shotgun

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

errr ok. busted?

:laugh: Knew it was a good idea to check. ;)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/ has a ton of old paintings (and other stuff) under various free-to-use licences. Do check the individual licences as there may be strings attached.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Very nice! I think I actually like this painting better. :)

Love the carpet too BTW.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Here's the finished rock. Now to add variations to this?

- moss + half moss (for fading)

- mud + half mud

- oozes blood from cracks??? yes!!! GIBS KILL MUWHAHA

sorry too much quake lately. well what else? not sure 'drips from the top' is valid here.

stone_bacrack_edweb.JPG

Download - stone_bacrack

I'm thinking of going back to the older bricks textures I made, and trying to push the normals there (it really doesn't work well with the rest of the mod textures) and while I'm at it add the vars there.

Also - a question: if I want to have my carpet is some weird size, I make it 1024^ with alpha? and the normal is the same?

Here's the finished rock. Now to add variations to this?

- moss + half moss (for fading)

- mud + half mud

- oozes blood from cracks??? yes!!! GIBS KILL MUWHAHA

sorry too much quake lately. well what else? not sure 'drips from the top' is valid here.

That stone looks awesome!

As for the textures, what we really really need is some sort of "texture matrix" where we can either view all the textures by theme, or vote on themor whatever, and then someone goes and removes all the textures that are "bad" from the sets.

I don't think we have currently any overview on which textures actually exist.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I don't think we have currently any overview on which textures actually exist.

Well, the theme-ing idea should be by necessity, I imagine, in terms of environment. You take a theme, say sewers, create your palette, prominent shapes in design, then make all relevant textures necessary for this environment to be complete. Id Software's art direction follows these steps very well, imo. So if we want to see what we have vs. what we're missing, I'd approach the sorting with 'what is it going to be used for' rather than 'what type of material is it'.

Anyway, I was looking into the normals of the old bricks textures I made and decided to try push them. I dunno, many of them look poor in many ways. I'm not quite happy with how this turned out, but it's definitely better than before.

bricks_drycanal_edweb.JPG

Dry water canal bricks

I guess the next step would be to add a wetter version with some moss, etc

Small update - moss version...

bricks_drycanal_moss_edweb.JPG

...and props to the stone_starpod set

stone_tile_starpod_prop_edweb.JPG

Any suggestions as to the variations? what kind and to which texture?

I was thinking about adding a 'waterline' version to the moss above, like halfway it gets really like dark sea-weedy moss around the waterline, for city canals and such. I'll also make a half-moss version for transition

Any suggestions as to the variations? what kind and to which texture?

The mossy stone you posted looks good. Maybe you could come up with a "trim" version of that, the kind of large stones you put below or on top of that texture?

Small update - moss version...

Love it!

I was thinking about adding a 'waterline' version to the moss above, like halfway it gets really like dark sea-weedy moss around the waterline, for city canals and such. I'll also make a half-moss version for transition

That all sounds good to me.

Would you explain what you mean?

I'll try. ;)

What I mean is that mappers are likely to place your texture onto a wall. What would they place above that wall? They need some kind of "top" stone, which might consist of larger stones, like this:

TRIM TRIM TRIM TRIM TRIM TRIM <<< a different tex, 
TRIM TRIM TRIM TRIM TRIM TRIM <<< matching the style of your wall tex
-----------------------------------------
WALL WALL WALL WALL WALL WALL
WALL WALL WALL WALL WALL WALL	 <<< your wall texture

I don't know the English description of this off-hand, maybe somebody else understands what I mean and can explain?

I understand the percept of trim texture, I just didn't understand the large stones part. Same texture, half the vertical size, with larger blocks?

No problem. I'll make a single block or 4-blocks 256^ as well. It would be nice if we had some gargoyle model or some other sculpt I could texture with this stone.

Another Q: the carpet above is at odd size. Do I use an alpha for the diffuse/spec/normal to clear the space around it, or must scale it to exactly usable format?

I understand the percept of trim texture, I just didn't understand the large stones part. Same texture, half the vertical size, with larger blocks?

Yes, that's the lines I was thinking along.

No problem. I'll make a single block or 4-blocks 256^ as well. It would be nice if we had some gargoyle model or some other sculpt I could texture with this stone.

If you can produce the texture above just with a more homogeneous normalmap (i.e. without stone shapes in them), I can use that as skin texture for the existing gargoyle models. I can whip up a test if I can get hold of your diffusemap.

Another Q: the carpet above is at odd size. Do I use an alpha for the diffuse/spec/normal to clear the space around it, or must scale it to exactly usable format?

All texture dimensions should be powers of two (64, 128, 256, 512, 1024). I'd rather not use alphas, this would be a waste of pixel space. Just scale the texture to the next larger power of two and let the mapper scale it down, or produce the texture to look good at powers of two in the first place.

If you can produce the texture above just with a more homogeneous normalmap (i.e. without stone shapes in them), I can use that as skin texture for the existing gargoyle models. I can whip up a test if I can get hold of your diffusemap.

I made it totally homo(geneous), no bricks pure rock. You want me to devide this into, say, 4 bricks?

stone_drycanal_edweb.JPG

Downlost post

I also updated the oldy stone_lava texture with a better normal and less radioactive colors. I reckon it can act as a proper ground texture to go along with the above ones, just needa be renamed etc. I'll probably end up re-normal-mapping da'lot of them old bricks.

I made it totally homo(geneous), no bricks pure rock. You want me to devide this into, say, 4 bricks?

Yes, something similar in style as the one you posted above, but with different block sizes.

I can't even say whether it will look convincing, but it's worth a try. :)

It would be nice if we had some gargoyle model or some other sculpt I could texture with this stone.

We do have a gargoyle. However I'm gonna need to redo some of the uv's, I think currently the uv scale of the head and body are pretty far off.

I believe it's in models/md5/gargoyle (not at home). Now that I know how to export poses and he is skinned I can put him in any pose we'd want. He's also got a few anims so he can come to life.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=136588

We also have quite a few statues and busts, they already have skins so you can just put your material names in the skin files. Easy to test on a variety of objects.

Also, I think most of the pillars have skins too, so you can test with those as well.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

K here's a mossy trimmed version. I'll create a few more trims and release it in one file.

bricks_drycanal_moss_trim_edweb.JPG

badcog: hit me with the new UV's when you're done with it and I'll have a jab at it. I like the ideas of 'props' to fit texture sets, this one needs a less bumpy and more smoothed out version for a statue (unless it's like a monumental-size statue...)

I reckon a 512x256 and a 128^ suffice? (see above image)

Here's a spotty lichen version. I'll trim it too and post it with the normal and the mossy.

Please make them at least 1024x1024 - we can always downscale them. Plus, a 512x512 looks quite blurry if you use it on a wall and the player can go near it.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I know everyone wants the biggest res possible, but you'll have to do with 512. Let's focus on making the maps look good to the player, and not about the player trying to see how ugly the maps are.

I've finished the set, it includes 4 textures, essentially: pure stone, bricks, trim, and 128 trim for the little fellas (???). All textures come in 3 flavors: reg, mossy and lichen.

While the images above can serve as a previews, the versions in the final set are updated.

set_drycanal_edweb.JPG

Download - set_drycanal [10mb]

Sir, those are amazing.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I know everyone wants the biggest res possible, but you'll have to do with 512. Let's focus on making the maps look good to the player, and not about the player trying to see how ugly the maps are.

I think you don't understand. When you do them at 512x512, they are too small for walls, and we cannot make them bigger (unless someone makes them A from scratch or B asks you to redo them).

There were quite a lot of people who over time stopped contributing to TDM, and we have enough cases already where we can't get the original texture/model/source file whatever.

As nice as these textures are, if someone wants to do some variant on them, or make a TDM highres mod, they would need to start with the 512 version, instead of working on the 1024 or more, and then finally downscale them for the game.

So, if you take all the effort of creating these textures, why not go the extra feet and provide the highres version?

I am just trying to think long-term here :)