The Dark Mod Forums

Lights

BlackThief

Are those meant to be electric? I always assumed they were gaslights in there.

Looks good though. :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We definately need to include more classic style objects like this. It's just a really nice nod to the classic games. Something TDS could have done but didn't. I fully expected to see some hi quality versions of the classic models in T3...not that I expected the whole game to be like that...but just enough to establish the game worlds physical continuity. I won't bother veering off into a rant about the horrible models in T3. I shall leave that honor to oDDity. His models are "the way things should have been". :)

It would be nice if we put together a nice little screen shot later down the road with some classic style models and textures. Mmmm, classic style street lamp would be nice too. ;)

We shouldn't overdoe this though, even though I would love to see that. This was exactly what saphire scar was attacked upon, remember? That they had models recreated exactly as it were in the original game, even though it was just some wrench (or something rather common).

Gerhard

they can't attack me at all ! I didn't use ANY of their textures nor of their models !

the shape of the model isn't the same ! it's NOT a copy ! they can't attack me, just because it looks similar....if you just argue, that it looks similar - what about the thousands of mods, that have a model of an AK-47 or a M-4 ? do they have to go to court, just because their models look almost identical to the ones of operation flashpoint or whatever ?

and whatabout thievery ? they recreated a dozen of objects of T2...

Edited by BlackThief

they can't attack me at all ! I didn't use ANY of their textures nor of their models !

They can. SS also didn't use their models. They just modeled it EXACTLY as it was on the original game. I don't know if they can sue us just because we have SOME models exactly looking like theirs, though. Don't know if there is something similar to citazion in this field, so we could claim that 99% of the gamecontent is ours and a light or two doesn't really matter for the overall content. Sine we are doing most of our models with a totally new look that would be the case. I really would like to have these original models in, just not to much of them.

the shape of the model isn't the same ! it's NOT a copy ! they can't attack me, just because it looks similar....

They can attack you on any basis they like. :) The question is if they will get a sentence supporting it. :) They could even attack you on the basis that your nick is BlackThief if they feel like it. :) It all depends on how good a laywer is in finding arguments, and how good the judge is.

if you just argue, that it looks similar - what about the thousands of mods, that have a model of an AK-47 or a M-4 ? do they have to go to court, just because their models look almost identical to the ones of operation flashpoint or whatever ?

If the weapons are released through the game, I wouldn't be surprised if the game developers licenced the look fo the weapons from the manufacturer. After all, this is the same isse with soccer games. They can't just slap the name Oliver Kahn ona model that looks similar like him.

and whatabout thievery ? they recreated a dozen of objects of T2...

Just because something is not attacked doesn't mean that WE don't get attacked. Thievery is IMO a different case, because they are multiplayer. They ar enot in direct competition with Thief. We are. So it could very well be that we might be attacked while others are not. And as NH said. Our trailer created also quite some buzz. It shows that we can deliver high quality content, and that we can be a threat to a professional game company. And considering our models and animations, we are. I guess, if we would create a complete new game with our own idea, we have a good enough quality to put it to the market. Even better than some games out there where you have to pay for them. :)

Gerhard

They can. SS also didn't use their models. They just modeled it EXACTLY as it was on the original game. I don't know if they can sue us just because we have SOME models exactly looking like theirs, though.

I didn't model it EXACTLY - I did some improvements and added a lot detail - just compare it with the original model ;) anyway I'd really like to ask some lawyer because I want to know it DEFINITELY, what the european/US copyright laws say about that issue. does anybody know a lawyer, so that we don't have to pay ? :D

i dont think all the stuff is copyrighted...this way we could say..hey i incuded a barrel now all who want to include barrels in their games will pay me...

not to mentino that there are tons of companies (who sell their games and get paid)

do copy various things(from visual styles,to gameplay elements..just think of the tons of WC3 clones..) and they dont get sued..now think that this is only a mod..

but the risk is allways there....

I didn't model it EXACTLY - I did some improvements and added a lot detail - just compare it with the original model ;) anyway I'd really like to ask some lawyer because I want to know it DEFINITELY, what the european/US copyright laws say about that issue. does anybody know a lawyer, so that we don't have to pay ? :D

My cousin is a lawyer. I'll try to get hold of him and ask him a few questions. :) As long as we're not using their models I don't see any problems coming up. Especially if they are not exact replicas and are just inspired by the original, as yours was. :) While Thievery was indeed multiplayer it is still possible to get pretty thiefy in it. Especially when you see some of the textures they have ingame...if they're not the original textures, then by george they're great recreations. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

ok, I'm back working on the gas-light. I re-uvmapped the whole thing --> now it has 2 shaders. one for the metal-stuff etc. and one for the glass part. eventhough it doesn't look that bad ingame there're still some problems:

1. the distortion of the glass is IMHO a bit too extrem (you can see it on the screen)

2. D3 doesn't use my alphamap and I'm not sure why :unsure: that's why you can still see some black parts on top of the glass.

3. black-line along the glass, when you look at the object from a distance. I already noticed that in blender, so it seems to be a model-issue. Atti - any idea, what causes those lines?

post-5-1106767343.jpg

Edited by BlackThief

maybe the shader or the uncorrect alpha causes it..

it looks great btw:)

btw: there was a little simbol between the lamp and wall..you know the symbol of the family/house..will we include that as separated alpha mesh so fm authors can vary it or even create their own?