The Dark Mod Forums

Playing Thief 2 on modern computers

Domarius

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=76531

Don't know if this is old news to any of you, but there is a fix called DDFIX for the Thief2.exe to use proper colours on new video cards; no crashing, no horrible bright banding, and no dithering. And another fix called Widescreen, that runs it at super high resolutions, with support for wide screen. I got mine running at native resolution - 1650x1080 :)

Also the other main thing for me is I found a built in colour profile on my LCD monitor "Movie", which actually looks crap in day time, but at night time, it seems to more closely resemble the richness of colour I used to get from playing my CRT in the dark. Not quite as good, but not as washed out as the default profile. Enough to make me want to get back into playing the Thief 2 FMs again :)

And as for Garrett's voice being too loud - edit cam.cfg, find master_volume, and replace the -1 with 1600. That fixes it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grrr,

when I play the game I get rainbow textures and if I move the camera at all, it crashes

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

On that page there is a link to DDFIX, which is a thread in a forum. The link to widescreen is in the same post, it is a seperate app.

@HappyCheeze - well in that link above there is a post below the first, about a guy who had to do some extra tweaking to get his to work. Also sounds like you might have a multi-core issue, which is also addressed in the first post.

Okay, I downloaded the DarkWidescreen zip file and tried to follow the instructions but when I try to run the .bat file it disappears immediately.

The WeiDU.exe file runs but it gives alot of meaningless (to me, anyway) options, and I can't make sense of the Technical Documentation.txt file.

Is there something(s) that I'm not doing right? How exactly did you get it to work?

~Daniel

Well all I did was follow the instructions. The Widescreen comes with a readme that tells you to put the files in the Thief2 game folder, run the bat file, type your desired resolution, and that's it.

The readme also tells you the requirements - you'd better read it yourself. But off the top of my head, you need the latest cracked thief.exe - version 1.18 with the copy protection removed. The requirements say the version you need and says something like "No securerom protection" which basically means the cracked exe (meaning no original cd required in the drive)

I already have version 1.18.

I tried the DDFix and now my graphics are all messed up. Even after replacing the DDFix'd thief2.exe with my original one.

Looks like I'll have to re-install but I'm not sure if I have the CDs.

What OS are you using? For some reason I always had trouble with .bat files as they disappear after you try to run them.

~Daniel

You said you already have the right game version but you didn't say if you have the cracked exe or not - that's also important. If you don't, it probably will corrupt your exe by editing the wrong hex location. And make sure safetexturemanager is uncommented in USER.CFG. When I did the DDFIX I just checked "Video fix" and then clicked "Apply patch" and it worked, so other than the things I mentioned above (which you can find in the link I posted) I can't help you - I'd suggest doing some more reading starting from that link I posted.

I have an 8800 GT video card, and My OS is XP SP2.

Also, open the .bat file in notepad and add the line

pause

at the end of the file. Save it and run it again, it should come up with whatever error message it's giving and will say "Press any key to continue..." before it closes now, so you have to press a key to close it.

Yes I LOVE ddfix and widescreen patch, very very nice. For the past couple weeks I've been slowly working my way through Thief Gold on our LCD HDTV (1360x768), using an Xbox 360 pad with Pinnacle Game Profiler. I am completely hooked to the controls and now I vastly prefer the gamepad to keyboard/mouse (for Thief)! It's been a very good experience

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I'm pretty sure you don't need a widescreen patch for higher resolutions. I play Thief 2 on a 20" ultra-sharp dell monitor at native resolution (1600x1200) and it works great! and i didn't need to do anything fancy other than turning off hyper threading

Edited by slavatrumpevitch

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

1600x1200 is indeed a somewhat high resolution, but the main problem is that it's still a 4:3 aspect ratio. If you have a widescreen monitor (usually 16:10 aspect) and run a 4:3 resolution, it simply stretches the screen wide (or centers it, depending on your screen settings). The Thief widescreen patch actually properly extends the view in the game (not just stretched wide), so you literally see some more on each side - true wide screen.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

yay got it to work finally!

Thank you sir for the wonderful post!

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

oh btw, is there fix like this for thief gold?

Edited by HappyCheeze

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

oh btw, is there fix like this for thief gold?

Nevermind that,

I set my quad core affinity and priority for thiefg and now it works :-D

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

grrr now thiefg crashes after about a min of playing it

:(

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

I vaugely remember reading someone experiencing the same problem - try reading any posts linked to from my initial link.

Me, I've played all the way through Running Inteference, and about 2 hours worth of Shipping and recieving, and haven't had a crash. But I only play Thief 2.

grrr,

when I play the game I get rainbow textures and if I move the camera at all, it crashes

Me too!

yay got it to work finally!

Thank you sir for the wonderful post!

HOW?!?!!

Do you have a cracked T2.exe? Spring was saying it's required but I didn't see anything about it being needed when I read the link.

HOW?!?!!

Do you have a cracked T2.exe? Spring was saying it's required but I didn't see anything about it being needed when I read the link.

Lets see... what did I do?

I got the cracked t2.exe, and I used the patch gui file and set my resolution checked the video fix option. Now it works for me. I don't think I did anything else. I checked the exe with a hex editor but the dll fix thing was already there.

Sorry it took me a little to get back to you, was working on my beta app

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|