The Dark Mod Forums

September Update

Springheel

:)

Thanx! :wub:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

You’re really going above and beyond when treating us fans with a new video each update :)

Does the pushing behavior extend to physical interaction with guards? Can we push them aside, over a ledge, or down a flight of stairs?

PS broken link here: http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/bottle_throw.jpg

Edited by Vadrosaul
Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Does the pushing behavior extend to physical interaction with guards? Can we push them aside, over a ledge, or down a flight of stairs?

No, but you gave me ideas :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Ishtvan has implemented shouldering bodies, giving players two options for hiding unconcious guards.

I really had to think about this sentence for a while to understand it right. I was trying to figure out how to hide a body by shouldering him somehow and I guess you'd rather want to say something like "giving players two options for transporting unconciuos guards". :)

PS broken link here

Hmm, so it is. And I can't find my local version of that image either.

It really only applies to movable objects like barrels, not AI.

Could the push work with AI? Say the push applies enough force against the guards mass to move them, say 1 meter if still, 2 meters if walking patrol. If the AI then collides with certain objects (low railing over balcony, lip of stairwell) it triggers an event where they fall down.

I really had to think about this sentence for a while to understand it right. I was trying to figure out how to hide a body by shouldering him somehow and I guess you'd rather want to say something like "giving players two options for transporting unconciuos guards". :)

I guess it technically is two options for hiding the guards, though one is temporary and quite cumbersome.

Edited by Vadrosaul
Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Could the push work with AI? Say the push applies enough force against the guards mass to move them, say 1 meter if still, 2 meters if walking patrol. If the AI then collides with certain objects (low railing over balcony, lip of stairwell) it triggers an event where they fall down.

I don't know how feasible it is, but the idea strays a bit into comic relief if you ask me. Why would a thief with a blackjack and other weapons decide to bodycheck an armoured warrior that weighs almost twice what he does? The very best he could hope for is to push the guard off a ledge, which would be infrequent and extremely loud--I don't see how that would be preferable to trying to backstab or bj him.

Even if the code was doable, it would be a lot of animation work--you'd then need appropriate animations for AI getting hit from different directions, for falling down and for getting back up in space-appropriate ways.

Yeah nice update.

I think pushing guards is unrealistic. I guess if like Springheel said it was a 'running bodycheck' it might be more realistic. But as far a 'nudging' like you could do in T2, slowly pushing them out of the way, well, the AI are smarter than that.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I'm going to put a new update on our moddb page when I finish my homework.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I guess it technically is two options for hiding the guards, though one is temporary and quite cumbersome.

The drag can also be used for fine positioning, like if you throw a guard into a dark area and an arm flops back out into the light, you can grab that arm and put it back in the dark area.

Of course it's not uncommon to get stuck in games by an AI of some description

You can't get physically stuck by an AI...if they bump into you they'll feel it.

Wow! I'd like to see that in action :)

You should already be able to do it in Thief's Den. Currently we have no indicator to tell you which part of the body you'll pick up when you hit frob, so you just kind of have to center your view on the body part you want to pick up. Then you can drag that specific body part around. So you should be able to grab by an arm, put the arm back down by the side if it was extended out, grab by a leg, push the legs back together to make the body take up less space, etc.

That being said, I'm not sure we actually test visibility at all points on the body when the AI is looking at a body, but it's fun to do nonetheless. :)

Our Moddb page has been updated.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Love the progress guys very exciting. I'm sorry to ask this but. . . are we still on schedule for X-mass 08 release? I'm not asking you to hurry up, just asking if the old estimate was still looking viable. that was the prospective release date right?

thanks for all you've done it's just getting cooler all the time. REALLY looking forward to playing it.

A beta-release some time during 2009 is pretty likely.

oh you guys just want to tease us along, I understand. but that's ok I'm patient, I can wait you out. I'm still very excited about this. we may end up waiting a long time for it but once this is out I think it's going to enjoy community support above and beyond anything we've had before. at least I hope so. T2 had a HUGE amount of FM's made for it and even has new ones still comming out. I expect this TDM to be on par with that.

yes, I know that's a lot to expect, but I think you guys are gonna pull it off.

keep it rolling guys I'll be waiting.