give you my vote for betamapper status.

Hahaha LOL. I was going to say "heh, a left hander" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Anyways, pretty decent for Default D3 textures. As I recommended to BEAR, you might consider checking out the textures/hell/ folder - there are some wood textures there and brick textures. It will give you the opportunity to at least get it looking similar to thief style.

In any case, you may want to consider installing Thief's Den if you haven't already - It's our first alpha release and has many TDM textures in it (mind, not all). This will help you get a map using decent textures going. As a sort of "hack" you can copy the materials and textures folder to your base folder if you really want to use D3 but use TDM textures.

Lol yea i know. looks weird seeing my map backwords :blink:

I will definitly do that tho. and i have played thief's den like 50 times. ill load that up real quick. i belive i have it on a flash drive around here somewhere. but thanks to everyone for the support. it would also be cool to learn how to add proper lighting in to my map. tourchs! but thats the futur.

You definitely have a good handle on architecture and brushwork. I'd give you my vote for betamapper status.

thats Great! id love to take part in this anyway i can. ive played the thief series since grade school. all time Favorit game.. of all time. just let me know if im definitly up to stuff.

Edited by Slash

ok i got the textures in my base and they show up in my consol.. but only a few load in my browser? actually i can only see like. 6. lol little help

I wish we had coordinated this a little bit, you are making me look bad >:[

Just joking, you're stuff does look great though. My map is far to square and symmetrical, it needs some curves and I've not messed with them enough.

Very promising and once you have the Den assets and textures and get a better idea of the style and they should be great. One thing to keep in mind is that earlier architecture, heavy stonework etc needs more support so try to avoid lengthy expanses of overhead ceilings - include pillars, buttresses, archways, etc.

By browser do you mean editor? Are you using Dark Radiant?

Can you show specifically the paths you have set up? If you have put maps and textures and materials folders all in the doom base folder they should work - I'm not so certain about def files.

My game directory is in C:\doom3

my maps folder and textures and materials folder is in C:\doom3\base\maps or textures or materials.

i belive this is the correct way and my game is 100% up to date. with the dark mod alpha installed and working. i wonder why this is? is there a codec i need or some sort of fix? why can i not see the textures?

the are tga files. does that resort in to a problem with D3 edit? i can not open tga files and look at them on my PC. that could also be why... i need proper support for opening these files.

also any news on my posible beta mapper position? im learning still but ive got the feel for mapping. need some brushing up on my lighting and AI info w/ D3 but still would love to create some maps and hand them over to you guys. with my name in a book some where in there or something lol.

Edited by Slash

So you have :

C:\doom3\thiefs_den

|_ maps

|_materials

|_textures etc. etc.

and you have copied or moved all the resources out of those to...

C:\doom3\base

|_ maps

|_materials

|_textures etc. etc.

That should still work though they would work in the thiefs den folder if your shortcut is pointing to that as described in the Thiefs Den install info on the wiki. What is the command line in your shortcut to run TDM and to run the editor? eg,

C:\doom3\DOOM3.exe +set fs_game thiefs_den

C:\doom3\DOOM3.exe +set fs_game thiefs_den +editor

The tga files are supported by both doom and editor - it does not matter if you do not have any support for them in Windows (though it helps if you need to view them) Same with dds files.

[EDIT] I should add that although you might still be able to use the textures if you have extracted them you still need to run the TDM maps through Thief's Den. To produce and play TDM maps you need to run them through the mod

im reinstalling doom 3 and the dark mod alpha. haveing some in game issues. even in single player. may have been a bad patching cause i didnt encounter a problem.

and i did oppen the editior threw the alpha and i could see the textures!!! if i open the editor threw the dark mod alpha and save my maps in that directory will it load the game with the light crystal and TDM weapons? is it better to mod threw the alpha for me the straght threw D3?

NM Got it goin. its Great!!!!! just a quick question. i have the tourch flames working. where is the tourch its self?? the metal peace that conects to the wall? yea know lol. but other then that i think i can make a darn good thief map now.

I'm pleased to hear you got it all working good now.

The torch is models/darkmod/lights/extinguishable/torch_metal_wall.ase

Remember, you can always load the thiefs_den.map into the editor and examine it.

That brings up a question I had about that. When I view thiefs_den.map, most of the assets say shader not found or whatever, is that a mistake or are those things without example images or something? I can see some things but it makes it pretty hard to figure out what is going on. Similarly, most of the assets in thedarkmod folder (textures) say shader not found as well, I've tried applying some in the chance that they just don't have a sample image but they never seem to work either. I was trying to use some transparant glass for a window and there seem to be files for them but none of them work, is that an issue of them being placeholders for real files or an error in my setup?

Can you post the command line for your editor please?

Do you mean the console? I'm using DR so I cant just do ctrl+alt+~ or whatever, unless there is another way.

OpenGL window configuration: colour-buffer = 32bpp, depth-buffer = 32bpp
OpenGL window configuration: colour-buffer = 32bpp, depth-buffer = none
ToolbarManager: Instantiating toolbar: texture
EventManager: Shortcuts found in Registry: 317
Definition not found: 

That is what I get when I open the editor.

ToolbarManager: Instantiating toolbar: texture
EventManager: Shortcuts found in Registry: 317
Definition not found: 
Loading map from C:/games/Doom 3/thiefs_den/maps/church.map
Open file C:/games/Doom 3/thiefs_den/maps/church.map for read... found information file... success
[infoFile]: Parsed layer #0 with name Default
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/common/caulk
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/hell/cbrick2b
[shaders] Loaded texture: _white
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/darkmod/roof/slate_uneven_withmoss01
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/darkmod/plaster/plaster_01
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/darkmod/wood/boards/scratched
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/caves/cavgrate1
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/hell/dirt02
ToolbarManager: Instantiating toolbar: textool
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/hell/cbrick3
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/hell/qfloor_ed
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/hell/wood1
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/base_floor/a_sofloor1_d02c
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/hell/cbrick2c
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/hell/hhconcrete
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/darkmod/wood/panels/panel_carved_rectangles_02_light
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/darkmod/wood/boards/worn_large
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/hell/stone1
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/panel_square_dark01
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/darkmod/plaster/framed_01
Definition not found: textures/base_floor/a_sflgrate2_alpha
[shaders] Loaded texture: lights/squarelight1
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/darkmod/door/wood/diamond_pattern01
 RenderablePicoSurface: using shader doorhandle_curved_01
[shaders] Loaded texture: models/darkmod/props/textures/anchor_d
 RenderablePicoSurface: using shader bc_lockbox
[shaders] Loaded texture: models/darkmod/props/textures/lockbox
 RenderablePicoSurface: using shader textures/common/collision
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/common/collision
 RenderablePicoSurface: using shader textures/common/shadow2
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/common/shadow
 RenderablePicoSurface: using shader bc_gear_steel
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/darkmod/metal/flat/steel_scratched01
[shaders] Loaded texture: textures/darkmod/door/metal/large_warehouse_old_green01
map load timer: 10.78 second(s) elapsed
--- LoadMapFile ---
C:/games/Doom 3/thiefs_den/maps/church.map
2862   brushes
44     patches
177    entities

Thats what I see when I load my map. I'm not sure thats what you want to see though.

When you run Doom itself you presumably run it from a Windows shortcut on your desktop? Or perhaps a shortcut in your start menu or on your taskbar?

You need a separate shortcut to run Dark Mod as described in the wiki article where you downloaded Thief's Den @ http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Thief's_Den. If you right click the shortcut and select properties you should see the command line with something like C:\doom3\DOOM3.exe +set fs_game thiefs_den.

If you are using DoomEdit you also need another separate shortcut for the editor with something like...

But if you are using Dark Radiant you need to check the config instructions for that. In Dark Radiant's menu : edit > preferences > Game in the game Mod window you need to have thiefs_den I believe.

When you run Doom itself you presumably run it from a Windows shortcut on your desktop? Or perhaps a shortcut in your start menu or on your taskbar?

You need a separate shortcut to run Dark Mod as described in the wiki article where you downloaded Thief's Den @ http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Thief's_Den. If you right click the shortcut and select properties you should see the command line with something like C:\doom3\DOOM3.exe +set fs_game thiefs_den.

If you are using DoomEdit you also need another separate shortcut for the editor with something like...

But if you are using Dark Radiant you need to check the config instructions for that. In Dark Radiant's menu : edit > preferences > Game in the game Mod window you need to have thiefs_den I believe.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood what you meant. My thiefs den shortcut is ""C:\Games\Doom 3\Doom3.exe" +set fs_game thiefs_den", and DR is set to thiefs_den as the fs_game as well. A lot of assets and textures show up just fine, but there are a ton that don't and I wasn't sure if they were supposed to.

An example is in plaster, framed_01 and framed_02 and framed_old_decorative_01 and plaster_01 work, but the other 9 show as shader not found, I've not tested every one that has this to see if it would show up in game, but the ones I have tried all do not. It may just be these are placeholders that I'm not supposed to have, I don't know. Like, should framed_with_bricks01 and 02 show up anything? Or halftimber_gables? Of all the wood textures, only scratched and scratched_dull show up, none of the others do.

I did condump like you said in a different thread and attached it, in case there is anything interesting there. When I played thiefs den it worked just fine.

I wouldn't spend too much time messing with me if this is indeed not right, I was just curious if I was supposed to be seeing more usable textures than I am. If I am I'll reinstall or play with it.

DOOM 1.3.1.1304 win-x86 Jan 16 2007 15:36:51
2613 MHz AMD CPU with MMX & 3DNow! & SSE & SSE2 & SSE3 & HTT
2048 MB System Memory
512 MB Video Memory
Winsock Initialized
Found interface: {F7FE4141-0D5C-4D11-A33E-30655D38905D} NVIDIA nForce Networki
ng Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport - 192.168.1.104/255.255.255.0
Found interface: {C90D87F5-D1CA-488B-ADA5-A38D6C3DCB1A} Hamachi Network Interf
ace - Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS Miniport - 5.163.13.211/255.0.0.0
Sys_InitNetworking: adding loopback interface
doom using MMX & SSE & SSE2 & SSE3 for SIMD processing
enabled Flush-To-Zero mode
enabled Denormals-Are-Zero mode
------ Initializing File System ------
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\Copy of pak004.pk4 with checksum 0x765e4f8b
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\game00.pk4 with checksum 0x29cdb978
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\game01.pk4 with checksum 0x51c6981f
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\game02.pk4 with checksum 0xf3ec6f7
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\game03.pk4 with checksum 0x5d4230ea
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak000.pk4 with checksum 0x28d208f1
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak001.pk4 with checksum 0x40244be0
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak002.pk4 with checksum 0xc51ecdcd
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak003.pk4 with checksum 0xcd79d028
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak004.pk4 with checksum 0xe4bde4b7
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak005.pk4 with checksum 0x8ffc3621
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak006.pk4 with checksum 0x95b65ab
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak007.pk4 with checksum 0x666bdb3c
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak008.pk4 with checksum 0x23ae5993
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\skybox.pk4 with checksum 0x647109de
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\base\WaterSource_1.0.pk4 with checksum 0x175b4c78
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\thiefs_den\darkmod.pk4 with checksum 0xae7f9fe1
Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\thiefs_den\game01-base.pk4 with checksum 0xd29e6284

Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom 3\thiefs_den\thiefs_den.pk4 with checksum 0xb87d41de
Current search path:
C:\games\Doom 3/thiefs_den
C:\games\Doom 3\thiefs_den\thiefs_den.pk4 (44 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\thiefs_den\game01-base.pk4 (2 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\thiefs_den\darkmod.pk4 (2 files)
C:\games\Doom 3/base
C:\games\Doom 3\base\WaterSource_1.0.pk4 (17 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\base\skybox.pk4 (28 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak008.pk4 (3 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak007.pk4 (38 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak006.pk4 (48 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak005.pk4 (63 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak004.pk4 (5232 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak003.pk4 (4676 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak002.pk4 (6120 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak001.pk4 (8972 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\base\pak000.pk4 (2698 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\base\game03.pk4 (2 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\base\game02.pk4 (2 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\base\game01.pk4 (2 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\base\game00.pk4 (2 files)
C:\games\Doom 3\base\Copy of pak004.pk4 (5137 files)
game DLL: 0x0 in pak: 0x0
Addon pk4s:
file system initialized.
--------------------------------------
----- Initializing Decls -----
WARNING: file materials/tdm_water.mtr, line 392: material 'textures/water_sour
ce/neon' previously defined at materials/neon.mtr:1
WARNING: file materials/tdm_water.mtr, line 452: material 'textures/water_sour
ce/blood_1' previously defined at materials/blood_1.mtr:1
WARNING: file materials/toxin.mtr, line 27: material 'textures/water_source/to
xin' previously defined at materials/tdm_water.mtr:334
WARNING: file materials/water_clear.mtr, line 27: material 'textures/water_sou
rce/Water_clear' previously defined at materials/tdm_water.mtr:1
------------------------------
------- Initializing renderSystem --------
using ARB renderSystem
renderSystem initialized.
5166 strings read from strings/english.lang
Couldn't open journal files
execing editor.cfg
execing default.cfg
execing DoomConfig.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
5166 strings read from strings/english.lang
----- Initializing Sound System ------
sound system initialized.
----- R_InitOpenGL -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...registered window class
...registered fake window class
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'opengl32' ): succeeded
...created window @ 0,0 (1288x1058)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...creating GL context: succeeded
...making context current: succeeded

------- Input Initialization -------
Initializing DirectInput...
mouse: DirectInput initialized.
keyboard: DirectInput initialized.
------------------------------------
sound: STEREO
...using GL_ARB_multitexture
...using GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
...using GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
...using GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
...using GL_ARB_texture_env_add
...using GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two
...using GL_ARB_texture_compression
...using GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
...using GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
  maxTextureAnisotropy: 16.000000
...using GL_1.4_texture_lod_bias
X..GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette not found
...using GL_EXT_texture3D
...using GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
...using GL_NV_register_combiners
...using GL_EXT_stencil_two_side
X..GL_ATI_fragment_shader not found
X..GL_ATI_text_fragment_shader not found
...using GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
...using GL_ARB_vertex_program
...using GL_ARB_fragment_program
...using EXT_depth_bounds_test
---------- R_NV20_Init ----------
---------------------------------
----------- R200_Init -----------
Not available.
---------- R_ARB2_Init ----------
Available.
---------------------------------
----- R_ReloadARBPrograms -----
glprogs/test.vfp
glprogs/test.vfp
glprogs/interaction.vfp
glprogs/interaction.vfp
glprogs/bumpyEnvironment.vfp
glprogs/bumpyEnvironment.vfp
glprogs/ambientLight.vfp
glprogs/ambientLight.vfp
glprogs/shadow.vp
glprogs/R200_interaction.vp
glprogs/nv20_bumpAndLight.vp
glprogs/nv20_diffuseColor.vp
glprogs/nv20_specularColor.vp
glprogs/nv20_diffuseAndSpecularColor.vp
glprogs/environment.vfp
glprogs/environment.vfp
glprogs/arbVP_glasswarp.txt: File not found
glprogs/arbFP_glasswarp.txt: File not found
-------------------------------
using ARB_vertex_buffer_object memory
using ARB2 renderSystem
found DLL in pak file: C:\games\Doom 3\thiefs_den\darkmod.pk4/gamex86.dll
copy gamex86.dll to C:\games\Doom 3\thiefs_den\gamex86.dll
game using MMX & SSE & SSE2 & SSE3 for SIMD processing
enabled Flush-To-Zero mode
enabled Denormals-Are-Zero mode
--------- Initializing Game ----------
gamename: baseDOOM-1
gamedate: Jan 17 2008
Initializing event system
...700 event definitions
Initializing class hierarchy
...160 classes, 313600 bytes for event callbacks
Initializing scripts
Compiled 'ai_character_prone::state_Idle': 333.7 ms
---------- Compile stats ----------

Memory usage:
    Strings: 38, 4880 bytes
 Statements: 24183, 483660 bytes
  Functions: 1192, 125472 bytes
  Variables: 81980 bytes
   Mem used: 1199856 bytes
Static data: 2277552 bytes
  Allocated: 2827252 bytes
Thread size: 7068 bytes

...8 aas types
game initialized.
Parsing material files
------------ RCF Server started -----------
-------- Initializing Session --------
WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'sound.wav' using default
session initialized
WARNING: Unknown string id #str_07202
--- Common Initialization Complete ---
------------- Warnings ---------------
during DOOM 3 initialization...
WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'sound.wav' using default
WARNING: Unknown string id #str_07202
6 warnings
guid set to N1N73rVyBZM
]condump console.txt
Dumped console text to console.txt.

If I recall correctly, we shipped all of our material definitions, but not all of the actual texture image files. Thief's Den was only about 400 MB large - it would have been too much for this alpha demo to release the entire DarkMod texture repository. So for now, you'll have to work with what you got, or apply as Beta Mapper.

That brings up a question I had about that. When I view thiefs_den.map, most of the assets say shader not found or whatever
Yes, but you ought to be able to see all the textures that are in Thief's Den. Can you confirm this? Maybe we didn't include all the editor images? Oh I see - you mean you can see all the textures that are used in the the Thief's Den map itself but looking in media browser you are seeing all the other definitions as well - the ones that are not used in Den. Yes that explains it. So you need to stick to the ones shown in Texture Browser.

That must be a nuisance starting a new map. Problem is, we never planned for mappers to make maps from the Thief's Den resources - it was an afterthought.

Ah, that makes it make more sense now, I had a feeling it was something like that. Its not a real big deal, hopefully when I get the map a little more fleshed out it will be adequate to get access to more materials. It will give me motivation :)

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try to not be such a pain in the ass if I become a betamapper :)