The Dark Mod Forums

Installing Windows XP

sparhawk

LOL! And here I thought that the days are gone where Windows behaves like a teenager. I partiontioned all my partitions with GParted. A linux distribution similar to Partition Magic. The reason was, because I tried to install XP on my brand new machine with a 1TB SATA Drive, and when I created the second partition it automatically choose a secondary partition, which I didn't want, because I also want to install additional OSes (Vista and Linux).

So after rebooting, it recognized all my partions, but it refused to install into the assigned one. I had to remove two partitions, create a new one with the same size and position as before and then it allowed me to install into this. BUT! It still refused to create the second partition that I had to delete before, for no reason. And I was thinking that these stupid DOS days were over, where MS caused you all these troubles. It seems I was wrong.

Gerhard

YES totally - there are tutorials out there purely to show you how to dance around Windows XPs immature handling of hard drive partitions when installing multiple OSs. It's pretty lame that they hadn't got that part right by then...

I don't know if they improved on this with Vista because I've never installed it (and don't intend to very soon).

Since they didn't bother with XP, why should they with Vista? I don't think that this is an issue of capabillities, rather an issue of deliberate choice.

I'm going to install Vista as an additional OS. The only reason is, because there is one game that I want to give a try. Unless Assasins Creed works under XP as well. But I think it requires DirectX 10 which is only available under Vista, right?

Gerhard

Bah, that page is just marketing hype - it's just an interview with the developer, not actual performance tests. You need an independant 3rd party for a reliable source.

I made a post on how XP runs games faster than Vista, but decided it should be a new thread.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=8089

The bottom line is - the numbers are out, and XP runs games faster than vista, and they look identical in terms of image quality, even the DX10 ones.

Since they didn't bother with XP, why should they with Vista? I don't think that this is an issue of capabilities, rather an issue of deliberate choice.

I'm going to install Vista as an additional OS. The only reason is, because there is one game that I want to give a try. Unless Assassin's Creed works under XP as well. But I think it requires DirectX 10 which is only available under Vista, right?

I hope you don't get too disappointed, but Assassin's Creed is nowhere near as good as shown in the trailers etc. I played it (on XP) and it was quite a disappointment. Not because of graphics (those were top-notch) but because of game play. If you were spotted by enemy guards etc then the -ONLY- options left to you are to kill them off (not hard at all - once I fought of 20 of them, yes 20) or get out of their sight and hide in one of the predetermined cover models, which is essentially a bench, haystack, small tower thing and I forget if there are any more. The combat itself is not bad, and neither is the back stabbing etc, but the player is just too powerful. I played through about halfway and got bored as it was no challenge, and was sick of being "uber".

Bah, that page is just marketing hype - it's just an interview with the developer, not actual performance tests. You need an independant 3rd party for a reliable source.

The developer even admits that there is no visual improvement on Vista, so there is no point for Sparhawk to get Vista for it if he wants everything to look max and that was his only reason.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

I actually loved Assassins Creed, played the whole game on Xbox 360 and enjoyed almost every minute of it :) Certainly the stealth is no Thief, but it's still and awesome game.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Well, I wanted to see Vista not only for that. I thought it might also make sense to give it a try, even if I don't plan to use it much. I have enough diskspace, so that is not an issue. :)

I was wondering if new games will be Vista exclusively. For the developers it doesn't make sense, but I can see MS pushing it for obvious reasons.

Gerhard

Well, I wanted to see Vista not only for that. I thought it might also make sense to give it a try, even if I don't plan to use it much. I have enough diskspace, so that is not an issue. :)

I was wondering if new games will be Vista exclusively. For the developers it doesn't make sense, but I can see MS pushing it for obvious reasons.

I am pretty sure that underneath, Vista has quite a few things improved over XP, esp. in the kernel, the memory management, and the security. While the latter might not be important for games, it actually is, because a dozend trojans and a running virusscanner make for a very slow game :)

I have almost pity with MS, their developers work for years and then nobody wants their product. That must hurt.

Plus you can't really understand the users. They complain loudly, but then don't want to upgrade, either.

Couple these two things together (vendor trying to make updates mandatory, user trying to not update for money/imaginary reasons) and you get a pretty bizarre situation.

In any event, the days of XP are numbered. As soon as MS switches of the authentication servers for it, people will be only be able to use pirated versions, there will be no more service packs etc. and it will slowly die out. Just look at Windows 98 (and good riddance to that).

Right now the only question is whether XP will be replaced by Vista or by Linux.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

As much as I would like to see XP being followed up by Linux, I don't really see this happening. As for pitying MS, I don't see why. They know pretty well, what issues people have and they choose to ignore it for corporate reasons.

And a virusscanner slowing down games? Well, of course it takes away some cycles, but that's not really an issue. I have one of the slowest scanners (Because it's free and it got good reviews) and I don't see any problems in games.

Gerhard

• 2 weeks later...

This is the primary reason I refuse to install Windows on my desktop PC; I'm dead afraid of something happening to the archlinux64 partition, which I've spent god knows how long tweaking/configuring, and the fat32 partition. Of course, this practically renders the 8800GTS512MB I bought useless, but it's not like I have the time to play games anymore anyhow.