The Dark Mod Forums

Google browser "Chrome" - very nice, I finally ditched IE!

Komag

Google's new browser "Chrome" is out (beta for XP and Vista) and I'm trying it out. I'm using it right now for the forums, works great.

To me it's the best browser ever, very minimalistic without wasted toolbars and such, maximizing the actual browser window very well, something very important to me. It handles things well so far, and I'm finally planning to abandon IE! :D

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Does it support plug-ins like Firefox does? I'm reluctant to install anything without something equivalent to AdBlock Plus.

I'll give it a try though. I already use Firefox and IE at work, I don't mind installing a third browser, even if it's just for a few days.

My god, what a rushed release - the installer doesn't support proxy servers, so I can't install that thing on my office machine. I tried to get an "offline installer" somewhere, but this is not something google seems to consider worth providing. Also, the http://chrome.google.com domain, which is linked on the chrome site is not even working (at least for me).

Next time - maybe.

Also: it might be interesting to watch the news for a while regarding this browser's behaviour in terms of data mining. Google is not exactly a charitable society, it's a company with certain interests, which I'd rather be aware of.

Also: it might be interesting to watch the news for a while regarding this browser's behaviour in terms of data mining. Google is not exactly a charitable society, it's a company with certain interests, which I'd rather be aware of.

Indeed. I'm very wary of the fact that e.g. when you start typing in the address bar it will do Google searches. I don't want all my browsing history available to Google (even more than it already is).

I won't be touching it until someone's forked it and made a version with better privacy.

There are some smart architectural improvements and a few other good ideas in it, for sure. If it was any other company... :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Tried it. Didn't hate it, but it offers me nothing over Firefox. I appreciated the 'out of the box' minimalist design, but again...I can set that up in Firefox in under a minute.

It's another option, but I do think it will lead to privacy issues. I know how google loves to 'google' where it shouldn't.

In addition, firefox has all the plugins I need to make my workflow that much easier. Why switch now? I've been with firefox since the 0.X days.

It's nice, maybe a bit too simplistic atm - i'd like to have some more things to customize.

It seems to render sites pretty flawlessly already, kinda what you would expect from a firm that does a lot of "internet stuff" - a browser that doesn't force Web-Devs to use ugly hacks for things to be displayed properly, is a good browser in my book.

Well, clicked around a bit and am underwhelmed.

Doing everything in separate processes is an interesting concept on paper, but is rather hrrm in practice, especially on a single core system. Pages render fast, but the capsuled plugins are slowing display a bit. I tried it with Newgrounds, and scrolling the front page makes Chrome stutter. Also, while avoiding fragmentation in long sessions, having a shitload of processes hogs just as much memory as FF would.

The UI is ok, I like simple stuff. The do-it-all address bar is nice, though I prefer Opera's keyword search (which I can customize) and I had never use for search suggestions a la FF. Same for having my most visited pages on a new tab, I disabled that in Opera, too.

No interface for Add-Ons I could see. No content blocker. Poor configuration options. Can't customize UI. Online installer. Which puts Chrome in the Documents and Settings folder without prompting for an alternative. Over 60 MB. Puts update agent in registry autostart, so it runs always even when I'm not running Chrome. Ick.

What I said on TTLG. Still, it's a beta. Just a little too beta to use yet. I'll stick with Opera. I just wish they'd adopt FF's plugin system.

What I said on TTLG. Still, it's a beta. Just a little too beta to use yet. I'll stick with Opera. I just wish they'd adopt FF's plugin system.

Yup, I agree with you on Chrome. I opened FF with 3 tabs and Chrome with 3 tabs, Chrome was using way more ram. Decent browser though.

Before Fire Fox, I was an Opera user...this was way back in 2000 when it was first publicly release. Opera is a really solid browser. Wow....I haven't used IE as my main browser in 8 years. lol

So now that I'm trying out Chrome for another day there are a few little things I don't like so much, so I figured I might as well give FireFox another run (now 3.0.1) and see if I want to use that after all. I have it installed, got Adblock Plus, situated the buttons around pretty well. What plugins does anyone recommend?

After a couple hours I have to say I like FF - I managed to get all my buttons and bars and crap all up on just the top bar, very minimal! I'll try it for a couple days, probably stick with it after all :) (not interested in the reminder program, would put my already under-used PDA out of business!)(although I do love to use the PDA as a nice little e-book reader, cozy on up on the couch with some hot chocolate, how metro-sexual-nerd of me!)

After a couple hours I have to say I like FF - I managed to get all my buttons and bars and crap all up on just the top bar, very minimal! I'll try it for a couple days, probably stick with it after all :) (not interested in the reminder program, would put my already under-used PDA out of business!)(although I do love to use the PDA as a nice little e-book reader, cozy on up on the couch with some hot chocolate, how metro-sexual-nerd of me!)

Yeah, I love the flexibility of FF. If you turn off the status bar, you can make it even more minimal. :)

I find mouse gestures absolutely indispensable. (I generally turn off all of them except back, forward, and "up a level" though - too easy to accidentally trigger the more obscure ones otherwise.) Currently I'm using the All-in-One Gestures extension in Firefox, which does the job.

@Rockfella: I doubt that Google Chrome is theme-able at this point, given its emphasis on simplicity.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

If you turn off the status bar, you can make it even more minimal. :)

But I LIKE the status bar info, which is one of the things I really like about Chrome because it pops up the info (when hovering a link for instance) and then fades away again after. Maybe (hopefully) someone will copy that function to a FF plug-in

Can't say I'll be switching any time soon. I've been addicted to the "vimperator" plugin for firefox (makes the browser behave like vim). Never have to touch the mouse again. I ditched Opera for firefox after hearing about it.

Also, there are only windows binaries for chrome as far as I know.

Edited by woah

...I figured I might as well give FireFox another run (now 3.0.1) and see if I want to use that after all. I have it installed, got Adblock Plus, situated the buttons around pretty well. What plugins does anyone recommend?

In addition to Adblock Plus I really like NoScript and Flashblock. They can be a bit of a pain when you want something to come up, like on YouTube, or JavaScript stuff, but- oh, the bliss of being able to read without fighting those damnable flashing ads and crap.

In addition to Adblock Plus I really like NoScript and Flashblock. They can be a bit of a pain when you want something to come up, like on YouTube, or JavaScript stuff, but- oh, the bliss of being able to read without fighting those damnable flashing ads and crap.

For firefox 2.x there was also a really cool addon called "tab mix plus". It allowed you to have multi-line tabbars. Sadly, it is not working for 3.x and I can't find the settings, either.

Noscript and Flashblock are as essential as adblock.

If you are a web developer, also get the "web developer" extension. I also have "Download status bar" (all your downloads in a small bar at the bottom, much more easy to see) and "Fast Video Download" (for youtube, after you allowed flashblock to unblock the video)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

For firefox 2.x there was also a really cool addon called "tab mix plus". It allowed you to have multi-line tabbars. Sadly, it is not working for 3.x and I can't find the settings, either.

Actually, there's a version of it for 3.x as well but in a developer status - works perfectly for me though. Great plugin.

http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9178

• 1 year later...

yes sure google Chrome is the best browser, when i first downloaded it, my internet was running at a lighting speed, i even checked my speed

http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/

and it was normal too, hitherto i used firefox which chocked my browsing capabilities .

But the only one advantage with firefox is that it has more add ons, which makes things much easier