The Dark Mod Forums

Test GarrettLoader version

potterr

UPDATE 31/07/08 - updated from test version 1.415 to test version 1.4171

If anyones interested below is a link to a test version of GarrettLoader.

GL_1_4171.zip

You will need GL 1.41 already installed as this is just a patch file to it.

NOTE: This is for testing The Dark Mod FMs purposes only and is not a full release of GarrettLoader

1. Back up your Existing "Program Files\GarrettLoader\GarrettLoader.exe"
  2. unzip the GarrettLoader.exe from the zip and place it in your GarrettLoader install folder (program files\GarrettLoader)
  3. Start up GarrettLoader as normal.

NOTES:

• The CHECK FOR UPDATES setting in GLs config is enabled by default in this test version. This is so you only have the 1 file to deal with manual patching, GL will patch the other additional files (see list below).
  • Serveral Bugs have been fixed, but there are a few unfinished features in this version that simply won't do anything (these are mainly just the sorting by FM Category Lists).
  • The Dark Mod is hopefully supported now properly (details on setting up FMs to run in GL are listed under the THE DARK MOD help content which is part of the initial patch download)

The initial Auto Patch download will likely be quite large with a lot of files, however you can pick and choose what you download (the HELP and GARRETTLOADER updates are preferable, as these contain the needed documentation and additional patching files).

Core Patch includes these files:

• 00000409.256a to 00000409.256e - these are used for Thief 2 Splash Screens (enabled via the GAMES tab in GLs Tweaks tool, its limited at the moment)
  • intellitext.txt - this is the reference file GL uses for the new Intellitext feature
  • manifest.txt - this file lists all the files in the core patch and where they should go.
  • GLPatch.exe - this is the patcher file. Normal patches will include a new version of GarrettLoader.exe which means GL will need to be closed in order for its exe to be replaced. The only real way I found of doing that properly is to do a sperate exe. It runs from 1 specific place and only does what the manifest.txt file tells it to.

If you come across any bugs please let me know in thie thread or in a PM, or if you just want to comment on how it handles Dark Mod FMs also let me know.

EDIT: removed some of the info here as it was too much info.

Edited by potterr

GL16x16.gifNEW 03/Sept/06 GarrettLoader 1.41 GL is a replacement for Darkloader which plays SS2, Doom 3 & Thief 3 FMs as well. With support for Half Life 1 and 2 and a lot more games as well.

GL's FM Scores System

If you have tried this and were not getting any updates, sorry about that, I updated the perl code on the updater page late last night, I accidentally deleted a ; at the end of a line of code so the perl web page was erroring. It should now be updating correctly now.

GL16x16.gifNEW 03/Sept/06 GarrettLoader 1.41 GL is a replacement for Darkloader which plays SS2, Doom 3 & Thief 3 FMs as well. With support for Half Life 1 and 2 and a lot more games as well.

GL's FM Scores System

Not very soon though because the link doesn't work. Nor can I find it in the downloads on the site. ???

Sorry about that, I missed the .uk from the domain name (should have tested the link before posting really, just tested the download now and its all working).

Komag, the main thing that you need to think about it to backup your existing GarrettLoader.exe and extract the exe from the zip to replace it. All the rest of the text is just me trying to give too much info again.

GL's FM Scores System

Sorry - been busy with so many things but it's on my list of stuff to do and I will get to it soon as I can and report. :) I will probably do a separate install of Doom. Does GL install anything in the Doom folders?

Has anyone had a chance to have a go of this yet?

Any issues to report or does it work ok with a proper DarkMod install?

Sorry, I don't have windows, so cannot test it.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Sorry - been busy with so many things but it's on my list of stuff to do and I will get to it soon as I can and report. :) I will probably do a separate install of Doom. Does GL install anything in the Doom folders?

Thats ok, no rush.

GL will add to the root of the doom/Dark Mod folder:

• Current_install.txt - a list of files in the currently installed FM so that it can be removed cleanly.
  • original_backup.zip - a zip of any files that would be overwritten by the FM install. This is restored when another FM is installed or if the original missions are restored.
  • thiefs_den.txt (example) - this is the readme of the currently installed FM which should be in the root of the zip.
  • Other GL related files found in the FM zips (GLTITLE.JPG / GIF, thiefs_den.GLL -example loot list, etc)

Other than that its just whatever is in the FM zips, except exes, html files or dlls (with exception to devil.dll for the moment).

GL's FM Scores System

Isn't TDM supposed to be designed to not need a separate mod manager?

It is, as others have mentioned.

For info though, GL has been around since 2005 handling all the Dark Engine games,Thief 3,Half Life 1,2 and Doom 3. As it handles doom 3 Maps its not much to get it handling Dark Mod FMs as well, although I am not 100% sure about the folder structure that it installs to yet but this version should handle it ok.

Its an alternative to TDMs manager and its all dependent upon what you prefer to use.

GL's FM Scores System

Maybe because they are already using it for their other Thief games and would like to use just one program for everything.

I think some might also use it since it tracks community scores and other information. For anyone who just wants to play TDM though, our menu will be all they need.