The Dark Mod Forums

Mapping, Programming, Texturing. You name it, I do it.

killhour

I was told to apply here to help with the mod. I don't have any work examples on me (I'm at school), but I can add anything you guys would like later. I started mapping with DromEd, and have experience in UEd 1.1 (UT), 1.5 (Deus Ex), and 2.x (UT 200x). Recently I have been mapping for the Cube2 engine (with experience in the origional), and would like to learn DarkRadiant.

I have additional experience in C++, ASM shaders, GLSL, and OpenGl.

Pretty much anything you guys need, I can contribute to. Any requests to see specific work?

I was told to apply here to help with the mod. I don't have any work examples on me (I'm at school), but I can add anything you guys would like later. I started mapping with DromEd, and have experience in UEd 1.1 (UT), 1.5 (Deus Ex), and 2.x (UT 200x). Recently I have been mapping for the Cube2 engine (with experience in the origional), and would like to learn DarkRadiant.

I have additional experience in C++, ASM shaders, GLSL, and OpenGl.

Pretty much anything you guys need, I can contribute to. Any requests to see specific work?

Hi Killhour. Impressive resume. :)

We can always use more coding help at this point...and perhaps your C++ and opengl experience could help us do some work in Dark Radiant to improve the renderer. :)

I"m just stepping out, but once I get back I'll setup an application thread for you.

If you can make something in Darkradiant and show us, that will open up the mapping oppurtunity.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I guess you don't have to do a full blown mission per say, but something that shows you know what you're doing in DR.

Make it to what YOU can do, if you wanna pump it full of details, go ahead, if you want to focus more on architecture and lighting, etc..

Something that shows us your abilities.

Although, I'm only a beta mapper and not a team uber member, so I don't know what say I have in this, maybe they'll have different guidelines...

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Don't spend a week or take 30 hours on it (unless you want to). Perhaps a room or two, a stairway, an entrance parlor, etc, a good demonstration of basic handling but not necessarily polish or finishing work.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Don't spend a week or take 30 hours on it (unless you want to). Perhaps a room or two, a stairway, an entrance parlor, etc, a good demonstration of basic handling but not necessarily polish or finishing work.

OK, dark radiant is taking awhile to get used to (the controls spit in the face of every bsp engine I've ever used), but I should have something whipped up in a few days.

Dark Radiant is a blend of Doom Edit and Dromed. I like it TONS better than Dromed and also much better than T3ed (a version of Unreal-ed). I've never used Hammer or other recent editors though to compare the controls.

For programming, you can start by getting the latest Doom3 SDK and all the necessary stuff to compile it. [EDIT: Then try compiling it and report how it goes] What platform are you working on?

These pages should guide you thru getting the SDK and compiling it:

http://www.modwiki.net/wiki/Coding

Based on what platform you're on, you can go to the "How to build the SDK on..." section. The mod works in PC and Linux, currently we don't have anyone to test on Mac, so some things may not work.

Hah, it works, definitely a first time beginner map but it works. A couple notes - you'll want to only paint the inside sky as sky-portal, the outside should be anything else (such as caulk or any other wood/stone/whatever. I like the subtle beveling you did in the doorway and corners, nice. The hallway lights seem to be flickering really fast. Good start.

Nice work, some good experiments going on there, like the trim patches (and I like the little wallpaper curl upstairs, very nice touch!)

Wondering why the little door hinge spots are made of patches - you could more easily just make them of small brushes turned into func_statics, then you wouldn't have to put a tiny patch on top and bottom like that.

Also notices a TINY hairline misalignment in the one spot of trim that meets at an outward corner, in the lower main hallway. If you zoom in very var you can see the one patch isn't actually on grid perfectly.

Looks like you're getting a good feel for the editor working with patches, doors, lights, etc, those are the essentials.

Last thing I'll mention, although it's important, I got very bad performance in the map! That's primarily because you don't have any visportals set up yet. They are quick and easy, so you'll want to try that next - stick one in each doorway and window and opening, then in game mode in the console try "r_showportals 1" to see them working (or not - then fix if some aren't working right).

Thanks for checking it out. I'm kind of concerned about performance, since I really have no way of knowing if people are going to get bad performance on my maps (my computer is too powerful to notice any frame drops). I'm trying to map with visportals in mind, and I guess now is as good a time as any to add them.

I also got pretty bad performance without any visportals, ~12 fps inside.

I liked the architecture in that you could choose between several entrances to use. The guards all seem to be stationary, you might want to play with some patrolling guards as well. The 2nd floor looked a lot bigger from the outside than it actually was, are you planning to add more to it? :)

[EDIT: I also had trouble getting into that metal shaft on the 2nd floor without pushing the mantle key. We generally don't want to require the user to use the mantle key instead of jump to mantle, so we want to avoid situations like this. Maybe the opening could go all the way down to the ground so the player could just crouch and walk thru?]

...you might want to play with some patrolling guards as well.

Of the two facing each other, the one at an angle is going to have a conversation, then go off to patrol the upstairs.

The 2nd floor looked a lot bigger from the outside than it actually was, are you planning to add more to it? :)

I'm planning to add a LOT more. This is just a small wing of the main building. I plan on releasing just this wing as a "break in to the main building" teaser level, but I hope to get access to all the assets so I can make it a full sized mission. :)

[EDIT: I also had trouble getting into that metal shaft on the 2nd floor without pushing the mantle key. We generally don't want to require the user to use the mantle key instead of jump to mantle, so we want to avoid situations like this. Maybe the opening could go all the way down to the ground so the player could just crouch and walk thru?]

I want that to be a dumbwaiter, so placing it too low isn't realistic. I might place it higher and put a table under it or something.

Thanks for the critique. I hope you enjoy playing this mission as much as I'm enjoying making it.

P.S: Please continue ramming bad performance into my head. It's hard to think that not everybody has 1.5 gigs of video ram :P

(my computer is too powerful to notice any frame drops). I'm trying to map with visportals in mind, and I guess now is as good a time as any to add them.

Its not so much how beefy your machine is, as it is the ability of the game engine to render. When maps get bigger without any visportals, you will start to feel it, especially on the bigger, wider open areas.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

As a small side note: It's great that you're getting into mapping so much, and if that's what you're enjoying most then by all means go for it. I'd just like to make the point that in terms of mod priorities, what we really need right now is experienced coders. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

As a small side note: It's great that you're getting into mapping so much, and if that's what you're enjoying most then by all means go for it. I'd just like to make the point that in terms of mod priorities, what we really need right now is experienced coders. :)

Don't worry, I'll be doing plenty of code while I map. The best way to find out what needs to be added is to use it.

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been awhile since an update, and it will be another while before it's ready to release, but I've done a lot of expansion, and need some tips. First, the lighthouse light is really hackish, and will be replaced with something better. What's the best method for this? I'd like it to fully illuminate the player whenever it passes by, and have a light ray effect like this: http://backstagebusiness.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/lighthouse.jpg

Also, I'd really like a better ocean effect with a good way to fade it into the skybox.

Anyways, here it is:

http://sites.google.com/site/shadow516/kh1.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

As always, I'd love to hear suggestions, criticism, etc.

The finished product of this mission will likely be described by many words. Linear will not be among them. I like the waterfall and the lighthouse. But.... why does the dumbwaiter you're working on go to the attic? are they serving meals up there?

Very cool so far, and very large in scope i can tell. Its been over a year though, i hope to see lots more progress on this soon. Heres to this mission being completed before 2012!

The finished product of this mission will likely be described by many words. Linear will not be among them. I like the waterfall and the lighthouse. But.... why does the dumbwaiter you're working on go to the attic? are they serving meals up there?

Very cool so far, and very large in scope i can tell. Its been over a year though, i hope to see lots more progress on this soon. Heres to this mission being completed before 2012!

Heh, Let's hope so. The dumbwaiter will have its mechanics up there (pulleys, motors) and it gives me an excuse to add another way into the mansion proper. You'll need a rope arrow to get up there, though.

Not looked at the map but for the light this is out of my head:

Make a cone shaped brush or patch (see http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Dark_Radiant_Keys )

Turn it on its side and make it a rotator (I think it's func_rotator) and solid 0, noshadows.

Move the origin to its peak.

You probably need a new texture, transparent and self-lit (see eg, self-lit window textures)

A projected light. I dunno about performance. If nothing passes through most of its volume but just the end then the project light might just be a shallower cone at the end.

bind the light to the rotator.

Experiment with that.

Good ocean water is more difficult. Here is one experiment I came up with and give more info if any good.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10686-community-requests/page__view__findpost__p__210206

Not looked at the map but for the light this is out of my head:

Make a cone shaped brush or patch (see http://modetwo.net/d...rk_Radiant_Keys )

Turn it on its side and make it a rotator (I think it's func_rotator) and solid 0, noshadows.

Move the origin to its peak.

You probably need a new texture, transparent and self-lit (see eg, self-lit window textures)

A projected light. I dunno about performance. If nothing passes through most of its volume but just the end then the project light might just be a shallower cone at the end.

bind the light to the rotator.

Experiment with that.

Good ocean water is more difficult. Here is one experiment I came up with and give more info if any good.

http://modetwo.net/d...post__p__210206

Could you detail what you did for that water, or maybe upload the map?