The Dark Mod Forums

Architecture

kfmccall

These are great, and welcome aboard, again. :)

You can keep cranking these out for as long as you'd like, as I think they are energizing our texturers and mappers already. However, I have some selfish reasons why I'd love to see some interior shots of a mansion study. :)

It is beautiful work, it would do for part of a bigger mission, but still a little small to hold an entire mission on I think.

I was thinking the modelers could actually build something like this in their 3d app and then convert it to brushes in Doom - what are the drawbacks of this do you think?

IT would certainly look much better being made in a 3d app, and it could be made much quicker in a 3d app becasue of the superior toolset.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

You can build the windows, balcony, little bits of detail, railings, columns, doorways, arches, everything like this as little bits in Lightwave and then import it and assemble it with a mix of Radiant brushes for great effect.

And this allows all the parts to be reused by other designers anyhow...static meshes, basically. Go nuts. We need pillars, columns, just little pieces of architectural detail really. Chimneys. Everything, just don't bother with the boring walls, floors or steps. :D

I was thinking the modelers could actually build something like this in their 3d app and then convert it to brushes in Doom - what are the drawbacks of this do you think?

Actually that is the approach that Blender is taking. I wonder why most games use their own editor for the geometry, because 3D apps can do exactly what is needed to build 3D geometry.

But I guess the reason is because of all the extra details that are needed for a game. Question is if a 3D object can be converted to a level brush.

Gerhard

Yes, but there's no point starting on generic pillar and chimneys and window frames etc. It's going to look a total inchoherent mess if we stick a lot of different styles together on the same building. We need the architectural drawings finalised first so we'll all be modeling and building from the same plans.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

dear Fingernail..

Man all your prayers :) will be answered so soon :) about all kinds of architectural parts for your levels :) wait :) just wait :)

dear KFM

You are really giving us new inspirational visions...Thanks for your time..

Dear oDDity

I think first we should decide on our textures. And then we can model the architectural details. Actually we can make our details and make it with UVs and wait for the texture for later...

BEST

THese are nice, but we need you to concentrate your efforts on making one really big mansion - one where a whole mission could be held on. I guess that kind of gets into the area of mission design as well though, placement of doors and windows, balconies etc, but you can do a basic mock up of the outside for now, maybe surrounded by grounds and a high wall, and we can add mission details and an interior design later.

We'll lso need to get a basic story and objectives written for this mansion mission first.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Mmm, very very nice. :)

This definitely inspires and raises some questions. I am tempted to try and lay out that hallway right now... in fact I might do so. But I've already done a couple of concept/show scenes - neither uploaded yet, because neither are finished enough for me to want to do so (the first is only about 50% done, and the second, I haven't considered it finished because it needs more detail and objects, and at current, some of my models are black again, so I gave up on trying to fix it and was waiting a bit for that issue to be sorted out - maybe I'll have to do another whole clean checkout with the CVS (UGH)).

As for a question - prefabs. I know it's been mentioned elsewhere already. And it's true that solid, set designs need to be laid out first or everything will look like a mish-mash (that happened in a few places in T3). A couple that jump out at me in this big picture here - archways and windows. For windows I'd imagine we'd need fancy versions that are open/openable, and exact duplicates that are solid/closed/butted up against a wall just for show. For archways - always a touchy thing to do in a map editor without a million brushes or sloppy CSG. Surely we'll have doorway arch models?

Anyway this is great stuff. Really inspirational! If you design a full floorplan, I will be lining up to see it. :) Floor plans seem really hard to find on the internet, oddly enough? If anyone has a source, please post it.

Anyway this is great stuff.  Really inspirational!  If you design a full floorplan, I will be lining up to see it. :)  Floor plans seem really hard to find on the internet, oddly enough?  If anyone has a source, please post it.

yeah it's hard to find floor plans on the internet, but not in old architecture books ;)

I have a couple of them here (they to belonged to my great-grandfather and are about 100 years old). I'll check them out and post some scans soon.

Hey BT, I don't know if this will be of any use to you, but I did a quick(ish) throw together of basics on the hallway. It doesn't have the doorway or the window, or a lot of the detail, but it might help to show you areas that are lacking or get ideas for new stuff or whatever. Now if I could just figure out why my patches are going all screwy in-game. Anyway, here's a screenshot.

Edit:

archways are easy with patches etc. but they look much better as prefab meshes.

For the arch part itself, yep the patches are good stuff. But what I have problems with is the... how would you call it. The trim around an arch. Know what I mean? Like, if it were an arched stone doorway, it wouldn't just be a cutout - that would be okay, but wouldn't look great. It would need offset arch stones and a keystone. But how to fill that front and back face, without getting into tons of brush complexity? That's what I'm hoping to avoid.

Edited by SneaksieDave