The Dark Mod Forums

Spent arrow shafts

Vadrosaul

One thing I never liked about the noisemaker arrow was how it would immediately grab the attention of the guards in the area, and they would all rush to where it directly landed. They'd see it, be on alert for a brief spell, and then go back to standard behavior.

IIRC all discarded arrow shafts were simply ignored or mysteriously vaporized. You could say a fire arrows shaft burned up along with the explosion, and a moss arrows shaft gets covered by the expanding moss carpet, but the rest leave shafts behind that should, in theory, alert guards (like a broadhead stuck into a wooden support column, the shaft right where that firecracker sound was, etc....plenty of examples).

- How does the Dark Mod handle spent shafts?

- Is it possible to make them a persistent object that changes the alert state of guards?

- Additionally, though this may be excessive, could the player retrieve spent shafts and drop them later?

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

- How does the Dark Mod handle spent shafts?

We don't do anything more with them than Thief did.

Fire arrows and noise arrows are not meant to be very stealthy, thus it is ok for them to alert AI. With water arrows, I think it's enough that the guards are going to be mildly suspicious over torches going out...there is no need to further penalize the player for using a stealth tool. Unduly agitating the guards is simply pushing the game further towards combat. If the player can not use the more stealth oriented tools without being penalized, then there is no incentive to use stealth over brute force. It was not the motivation behind Thief, nor is instigating brute force ours.

Yeah, if AI are going to notice spent shafts, then you'd really have to get rid of the bow entirely--why would a thief risk leaving a spent arrow behind when he could just throw a water ball at a torch instead?

Since the bow is pretty integral to the feeling of any "Thief"-inspired game, we stuck with it.

Note that guards will notice arrows sticking in walls, or weapons from other guards lying on the floor, so you need to be careful where you shoot arrows or if you blackjack someone, to careful remove their weapon, too.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Now that that's settled...

You might want to fix that typo in you sig.

Heh, that typo has been in there for at least... 5 years? :o

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=...7s+you+do+it%22

Wonder why my thousand emails to mailing lists with that signature weren't picked up...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

There's a second typo as well, but it's not in the sig...

You mean I managed to misspell "--------------------"? That's a new low, even for me... :o

*facepalm*

I'm just going to walk away whistling from that. No ninja edits for me.

Sorry, I don't get the joke :( (Neither do I get Sneaksies post...)

the second typo is in ZB's post where he's complaining about a typo, that sort of thing always dings our irony-alert bells.

You know, I suspected that, but have read his post like a 100 times yesterday and today, and still didn't spot it until you said so :D