The Dark Mod Forums

Real-Time Global Illumination for Dark Mod.

BringerOfDawn

15 members have voted

1. 1. Need Real-Time Global Illumination for Dark Mod?

• Yes
    • No

I don't see how we would do this without the doom 3 source code, as the renderer is closed to us.

In any case, I don't feel this is something Dark Mod needs. It's a game style that takes place mostly in dark areas. Eye candy is far less important than gameplay.

Aren't you a graphic engine developer, and didn't you offer to help us a few weeks ago? We're still interested if you have time. We don't require Real-Time Global Illumination, but if you would like to help us work on the renderer in Dark Radiant, that would be appreciated.

GIs make lightning very realistic and that is especially in dark places, so every sneaker would do very well with them. But yeah, how do you want to implement it without access to the sourcecode? :)

At about 10 FPS, this isn't useful for current hardware, not to mention slightly older hardware (which our target audience has).

It would also make a redesign of the entire levels nec, possible make completely different lighting and workflows nec.

Others have mentioned the closed-source renderer.

so, in short, would be cool to have, but a more pressing need would be an interactive renderer for preview in DarkRadiant, or fixing the many other small issues TDM currently has.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Implementing something like this right now would indeed eliminate our target audience. Considering we just managed to find some very creative ways to improve our performance on a wide range of older systems, it would be suicide to put more eye candy in...just to get 'more realism'. Gah. The gameplay is far more important than all these graphical whistles. The original Thief games got by just fine without them...and they're still going strong today! Don't buy into the hype.

I want the hype! :D (but only after source code released, maybe in a couple years)

If something like this is doable with the code at that point, that really bodes well for the long-term future of the mod :)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I'm getting decent performance with Vista in ALL programs I can run, it's the programs without drivers that's an issue ;(

Anwya, I didn't read the article but that screeny isn't all that impressive from what I could tell. I think screens from the Darkmod look better.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Doom 3 uses OpenGL anyway, so assuming all the required functionality is exposed through OpenGL extensions (which it should be) then DX 10 is not an issue. (Take that, Microsoft! :D )

And yeah, I'm with Komag - definitely not now, but after the renderer source code is released and in a few years, as an option? Heck yes!

@Baddcog: It looks like crap because it's a tech demo. If you did the same thing with TDM assets I'm sure it would look a lot better. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I'm getting decent performance with Vista in ALL programs I can run, it's the programs without drivers that's an issue ;(

Well I've got Vista only installed for games and in Crysis I got half the fps I get under XP on maxed out details (cfg editing). Same with many other games (Bioshock, Lost Planet). Maybe you should install XP once again and you'll realize how much of an performance push you get. :)

Well you're welcome to check out the code and have a look at it if you want, it is available on SourceForge SVN at:

https://darkradiant.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/darkradiant/trunk/darkradiant

The renderer code is in radiant/render; it has undergone minor refactoring but is essentially the same renderer as GtkRadiant. It is a two-pass renderer which groups surfaces by shader (material), and optionally renderers in lighting mode making use of a Cg/ARB shader program.

• 1 month later...

Haha, yeah ... it's like "well, the hype fooled you guys the first time, so rather than focusing on all the problems, let's get back to looking at that original hype." They aren't even coy about it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.