The Dark Mod Forums

Google browser "Chrome" - very nice, I finally ditched IE!

Komag

I've got both Firefox and Opera installed all the time. Opera is just a lot more comfortable for browsing in my oppinion and you don't need to install any plugins, that drag performance down, to get an acceptable usability. There are so many little innovations which make opera excellent for fast browsing, like the fully customizable search-function (For example, you can add a dictionary-homepage, define an abbreviation for it and then lookup a word by typing the abbreviation and the word into the adressbar. VERY quick and easy!). There are some tasks though that you cannot do with an "all-in-one" package like opera and that's the point when I fire up Firefox with it's nice plugin support, which from my experience makes the browser slower, the more plugins you add.

For example, you can add a dictionary-homepage, define an abbreviation for it and then lookup a word by typing the abbreviation and the word into the adressbar. VERY quick and easy!

Firefox has that. :D I have a bookmark to Wikipedia with target http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=%s and keyword wp, and I can type: Ctrl-L wp Some Article to look up an article.

Honestly not trying to start a browser war here, Opera is quite nice.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Minefield is Fire Fox, it's just the trunk build before they branch off into a release build.

Well I dunno, I know it's Firefox but when I used it a long long time ago it would load the format of the webpage and texts and display them, then slowly load in the images on my 10mpbs connection which was really nice because pictures always took long to load. This was different than what firefox would do for me.

Firefox has that. :D  I have a bookmark to Wikipedia with target http://en.wikipedia....earch?search=%s and keyword wp, and I can type: Ctrl-L wp Some Article to look up an article.

Honestly not trying to start a browser war here, Opera is quite nice.

Ah nice, I did not know that1, but there are still a couple of other features in Opera that you definitely can only achieve in Firefox via plugin. But as I said, I use both browsers, so I woun't be offended in any way... ;) I've just become so comfortable browsing with Opera that I woun't switch anymore, especially since version 10.

1The question is now, who copied it from whom? ;) As far as innovations are concerned Opera was always a little ahead of Firefox in my opinion...

I tried Chrome. Didn't really care for it. I just can't browse the internet without my Firefox add-ons. Also, I hated the 'recent bookmarks' list on Chrome. I couldn't figure out how to make it go away, so I ditched the damned thing. I'm not saying Firefox is perfect or anything. I think it runs pretty bad sometimes. It's usually fine, but every now and then it uses an awful lot of my cpu and memory for no discernible reason. Anyway, I've become dependent on the addons and loathe browsing the web without them.

To name a few FF addons I use:

Session Manager "Session Manager saves and restores the state of all windows - either when you want it or automatically at startup and after crashes. Additionally it offers you to reopen (accidentally) closed windows and tabs." Started using this one a couple months ago. I've been loving this addon and kinda wish I'd known of it sooner.

Of course I use Adblock Plus, Flashblock, and NoScript.

I've started using Tree Style Tab and Multiple Tab Handler. Not so necessary, but sometimes I have an assload of tabs open and these two addons seem to help me keep track of things.

DownloadHelper is pretty cool. I kind of got used to it in the way that I don't even think about it as being special anymore. I just use it when I want something, like if I'm watching a video or listening to a song.

An addon called 'Color toggle' simplifies color switching. Without the addon, I would keep going through the menu whenever I wanted to change the color. Now I just click a button and a web page, such as Google, goes from blinding light to dark and easy on the eyes.

1The question is now, who copied it from whom? ;) As far as innovations are concerned Opera was always a little ahead of Firefox in my opinion...

Probably true. Also irrelevant. :P

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

To name a few FF addons I use: 

Session Manager  "Session Manager saves and restores the state of all windows - either when you want it or automatically at startup and after crashes. Additionally it offers you to reopen (accidentally) closed windows and tabs." Started using this one a couple months ago. I've been loving this addon and kinda wish I'd known of it sooner.

Of course I use Adblock Plus, Flashblock, and NoScript.

I've started using Tree Style Tab and Multiple Tab Handler. Not so necessary, but sometimes I have an assload of tabs open and these two addons seem to help me keep track of things.

DownloadHelper is pretty cool. I kind of got used to it in the way that I don't even think about it as being special anymore. I just use it when I want something, like if I'm watching a video or listening to a song.

An addon called 'Color toggle' simplifies color switching. Without the addon, I would keep going through the menu whenever I wanted to change the color. Now I just click a button and a web page, such as Google, goes from blinding light to dark and easy on the eyes.

That's kinda sad that you're just now discovering the power of session management. Opera has had sessions since 1996. Many other innovations that are now standard amongst most browsers (though some still require add-ons) were introduced by Opera as well, such as pop-up blocking, tabbed browsing, ad blocking, flash blocking, fast forward, mouse gestures, and speed dial. Opera also includes Email, IRC, and Bittorrent built-in. They just introduced Opera Unite which I like a lot, and Opera Turbo makes my shitty internet at work (384/384) feel quite snappy. I do wish there were a DownloadHelper add-on for Opera, but I just use FF when I need that function. 

As for Chrome, I wasn't impressed and uninstalled it less than 24hours after installing it. I've been using Opera as my primary browser since 2001, and I haven't been impressed by any other browser since then (though Konqueror had some nice features as well).

Well, I can't say I'll make the transition until a vimperator-esque plugin is released for chrome. Mouseless browsing is far too awesome (and so much faster). I don't ever want to go back to the ludicrousness of alternating between mouse and keyboard when browsing.

On the other hand, I plan to write a vimperator plugin for google chrome pretty soon (as soon as I finish a different project, that is ... you know how that goes). Once I get to that plugin, I'll gladly relieve my system of the resource hog that is firefox. Gladly.