The Dark Mod Forums

Bug report

avengingwatcher

I checked the forums and didn't see a topic in relation to this, so I apologize if this has been already brought up. Once I used the compass it stuck on my inventory items and made my inventory unusable. I couldn't turn the compass fully off but i could cycle through two of the items in my inventory, but I wasn't able to use them. I had to go outside and pick up another item for the inventory before I could use it correctly. Also once I had it working the gold status was displayed over the inventory. I don't know if this one was my fault or what.

Aside from that this is an absolutely amazing piece of coding. The world was fully beautiful and the AI was smart as hell. The water and lighting effects were brilliant. I personally didn't like not being able to jump from ladders, but that's my preference and I'm not gonna knock it because that could mean more coding.

If you need more info on this let me know and I'll try to reproduce.

My stats for my pc in case you need them

Windows XP

1 gig ddr ram

amd 3800+ 2.4 ghz

radeon x1650

EDIT: I have been play testing it again to see where it messes up and I have found that this is easily clearable in game cycling through the inventory with the [ or ] keys. The problem lies in the - key to get to the inventory. So I don't know if the compass is supposed to stay up when you use the - key for the inventory but that is what is causing the problem for me. Noticed another cool thing though. I hit the fat guy with a gas arrow while he was next to the torch in the courtyard and it knocked the torch out as well. I thought that was awesome, though I am not sure if that was intended. So if I wasn't clear let me know, and if I was just being dumb and breaking the game by doing something I wasn't supposed to let me know.

Edited by avengingwatcher

I checked the forums and didn't see a topic in relation to this, so I apologize if this has been already brought up. Once I used the compass it stuck on my inventory items and made my inventory unusable. I couldn't turn the compass fully off but i could cycle through two of the items in my inventory, but I wasn't able to use them. I had to go outside and pick up another item for the inventory before I could use it correctly. Also once I had it working the gold status was displayed over the inventory. I don't know if this one was my fault or what.

Aside from that this is an absolutely amazing piece of coding. The world was fully beautiful and the AI was smart as hell. The water and lighting effects were brilliant. I personally didn't like not being able to jump from ladders, but that's my preference and I'm not gonna knock it because that could mean more coding.

If you need more info on this let me know and I'll try to reproduce.

My stats for my pc in case you need them

Windows XP

1 gig ddr ram

amd 3800+ 2.4 ghz

radeon x1650

EDIT: I have been play testing it again to see where it messes up and I have found that this is easily clearable in game cycling through the inventory with the [ or ] keys. The problem lies in the - key to get to the inventory. So I don't know if the compass is supposed to stay up when you use the - key for the inventory but that is what is causing the problem for me. Noticed another cool thing though. I hit the fat guy with a gas arrow while he was next to the torch in the courtyard and it knocked the torch out as well. I thought that was awesome, though I am not sure if that was intended. So if I wasn't clear let me know, and if I was just being dumb and breaking the game by doing something I wasn't supposed to let me know.

Hi, and welcome to the forums :)

I'm glad you liked Thief's Den - it was created by Fidcal, and we all had much enjoyment in playing it as well.

As for the bug reports - a lot has changed since Thief's Den, and many bugs are now no longer bugs. As for jumping off ladders, you can do so simply by facing away from the ladder and pressing jump - I'm not sure why it did not work for you.

The gas arrow taking out torches is intended, as it theoretically "chokes" the torch of air. It was also discussed whether it should be flammable but was decided against.

BTW, what framerates were you getting?

Aside from that this is an absolutely amazing piece of coding. The world was fully beautiful and the AI was smart as hell.

Thanks. You'll be glad to hear that we've moved an quite a bit since then. :)

EDIT: I have been play testing it again to see where it messes up and I have found that this is easily clearable in game cycling through the inventory with the [ or ] keys. The problem lies in the - key to get to the inventory. So I don't know if the compass is supposed to stay up when you use the - key for the inventory but that is what is causing the problem for me.

Can you elaborate these steps a bit more? What do I need to do to reproduce that problem (as detailed as possible). I ran into that bug months ago, but I had not time to debug it back then. If you could give me instructions, I could fix it perhaps.

There are some bugs in the alpha but im sure they have all been fixed. that was the point of the alpha.

as for FPS i havent clocked it but 100% smooth for me. ill run fraps on it later. but my system is

AMD X2 5000 BE clocked at 3.0 ghz

Nvidia 8800 GTS 512 PCI ex 2.0

3 GIG's of DDR2 800

MSI AMD spider platform mother board 4x PCI ex.

soon to be two ATi 4870's. lol

Definitly no problems running Doom 3 or the the dark mod alpha.

all on ultra with full AA

Looks very nice seeing thief's den to perfection.

everytime i talk about the alpha i just have to say how awsome it was. this game has come so far and its a real acheivment for the cult following of thief. if there is a thief 4. i think this will be more thief then eidos can make THIEF. even thos its really thief lol. great job. what i want to know about is will there be a offical campaing/game that release's with the mod? all you guys need is to take the best coolest thief like beta maps. including largest and nicest and make a storey line that intreveins with them.. would be awsome!!!!!!!

Edited by Slash

There are some bugs in the alpha but im sure they have all been fixed. that was the point of the alpha.

as for FPS i havent clocked it but 100% smooth for me. ill run fraps on it later. but my system is

AMD X2 5000 BE clocked at 3.0 ghz

Nvidia 8800 GTS 512 PCI ex 2.0

3 GIG's of DDR2 800

MSI AMD spider platform mother board 4x PCI ex.

soon to be two ATi 4870's. lol

Definitly no problems running Doom 3 or the the dark mod alpha.

all on ultra with full AA

Looks very nice seeing thief's den to perfection.

everytime i talk about the alpha i just have to say how awsome it was. this game has come so far and its a real acheivment for the cult following of thief. if there is a thief 4. i think this will be more thief then eidos can make THIEF. even thos its really thief lol. great job. what i want to know about is will there be a offical campaing/game that release's with the mod? all you guys need is to take the best coolest thief like beta maps. including largest and nicest and make a storey line that intreveins with them.. would be awsome!!!!!!!

That's a good system indeed.

BTW, if you like bloom, then in the console put r_bloom 1. Also, if you want to configure it then here are settings you can play around with (along with the defaults I use):

r_bloom 1
r_bloom_contrast_min 0.9
r_bloom_contrast_mult 1.3
r_bloom_buffer 5
r_bloom_blur_mult 1.2

That gives you a bloom effect of about Oblivion level. You can turn it down or up if you wish.

Also, another option that is not performance demanding is the rotoscope shader that we've been allowed to use, which makes the game look like a noir cartoon.

To turn it on put g_rotoscope 1

Hehe. Dram loves himself some bloom effect. ;) (Me, I keep it firmly turned off, which is of course the default, and will remain so. I likes my graphics sharp and clear. Thankfully this is not a gameplay-affecting preference.)

As for ladders, there are a number of ways to detach from them, mostly thanks to Ishtvan's work on climbing. You can press crouch to drop off the bottom (my personal favourite touch), mantle up onto nearby surfaces to climb out of the top, or just get your feet onto solid ground which will automatically detach you (this only works if the mapper has put the ladder texture far enough down that you can reach). Jumping off should also work, if you're facing away from the ladder.

Once you get used to it, it's quite a natural and flexible system (and usable for things other than ladders too - vine-covered walls anyone?). Ladders are always tricky to get right in games; there's a subtle balance between making it difficult to fall off accidentally, but easy to detach when you want to. TDM nails this closer than any other game I've seen, including Thief where I always had problems with getting on and off ladders.

what i want to know about is will there be a offical campaing/game that release's with the mod? all you guys need is to take the best coolest thief like beta maps. including largest and nicest and make a storey line that intreveins with them.. would be awsome!!!!!!!

There will certainly be some maps released. At the moment we're planning for each one to be standalone, as they won't necessarily fit together thematically or story-wise. I don't think anyone will really miss that though; you'll be too distracted by, well, everything else. ;)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Hehe. Dram loves himself some bloom effect. ;) (Me, I keep it firmly turned off, which is of course the default, and will remain so. I likes my graphics sharp and clear. Thankfully this is not a gameplay-affecting preference.)

Yeah I wanted to set it hard coded to ON. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *power-trip* :P

Realistically though, it is just a graphics option, so anyone can use it if they wish. You can use it very slightly and get a highlights boost, or a lot and get a blurred scene.

Have you tried the rotoscope shader btw Crisp?

Thanks. You'll be glad to hear that we've moved an quite a bit since then. :)

Can you elaborate these steps a bit more? What do I need to do to reproduce that problem (as detailed as possible). I ran into that bug months ago, but I had not time to debug it back then. If you could give me instructions, I could fix it perhaps.

well i would hit the k key and the compass came up, then i would try to use my inventory groups by pressing the - or = key. The compass image got "stuck" for lack of a better word. The inventory groups wouldn't cycle and I couldn't get rid of the compass image or use any inventory items that showed up. I ended up fixing it by using the [ or ] keys to cycle through the inventory that way. So in short to get the problem i pressed k to bring up the compass and then tried to go to my inventory using the - key and it made the inventory area go all crazy like.

I did play through again..okay like 5 or 6 times because I really enjoyed it so much and you are right. I wasn't turning far enough away from the ladder to jump. As an aside I ordered Doom 3 just to play this. I came to the Thief world late in the game and think that the work you guys have done with this mod is better than A LOT of commercial products out there. You guys really are what is great about the internet and playing this game has been the only good thing to happen today...seriously my car broke down on the way to a job interview, i rescheduled, had my wife come home from work and drop off the car, sent her back to work, drove an hour to get to the interview and they canceled it, on the way home i got stuck going between 2 and 5mph because they were line painting and almost go pulled over by a cop for legally passing that same truck who was going consistently 10mph under the speed limit...this game is really the best thing to happen to me today. Oh yeah it's my birthday...this pretty much happens every single year. lol hope someone feels better after reading the day i've had...

Just a question, would it be possible to create a campaign for TDM? I mean is it even possible, or would you just have to say these group of maps go together? I would be really interested in trying to put one together once my current life gets a bit less hectic, otherwise I will just try and throw some maps together. I don't really know what is needed as far as coding skills to make maps, but I know I won't have too much trouble with any of it and there is a wiki.

Dram I was getting between 30 and 40 fps outside and between 40 to 60 inside. For consistency I was getting 35fps average outside and 45 fps inside. Thats with anti-aliasing on to max, 1280x1024 screen resolution and all the other graphic settings ot the max. The game ran very smooth.

Edited by avengingwatcher

Have you tried the rotoscope shader btw Crisp?

Not until just now, though I had looked at your screenshots. It is pretty cool! I love the comic-book noir style in general, and it's quite neat to be able to see it in full-3D motion. Interesting how well it works even with art assets designed for realism.

Only problem is it pushes out all the dark (ambient-lit) areas to black, so I couldn't see what the bloody hell I was doing in a standard TDM map. :) Would be interesting to see someone design a map intended to be played with the rotoscope shader. With appropriate lighting, a noir plot, etc.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

The gas arrow taking out torches is intended, as it theoretically "chokes" the torch of air. It was also discussed whether it should be flammable but was decided against.

Exactly what type of flammable effect was decided against? A small kaboom when gas hits a flame source would add some interesting possibilities.

Exactly what type of flammable effect was decided against? A small kaboom when gas hits a flame source would add some interesting possibilities.

Well it was weighed up to problems - such as the AI holding a torch essentially getting killed by the gas arrow due to explosion. On the other hand, it would be interesting to have it flammable and alert the AI if the player was not careful and it lit up.

I have neutral feelings either way.

I don't think it needs to be flammable, but if it ever does become so then maybe just a flash of it burning up quickly but not big and explosively, so it acts as a flash bomb rather than a mine or fire arrow at that point.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Yeah, the rocket launcher particle effect isn't entirely appropriate. :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, the rocket launcher particle effect isn't entirely appropriate. :laugh:

Have you checked out any of the other IdTech 4 games? Prey, Quake 4 for something usable? Do any of these games have a flamethrower? I know its not the same engine, but Return to Castle Wolfenstein had some awesome flame effects. If you could look and see what they did to produce them, it might not be hard to re-do with the IdTech 4 core/base. Just a thought.