The Dark Mod Forums

Playing Thief 2 on modern computers

Domarius

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even use the crack myself since there is a much better way, and ddfix and widescreen worked fine for me. Here are my personal notes from back in May (some of the file versions are newer now...)

-------------------

May 15, 2008

Komag's instructions for Thief 2 installation to use ddfix and widescreen

INSTALL THIEF 2

- Install Thief 2 normally, such as in C:\Games\Thief2 (I always prefer to avoid spaces in directory names, so no "Thief 2" for me)

- Edit DARKINST.CFG:

My original said this:

cd_path d:\

install_path C:\games\Thief2

language english

resname_base C:\games\Thief2\res+d:\thief2

load_path C:\games\Thief2+d:\thief2

script_module_path C:\games\Thief2+d:\thief2

movie_path C:\games\Thief2\movies+d:\thief2\movies

I changed it to this:

cd_path C:\Games\

install_path C:\games\Thief2

language english

resname_base C:\games\Thief2\res+C:\games\Thief2

load_path C:\games\Thief2

script_module_path C:\games\Thief2

movie_path C:\games\Thief2\movies

- Make an empty .zip file, rename it snd.crf (not snd.crf.zip) and place it in your Thief2 folder (so that it's in the same folder that Thief2.exe is in). This allows the CD check to pass.

- Start Thief 2 and test that it's working and doesn't need the CD. If you have a dual core processor don't actually go in-game yet, just start Thief 2 and then exit from the main menu.

INSTALL DDFIX

- Download ddfix (http://timeslip.chorrol.com/ddfix.html)

I got the GUI version ("ddfixG.7z")

- Unzip files into your Thief2 directory

- Run "ddfixGUI.exe", chose a resolution such as 1024x768 (even if it's not the nice widescreen you want don't worry, you can adjust that later), and click "Apply patch". It should say that the patch was applied.

- edit the ddfix.ini (or click on "Expert mode" in the ddfix GUI which simply opens up the ini for you), and change any settings you want. You may want to change the resolution to a widescreen one, such as 1280x800 like I have on my laptop. If you have a dual core processor, you will want to leave the default setting to solve that issue (otherwise you'll get Thief 2 locking up right away in game). Save the file.

- Start Thief 2 again, and make sure you go into the options and choose the resolution you just set in the ddfix.ini. Set any other Thief settings you want (such as favourite key bindings, audio, game settings, etc).

- Start a new game and test it out. Try looking at your map or objectives, and notice how fast it switches screens (since it doesn't do the stupid changing resolutions anymore!). Try to notice how much better it looks without the crappy dithering all over the place. Rejoice and be happy!

INSTALL WIDESCREEN

- Download DarkWidescreen-v3r2.zip (http://files.filefront.com/DarkWidescreen+v3r2zip/;10233995;/fileinfo.html)

- Unzip files into your Thief 2 directory (it will make the "widescreen" directory in there too).

- Run "DarkWidescreen.bat", follow the DOS box instructions (I entered 1280, then 800), and let it install.

Your widescreen resolution has to match your ddfix resolution (duh).

- Voila, try it out in game. You should notice that you can see more on the sides now, GREAT!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

?? Are you saying you read his post, tried what he said, it worked for you, so you resent (even jokingly) having to read my long detailed post? In that case the post is not for you, but for folks who need a long and very detailed step-by-step instructions

Hahah - actually I started this thread, I got it working for him (mainly by telling him to follow the instructions and info from the link in my first post).

It's just that you said - using it without the crack is much better, but from reading your post I couldn't see what was better about it, it just seemed to be more complicated.

Basically I used the cracked exe and got everything working following the instructions on the page I linked to. I didn't have to edit any paths in config files or make a fake zip file, and the ddfix step is as simple as clicking the "apply patch" button and closing the app. DarkWideScreen is what sets the resolution. The rez I wanted didn't even show up in ddfix.

Anyway - I'll shut up, this isn't important.

Ah, I get it. In that light, yeah I guess the crack is actually easier, woops! I suppose I loosely just meant "better" as in "don't need any crack, can be somewhat 'legit'" :P

Bah :) what's the big deal about cracks. As soon as I buy a game, I download the latest patch, and then the latest no-cd crack for that version. The entire game fits on my hard drive, why should I have to shuffle DVDs around? Plus a scratch on a movie DVD is just a glitch on one frame. A scratch on a game DVD and it's 100% fucked, every time.

Games I bought and cracked recently, and still have the original boxes, discs, recipts and everything;

Grid

Call Of Duty 4

Crysis

Arma: Queens Gambit

Oblivion

Medieval Total War 2 Gold

Flight Simulator X

And that's just this year. They all get my money - I'm allowed to crack them for my convenience and peace of mind.

Bah :) what's the big deal about cracks. As soon as I buy a game, I download the latest patch, and then the latest no-cd crack for that version. The entire game fits on my hard drive, why should I have to shuffle DVDs around? Plus a scratch on a movie DVD is just a glitch on one frame. A scratch on a game DVD and it's 100% fucked, every time.

Games I bought and cracked recently, and still have the original boxes, discs, recipts and everything;

Grid

Call Of Duty 4

Crysis

Arma: Queens Gambit

Oblivion

Medieval Total War 2 Gold

Flight Simulator X

And that's just this year. They all get my money - I'm allowed to crack them for my convenience and peace of mind.

True, but if it works without a cracked exe, thats even better. Sometimes it is really hard to get cracks for older games, esp. if you are in a hurry. Not to mention things like "running under wine in linux", where often the crack doesn't work (but the original does). So it is good to have options :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hai-ya!

www.gamecopyworld.com

The don't have everything, esp. if it comes to localized versions. A crack for English v1.10 doesn't help you if you got German v1.08 :(

Yeah, I would be able to technically do the crack myself, esp. after I found an already existing crack. But I have better things to to than to work-around faulty copy protection schemes - like buying and playing other games :D

Actually, it is more fun to hack at TDM than to play most games :wub:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I only crack the CD if it's single player. Usually I don't even bother with the multiplayer component of games anymore though because I'm not to much a fan of online games as I once was. So many games are now just plopping in multiplayer with no real thought into gameplay that it's a waste of time. So thief 2 was the only game I currently needed the cd for, but I did Komags thing and no more CD needed which is really nice :D Right now the only online games I ever play are either on Steam (Usually HL coop games with my little brother) or ETQW.

I haven't tried Komags DDF and widescreen fix yet but I will soon. I've only just started playing T2 fan missions, I never have before and I'm really surprised at how great some of the ones I've downloaded are! Anyone know of any really good ones I may have missed over the years? :)

btw: Does anyone use fake disc drives? I know there's a way to mount DVDs and CDs so the computer reads them like the actual CD or DVD thus it can verify your game (for those pesky games like Trackmania that need the real DVD). I have lots of HD space so I'm curious about this idea, but I'm afraid to mess around with my hardware.

fake drives are easy, no worries about messing anything up. The best (as far as I know) and easiest program for this is called "Daemon Tools", very nice at times.

I do the same. I don't see why I should risk my discs either. Also it's unconvenient. And I have several discs where I did not do this, and which are now either missing, or the kids damaged them. :(

As long as a game is good I also buy it, and the other ones are not played anyway, so it's not as if I steal something. My wife is even complainign because I have so many game boxes. :) But I like them. It's even nice to look at them, the cover art and booklets, so that's also a reason to buy it.

Gerhard

Sorry to go back on topic somehow:

:unsure:

I wonder how many of you play Thief on a "modern" screen, an LCD.

This is because I just attempted to change from my old 17" CRT to a 1680x1050 Widescreen-TFT. Bought it on Saturday, returned it on Monday. Mainly I didn't like the sound of the backlight (it's not supposed to make any noise), but also it was much to bright.

While the screen performed nice for Quake3 and Doom3, it definately failed on Thief2. I tested Sliptips wonderful "Ashen Age pt. 1" Fanmission on it. No way to find a good setting when black looks just grey and the shadows look, well, grey. Compared to my CRT its like suffering cataract.

Domarius mentioned in his initial post a "movie"-setting. On the screen I got it turned on dynamic contrast, which turned out to be a no go for games.

I still plan to get another TFT for desktop use, but for original Thief I intend to keep my CRT.

Now anyone experienced the opposite? -- Did I just get my CRT from heaven and the TFT from hell?

-

A lot of us play Thief on LCDs, and mostly it's fine. I don't miss my CRT for one second, and it's dark enough in the blacks for Thief, to me at least.

I use both a CRT and LCD in dual screen setup, and I have tried running TDM on both screens at once...it looks dreadful on the LCD. Not because it is a shit LCD (it's a Samsung 940BW), cos it's actually very good, but because LCDs cannot do true black. CRTs can, and it makes a huge difference to me, so I play TDM on the CRT and games like Counter Strike etc on the LCD (widescreen).

The major reason why I switched to LCD is simply deskspace. :) With a 22inch CRT it takes a lot of space on the desk, while the same in LCD leaves a lot of room for the keyboard and everything. Much better that way. Imagewise I don't care to absolutely have pure black or so, so the quality is sufficient for me.

Gerhard

Yep, for normal desktop use there are a lot pros for LC-Displays. And I just ordered a third one (first one returned because of hum when changing the brightness, second one returned for the same reason).

I like my CRT as well, but wasting way too much time in front of it I'm starting to feel like beeing at the wrong end of some ray gun . . .

It should be mentioned I usually play Thief games in a dark environment. Maybe this is what makes the difference, some are used to play at healthy light-levels with a gamma-setting that lets you clearly see what is in the shadows. Others (like me) like the shadows beeing closer to black, so they know better where to hide. And it looks much cooler when it's dark. :rolleyes:

-

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I was a bit overenthusiastic about the Movie setting - it does make it at least kind of "playable" in my opinion, but still has none of the immersive colours of the CRT. I think this also enables the "dynamic contrast" thingy, which I read about, which dynamically drops the power of the backlight and boosts the gamma, whenever the overal picture is dark, as you play. This is better than nothing. I always set it to movie mode when I play a game in the dark.

God dammit, we are in a slum here, with LCDs and the rest of the world being "fine" with them. Can't wait for them to hurry up and make OLEDs possible.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/sonys-1...inch-oled-hdtv/

Uhm... a place where people discuss things on the net? I don't know what you're refering to exactly...

Back to OLEDs: 100% color reproduction. Ultra thin. Full HD. No Ghosting whatsoever or refresh issue. Fantastic Contrast. Very Low Power Consumption.

Its the best screen technology in the world, the best parts of all the other technologies with none of their inherent flaws. I don't need anything bigger than my 22" widescreen, I just want better picture quality now.