The Dark Mod Forums

Ride the Rope!

Komag

That would be a bug, rope arrows drill into the surface and so should penetrate flesh, leather and so on.

It's not a bug. Rope arrows aren't meant to deploy unless they hit wood. I think we were going to make them do a small amount of damage if they hit flesh, but that's it.

It's not a bug. Rope arrows aren't meant to deploy unless they hit wood. I think we were going to make them do a small amount of damage if they hit flesh, but that's it.

Why wouldn't they drill down into flesh? (What about cloth? Would one be able to shoot a rope arrow into a mattress?) Just one of these arbitrary design decisions?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Just one of these arbitrary design decisions?

You've heard of a little design principle called game balance, right?

If you want the rationale, it's because the explosive charge that forces the drill into the surface it hits doesn't go off unless the arrow hits something solid. Flesh and cloth would not be hard enough to set it off. And even if it did go off, drilling into flesh or cloth would not provide any support for a rope. You can always search the internal thread for our rope arrow discussions if you want more detail than that.

You've heard of a little design principle called game balance, right?

If you want the rationale, it's because the explosive charge that forces the drill into the surface it hits doesn't go off unless the arrow hits something solid. Flesh and cloth would not be hard enough to set it off. And even if it did go off, drilling into flesh or cloth would not provide any support for a rope. You can always search the internal thread for our rope arrow discussions if you want more detail than that.

This is a game, not a realistic rope simulator :) Anyway, it feels totally strange that a thin 2cm wooden stool leg can support a rope arrow, but a fully-grown man cannot. But you can always shoot the rope arrow into his wooden leg :P

Anyway, it is not my place to change the rope arrows behaviour.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I really like the idea, though we don't want rope arrows to become unbalancing. Would it still be unbalancing if they only stuck into an already dead body (sort of how only the last "killing" broadhead remains)? Or is the problem something else?

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

It also wreaks havoc on the ragdoll physics when there's a rope stuck in it and the player jumps on said rope. In the internal thread I believe we nixed it because an arrow drilled into flesh and bone wouldn't really support a person's weight. It would tear out as soon as you hopped on. A leg of a stool isn't realistic either, but that we have a harder time preventing.

Need I mention what happens when a rope's endpoint gets stuck in a brush?

Edit: I figured out how to call a rope arrow in SL. It's a little harder to recreate in the new alpha, but rope arrow bugs seem to have remained untouched since Thiefs Den. (Ropes shot straight down into static props stand straight up; Rope endpoint can get stuck inside brushes)

Edited by Mortem Desino

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair