The Dark Mod Forums

New Ambients Uploaded

Muze

Just uploaded some ambients to my audio folder (/audio/unfinished/muze) on the FTP. 44.1, 160kbps, stereo. They're thematic in nature:

mb_hum3_LP.ogg

mb_hum3_musicbox_LP.ogg

mb_hum1_creepypiano_strings_LP.ogg

mb_hum1_bell_banging_LP.ogg

mb_hum1_intro.ogg

mb_hum1_LP.ogg

mb_hum1_LP.ogg and mb_hum3_LP.ogg are some basic ambient hums and can be looped indefinitely if necessary in between the layers I've created with them (i.e. mb_hum1_bell_banging_LP.ogg with mb_hum1_LP.ogg). There will be more hums and layers and what not as I go.

Any intros I create will start off a hum and seamlessly go into it's respective loop.

As per our naming convention LP means loopable. The mb is so I know which ones I worked on.

I guess the piano and bell ones fit somewhere in The Scary Place and there was a need for a music box so I've done that. It's also on the creepy side, I can't seem to not make creepy music right now :ph34r: But I'll also create a less creepy one as there is a need for 2 in the tasks list.

Edited by Muze

Sorry I didn't get around to listening to these sooner, Muze! My hunch is that nobody has taken the time to pull them off the FTP yet. They were great to listen to. Here are my thoughts on the longer pieces:

mb_hum1_bell_banging_LP.ogg

Love the droning sound in the background and the extra twists. Very Thief2 like. I really like the reverse violins or whatever that 3rd sound is (after bells and drum beats) -- very thiefy! Good job!! The only thing that my ear hears as maybe being a little out of place is the intro bell sound, as it's a little light (lacking a bassy foundation), but I could get used to it. Perhaps if I was playing the game, the bells wouldn't sound that out of place.

mb_hum1_creepypiano_strings_LP.ogg

Again, great job! Reminds me of the mansion level in T3 without being a copycat of it. It takes it to a different level; one that I like.

mb_hum3_musicbox_LP.ogg

Pretty freaky! I like it, too; probably not my favorite though. I like the metallic droning sound incorporated into the background of this one. This would probably be best suited for a T3 "Cradle" type of level, imo. Or one with creepy children in it anyways. Not my favorite kind of level, but it was fun.

All in all, good job! :) Can't wait to hear more of your creations.

The Bell Banging

Love the bangings, and the violins. The intro bells are, as Darkness said, a little out of place. My suggestions would be to either lower the volume, or remove them. (Or make them blend in more, somehow)

Creepy piano

Yes, very Thief 3 like. And in a good way! I only wish the piano pieces were a little more fleshed out in some places. Also, the background hum is a little distracting. It could be annoying to hear it repeated five times or so in a single level. (But since we don't have a level yet, it's kinda hard to know, I'm just guessing here!) :) Anyway, you can always do what I did on the underground theme. Make different versions and name them theme1a.ogg, theme1b.ogg etc.

Musicbox

I really like this one! Freeky stuff! But I think you have misunderstood the tasklist. ;) This thing here is a theme, listed in the tasklist as "themes(5)". The item listed as "musicbox(2)" is the sounds for an actual musicbox (3d model in the gameworld) that the play can "use" so that it makes a sound (More like a sfx than an ambient now that I think about it.) This theme you created here could be used for that too I guess, if you remove the background hum. If you could make a version with a more "scratchy" sound (as if it was very old) that would be awsome!

About your musicbox tune, as I said, great. I love it. I love it so much I think you should work more on it (if you're willing to). The first little melody is great. (Up until 0:45). More things like that please! :)

I think that was all. Keep up the good work! :)