The Dark Mod Forums

Re-skin hand

Domarius

Currently I'm trying to work this out myself (have skinned in 3DS but not Maya before) but I'm posting it here anyway, for everyone's info (and just in case there is some special reason for it being this way - can't imagine why though);

The finger joint that controls the rest of the fingers (not the pointer finger) is rigged bent for some reason, while the mesh of the hand is actually straight. So when you actually do go to bend the fingers in an animation, they collaps into the hand all weird.

hand-rig.png

You can see the "Middle finger" joint is bent - it needs to be unskinned from the hand, straightened, then reskinned back to the hand again.

Make sure you're using the updated hands. Those are the mitten-hands you've got there in that image, and we won't be using them anymore. In the full-fingered hands, the last three fingers ARE bent, to varying degrees.

As I said, the citywatch needs further work, since I haven't added the mitten hands yet. Both the builder guard and the commoner have them, however.

I'm confused, are we using mitten hands or full-fingered hands? In the last post (and in the one in the other thread), you mentioned mitten hands, but three posts above you say we aren't using them anymore?

Sorry, that's a pre-coffee post. I'm slowly replacing all the mitten hands with full-fingered hands. The commoner and builder guard both have them already, and I'm in the middle of adding them to the Thief and Builder Priest.

Me too. I'm still amazed at the difference sometimes when I run into a builder. :)