The Dark Mod Forums

offer help/ become mapper

Flanders

hi there,

I also want to offer my help to the project. I've been a fan of the thief series since thief 1 and build some levels with dromed (never published though, most were never finished).

Lately I've been figuring out how the doom 3 editor works and began to build a thief style mansion level.

So I really want to know what sort of help is needed at this stage and how to become a beta mapper.

here are some screenshots

You seem to have exceeded your Geocities quota. :( You should be able to attach images directly to your post, unless that's a permission granted only to team members (I'm not sure). Otherwise imageshack et al sometimes work. (Sometimes being the operative word. :rolleyes: )

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Hot damn that's impressive considering you have only the D3 textures to use (and your own of course).

You definitely have my vote.

Send an email to New Horizon and we'll get an application thread set up for you.

Yes those look pretty good! The application for Beta mapper is sometimes a couple weeks (to see how committed you are and how well you can work with the materials over some time), but if you keep up great work like that you should be accepted.

I would suggest at this point getting yourself set up with Dark Radiant and the Thieves Den assets (which is sort of an intermediate step to full mod access), as this will give you (and us) a better feel for how it will all be. DR is similar to Doom Edit, but you'll probably have to "unlearn" a few things (but it's worth it, DR is WAY more powerful and feature rich than Doom Edit, and the only small drawback is the current lack of a good realtime rendering preview)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Very, very nice, especially with such limited resources. I love that door texture, did you make that yourself?

You definitely have the artistic and mapping skills necessary. The only other thing we ask of beta-mappers is enough dedication to stick it out and not disappear after a few weeks.

I echo what Komag says about downloading the Thiefs Den alpha (you can use the wiki link at the top of the forums to find it). It includes a set of limited art assets, including some AI, that you could use. If you're willing to stick around for a week or two, you'll be a shoe-in for beta-mapper status.

Thanks guys! I used some textures from a multiplayer doom 3 map called evil empire found on the net, search for evil_empire_mappack. Some textures there are nice though quite small. I only made one texture myself.

I got the thieves den and radiant working now, I'll get started and keep you informed on my progress.

Is it possible to use dark radiant with only the thieves den installed? When I try to compile the map an error window pops up: "doom3/darkmod process not running". Can I fix this?

I am not sure, but it might be that the compilation from DR is either not working (not compiled in/activated) or you don't have both DR and doom running.

You need either:

* run D3 and DR at the same time for it to work

* or alternatively, compile your map with dmap mapname OR testmap mapname inside D3

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Dmap does something, but it's still not compiling properly. New brushes and lights won't update when change my map.

So the error when I hit compile map (and have doom running) is:

"Doom 3/DarkMod process not running".

I thought it might be a directory problem. I now have thiefs_den as my fs_ game mod directory, but changing it to darkmod and renaming the thiefs_den map in my doom folder to darkmod gives the same error.

Dmap does something, but it's still not compiling properly. New brushes and lights won't update when change my map.

Did you save your map in DR, then open D3, then "dmap mapname" your map?

If it is not updating this way, you very probably have a leak in the map. Look at the console, does it say "LEAKED"? If so, load the "pointfile in DR (via the "File" menu) it will show path from one entity to the leak.

I thought it might be a directory problem. I now have thiefs_den as my fs_ game mod directory, but changing it to darkmod and renaming the thiefs_den map in my doom folder to darkmod gives the same error.

Not sure about this, sorry :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The compile map functionality within DR is likely to not work properly. It's been disabled in our internal beta. I'm not sure what state it was at at the time of the Thief's Den release, but I'm not entirely surprised that it's not working for you.

Stick with dmap. It should work as long as you've saved your map, and it has the same filename as the one you're giving to dmap and map. Also make sure you are running the mod when you do it, not vanilla D3.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

The dmap command in DarkRadiant has been disabled in the recent snapshots as it was causing a lot of build problems. Also, large maps are usually running into memory troubles as D3 and DarkRadiant can eat up more than 2 GB RAM very quickly.

I assume you're using DarkRadiant 0.9.6 where this plugin is still included. Technically, you need to run DarkRadiant and a "Dark mod process" at the same time for this feature to work. A "dark mod process" would be Doom 3 with +set fs_game darkmod running (i.e. our custom gamex86 module being loaded and active). The Thief's Den release of darkmod has this feature enabled by default (the D3 process needs to be run with +set fs_game thiefsden in this case of course).

Anyway, this feature has not been very stable so it has been disabled in the latest builds - the dmap console command works just as fine and you can also define a few keyboard shortcuts for the dmap/map commands to save even more typing.

You can also press the up and down arrow keys in the console to scroll through the commands that you've previously entered, which can save a fair amount of typing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from holiday, so I don't have much to show you. Here just some pics of custom materials made from own photo's and files found on the internet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28993893@N04/...ith/2773386307/

Must say I like dark radiant, especially the edge/face/vertex selection cause it's just as in any 3d modelling program. Also finished Fidcal's A-Z tutorial.

So, can I get full mod access soon?

So, can I get full mod access soon?

Hey Flanders, I like your work so far. :)

I recently replied to HappyCheeze with regard to becoming a Beta Mapper, and this is what I wrote. I'll just copy the relevant part here, as it applies to all who want to get access to the main mod.

To get an application thread, please drop a PM to New Horizon to give him a heads up about this thread. He'll set up Applicant permissions for you.

I'll post the usual disclaimer here:

So, beta mapper status should not be seen as just a wild card to get the latest resources from us. Not only you get access to our SVN repository, you usually have the team's support when running into problems. We can't possibly expect you to return that favour, but we do hope you might help us getting the mod forward.

Many beta mappers have signed up in the past. Often it went like this: they ambitiously created their maps, posted the screenies, applied, became a beta mapper, got access to the resources, ran into the usual newbie problems, we helped them out, they finally got started and after a few weeks they vanished for good - all that was left was a couple of forum posts and lost developer time. Before applying, you should ask yourself: will I be one of them or not?

That might sound harsh - but don't get me wrong, that's not me trying to discourage you. But I wanted you to see the team's perspective too, to understand how things can be going.

That being said, be sure to drop New Horizon that PM and we'll see you in the Applicant's forum. :)

I think the technical side of your application is well served, you definitely have the skills. :) As you've assured us that you intend to stick around and stay with us for a longer timespan, there's nothing speaking against you becoming a beta mapper, if you ask me.

What do my fellow team mates say?

I think the technical side of your application is well served, you definitely have the skills. :) As you've assured us that you intend to stick around and stay with us for a longer timespan, there's nothing speaking against you becoming a beta mapper, if you ask me.

What do my fellow team mates say?

Agreed :)