The Dark Mod Forums

For all who can't get enough

LordSavage

Noticed a problem: the door doesn't actually touch the floor, so it won't seal a portal when closed.

FYI, the door doesn't have to go all the way down to the floor to close a portal when the door closes. The portal definitely has to go all the way down to the floor, but the door itself just has to touch the portal. (Of course if the player can somehow see under the door, they will see the portal suddenly turn black when it closes, not sure if that is an issue in this case).

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could post this on the moddb page

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Well well, this in a cool and interesting development. How should we handle this? Publicly announce a new "mini-map" that works with Thief's Den? Should I host the mission at Shadowdark as a "new mission"? At the very least I think it should wait for the updated performance version, smaller candle lights, visportals in the doorways, and anything else.

You can announce it, when it is ready :D . Work is going on.

It's far away from being finished.

Here is the latest Version:

http://rapidshare.com/files/143990433/clos...ows_07.zip.html

You have to delete "closemouthed_shadows_01.xd" when you tried version 01 earlier. Otherwise the updated text is not visible in the mission.

Edited by LordSavage

You can announce it, when it is ready :D . Work is going on.

It's far away from being finished.

Here is the latest Version:

http://rapidshare.com/files/143990433/clos...ows_07.zip.html

You have to delete "closemouthed_shadows_01.xd" when you tried version 01 earlier. Otherwise the updated text is not visible in the mission.

I will then update my mirror page with the latest version after it is somewhat "stable", ok? :) Or do you want me to update to version 0.7 right away?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Many of the resources would be out of date, like the def files and code. My guess is that the map files would probably just need some basic tweaks or renaming to work with the full mod, however.

Couldn't you just dmap it with the full version? At very least open it in DR with full version equipment, save it, then compile it? As long as the objects haven't changed names, there shouldn't be anything to worry about...

Couldn't you just dmap it with the full version? At very least open it in DR with full version equipment, save it, then compile it? As long as the objects haven't changed names, there shouldn't be anything to worry about...

That works to a degree but as Springheel said there are deeper code changes that won't mesh properly with it. It's unavoidable. That's just the nature of the beast. I've dmapped it with the full version and played it, and there are some issues. The most obvious one is that the key for the door doesn't show up anywhere, and that's due to some changes since the alpha. It's still playable...but it's built on an older code base. The alpha code base was even behind the main mod when we released it and that's just because we kept a separate branch. A larger map would be even worse.

And some model names/locations have changed since that release. Not sure if they were used but if someone else used them or someone tries to play Thief's Den with the final Dark Mod release.

Stuff like treasure chests that have been renamed for ease of use, also pivot points, etc... so lids/handles line up better which even if the names are the same would make the objects misaligned.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

So I've been working with DR myself, and decided to do something similar to what Savage is doing. But its going to be at least a little while before I release anything. I'm still figuring things out in DR enough that I don't want to really put anything out there just yet. :) I hope you guys have some comments for me. I'm all for constructive criticism. Here's my 1st screenie.

post-2046-1221153418_thumb.jpg

So I've been working with DR myself, and decided to do something similar to what Savage is doing. But its going to be at least a little while before I release anything. I'm still figuring things out in DR enough that I don't want to really put anything out there just yet. :) I hope you guys have some comments for me. I'm all for constructive criticism. Here's my 1st screenie.

Looks very fine, but in reality I think the lamps would be hanging from the bars, not from the ceiling in between :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I can offer some on a quick glance, if it's what you seek.

-Be sure to use an ambient; looks like you have D3-style blackness in the shadows.

-Watch the texture alignment of the support beams. When they go crosscut like that, it's an instant realism killer.

-Perhaps a different (smaller) light source. I get the feeling I'd be constantly bonking my head into those lamps walking around.

-Looks like you made quite good use of the limited resources in TD. ^_^

Okay... Update. My map has two floors, four rooms, a staircase and I revamped the lighting entirely. More input would be great. Espeicially lighting staircases. :(

The screenshots look a bit darker than when I was in the map playing, FYI. There is no D3 Darkness, its set to about 15 ambient. Its most obvious under the stairs.

post-2046-1221186868_thumb.jpg

post-2046-1221186886_thumb.jpg

post-2046-1221186893_thumb.jpg

post-2046-1221186900_thumb.jpg

post-2046-1221186916_thumb.jpg

post-2046-1221186924_thumb.jpg

post-2046-1221186929_thumb.jpg

post-2046-1221186936_thumb.jpg

post-2046-1221186955_thumb.jpg

post-2046-1221186963_thumb.jpg

post-2046-1221186969_thumb.jpg

post-2046-1221186975_thumb.jpg

Edited by DigitalNapalm

You can select seperate faces so the wood grain will align to each correctly. Been awhile so I can't tell you which key to hold down. I agree that it is always a scene killer.

Everything looks pretty good though. I think the railing on the stair is a bit think, but the pic is hard to see.

Also, the placement of the candle in the chair is a bit odd ;)

That's actually something that has been dealt with recently (candle/holder collision props).

The hallway seems a bit wide in comparison to the rooms.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Ok, it's ready for testing.

I think it's definitely worth playing.

Please post it if you find bugs.

http://rapidshare.com/files/145091048/clos...ows_20.zip.html

You have to delete "closemouthed_shadows_01.xd" or "closemouthed_shadows_07.xd"when you tried earlier versions. Otherwise the updated text is not visible in the mission.

Have fun :).