The Dark Mod Forums

Playing Thief 2 on modern computers

Domarius

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to OLEDs: 100% color reproduction. Ultra thin. Full HD. No Ghosting whatsoever or refresh issue. Fantastic Contrast. Very Low Power Consumption.

Its the best screen technology in the world, the best parts of all the other technologies with none of their inherent flaws. I don't need anything bigger than my 22" widescreen, I just want better picture quality now.

Best of it is, OLED can be "printed" on rolls, so you should be abeto manufacture larger screens cheaper.

Unfortunately, the LCD technology must first return the money that was invested in it :(

To be fair, tho, we have 22" LCD screens at work from Dell (probably a common panel), and they are fantastic. 1920x1600 pixel, very bright, almost no color issues, almost uniform color distribution. Downside is they are quite heavy (not as heavy as even a 19" CRT, but still weighting 6 or 7 kg), they draw a lot of power (again, 70..90 Watts I think, my 22" CRT draws 120).

OLED could improve on that (wall of screens, anyone? :), but as far as computer work goes, the Dell LCDs are perfect.

However, when you compare my aging CRT at my desktop and my laptop screen, you see that the LCD at the laptop is really inferior:

* it is _much_ weaker in light (aka the CRT is so really really bright)

* and yet does only produce dark grey, not true black

* some color probems, esp. at top and bottom of screen (viewing angle limited)

* 1280x800 vs 1600x1200

* it is _too_ sharp. You see every pixel, every jaggy in a font, and every JPEG artefact. Ugh! :)

For a laptop, OLED would rule.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I want to have my walls covered in OLEDs one day.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Uhm... a place where people discuss things on the net? I don't know what you're refering to exactly...

Back to OLEDs: 100% color reproduction. Ultra thin. Full HD. No Ghosting whatsoever or refresh issue. Fantastic Contrast. Very Low Power Consumption.

Its the best screen technology in the world, the best parts of all the other technologies with none of their inherent flaws. I don't need anything bigger than my 22" widescreen, I just want better picture quality now.

Whoops my bad I forgot to "no" before "screenies", I want to see Thief 1 in high def man!! :wub:

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Hehe... you could "texture map" your walls at the click of a button and completely re-theme your room depending on your mood. It'd almost be like the holodeck :D

Except the lifespan of the OLED cells is shorter than the life of a typical fluorescent tube in the LCD last I heard, though they were supposed to be working on that.

Yeah found it:

The biggest technical problem for OLEDs is the limited lifetime of the organic materials. In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours (5 years at 8 hours a day) when used for flat-panel displays, which is lower than typical lifetime of LCD, LED or PDP technology—each currently rated for about 60,000 hours, depending on manufacturer and model. Toshiba and Panasonic have come up with a way to solve this problem with a new technology that can double the lifespan of OLED displays, pushing its expected life past that of LCD displays. A metal membrane helps deliver light from polymers in the substrate throughout the glass surface more efficiently than current OLEDs. The result is the same picture quality with half the brightness and a doubling of the screen's expected life.[32]

In 2007, experimental PLEDs were created which can sustain 400 cd/m² of luminance for over 198,000 hours for green OLEDs and 62,000 hours for blue OLEDs.[33]

The intrusion of water into displays can damage or destroy the organic materials. Therefore, improved sealing processes are important for practical manufacturing and may limit the longevity of more flexible displays.

I like the idea of OLEDs as well. But it will introduce a new production process for manufacturers and they will need time and experience to get things done right.

There are only few OLED displays announced ATM and I think I read about them being more like company prestige products since they couldn't build them in masses yet for economical reasons.

Guess my next display (about 5 years from now maybe) will still be an LCD but driven by an RGB-LED backlight.

-

Except the lifespan of the OLED cells is shorter than the life of a typical fluorescent tube in the LCD last I heard, though they were supposed to be working on that.

Yeah found it:

62,000 hours

62,000 hours is over 7 years of constant running time! Where is the freaking problem, do they try to build a display to decorate the Restaurant at the End of The Universe or what? :o

Or did they actually mean 62.000 hours, which would be under 3 days? :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

62,000 hours is over 7 years of constant running time! Where is the freaking problem, do they try to build a display to decorate the Restaurant at the End of The Universe or what? :o

Or did they actually mean 62.000 hours, which would be under 3 days? :D

In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours
where did you get 62,000?

The bottom of the story talked about experimental new OLEDs with at least 62000 hours, which WOULD be enough because that would essentially match current market LCD lifespan.

So they are in development, and as soon as they become durable and cheap enough they may become something you can find at your local store.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Hehe... you could "texture map" your walls at the click of a button and completely re-theme your room depending on your mood. It'd almost be like the holodeck :D

If you want a holodeck, just combine it with

and stereoscopic vision. And do it in a room with no furniture, OLEDs on the floor as well as the walls and ceiling, and don't let any unwanted light get in.

It won't be perfect*, but it's as close as we can get right now without multimillion dollar equipment. :)

* Stereoscopic vision always looks fake because everything is always in focus, and the apparent position of the object doesn't match where your eyes have to focus (which is on the display's surface). And there won't be any solidity, unless you walk into the walls.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Hahaha :D

Actually one of the early episodes of Start Trek TNG had Riker explaining how the holodeck worked, in a similar fashion. Then in an Enterprise episode, a guy (can't remember the character's name, the one always arguing with Belana) went to an alien holodeck, and the alien girl walked him along, and he exclaimed "The perspective is changing!" highlighting the advanced holodeck technology the aliens had. I'm a nerd, I remember these interesting things...

If you want a holodeck, just combine it with
and stereoscopic vision. And do it in a room with no furniture, OLEDs on the floor as well as the walls and ceiling, and don't let any unwanted light get in.

It won't be perfect*, but it's as close as we can get right now without multimillion dollar equipment. :)

* Stereoscopic vision always looks fake because everything is always in focus, and the apparent position of the object doesn't match where your eyes have to focus (which is on the display's surface). And there won't be any solidity, unless you walk into the walls.

Combine it with this:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6299.html

I like the potential of that 4 tile system! It will take many years, but I'd pay $100 for a couple hours in the VR simulator room, physically running around shooting bad guys, maybe even hooked up with a jacket that can prod and pull me a little to simulate bullets or object hitting me.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif