The Dark Mod Forums

Can i help with beta mapping or other

3axap

New Horizon, are you testing it with current TDM version or with Thief's Den? As I wrote, I found bugs with lighting in TDM - the light of the candles is too bright, and casting double shadows (moving and still ones). Probably, the second light source appears near the candles. There is no this bug in Thief's Den on this map.

I agree with you concerning an ambient light.

I've tried it in both. I'll run some further tests.

Tnx..

sparhawk, Если ты это прочитал, значит ты делаешь успехи :)

I managed it finally. Took me about 20 minutes. :)

If you (can) read this, you were successfull. :)

My current process of understanding written russian looks like this.

1. I look up every single character in a table that I found here http://www.russlandjournal.de/russisch/alphabet/ to get an estimate on how to pronounce it. This is primarily to get more used to interpreting the alphabet, because I really have a hard time reading it. :)

2. I write each character below the word, so that I know (more or less) how to pronounce it.

3. The I look up each word in a dictionary. Since my dictionary lacks a lot of word, I usually have to hunt them down online (I found a good one here for that purpose: http://russian.cornell.edu/rdt/index.htm).

4. Finally I try to make sense of it. :)

Of course I could simply put the whole sentence into google translation, but that would defeat the purpose.

At least I make some progress. I can already recognize some characters like ( the и ) so it helps. :) But it's painfully slow. I guess it will become faster once I pick up more and more. The only disadvantage is that I often don't know if the written word is spoken like I think it might. But at the moment I try to concentrate on learning some vocuablry to get me started. :)

Gerhard

I managed it finally. Took me about 20 minutes. :)

If you (can) read this, you were successfull. :)

My current process of understanding written russian looks like this.

[snip a lot of pain]

After six years of learning russian, I studied more than 10 years computers and technology, so I can now use a much faster process than that:

http://tinyurl.com/3nvb7u

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

It's great! I'm really glad (and surprised) that TDM participants are interested in learning Russian.

The only disadvantage is that I often don't know if the written word is spoken like I think it might.

Specially for you I've recorded one short phrase.

http://hedonism.nm.ru/files/wishes.mp3

Я желаю sparhawk'у успехов в изучении русского языка, и, конечно же, в разработке The Dark Mod!

This is primarily to get more used to interpreting the alphabet, because I really have a hard time reading it. :)

I remember when I was studying German in school, a friend would ask me, "oh great, can you translate this Russian for me? German and Russian are almost the same language, right?" Lol, what? They're nothing even remotely alike. I always thought it was funny; some people are so clueless about the world.

Of course we studied a little Russian as kids because we all wanted to be spies when we grew up. B)

(As cool as that might have been, though, I'm happier to have Russian friends now...)

edit: post #666 \m/

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

After six years of learning russian, I studied more than 10 years computers and technology, so I can now use a much faster process than that:

http://tinyurl.com/3nvb7u

Of course I can use google translations. I can also ask my russian collegue, but that would defeat the purpose. :) I don't just want to know what it says, I want to be able to read and speak it. ;) I know that THEY can understand it.

Gerhard

I remember when I was studying German in school, a friend would ask me, "oh great, can you translate this Russian for me? German and Russian are almost the same language, right?" Lol, what? They're nothing even remotely alike. I always thought it was funny; some people are so clueless about the world.

LOL! I would understand it if they had said Russian an Polish or Czech or so, but German? :laugh:

I know for sure that polish and czech/slowakian is really similar, because I had a polish girlfriend once and she could easily talk with anybody in czechoslowakia (at that time). She said that the difference is like a different dialect.

I once heard a similar thing about finnish and hungerian. They come from the same source, so they are supposed to be similar. My father speaks fluently hungerian, and once in the train he met some fins. He remembered that I told him about this, and he tried to talk to them, but he said that they are totally different languages and he didn't understand anything, and neither did they. :laugh:

Gerhard

Tels, I have 2 computers, normal, and the very old. I made and test map on the old PC with XP, and after additions ambient light appeared eerie slow fps. But after rename mabient light to ambient_world slow fps is stoped. Thank.

Edited by 3axap