The Dark Mod Forums

Glass doors

killhour

Is it possible to selectively disable the automatic close with door function on visportals? I have a door that I want to get proper sound propagation with, so I put a portal through it... the only problem is that it's a glass door. I need to be able to see through it when it's closed.

As far as I can tell, it also won't change the acoustic properties depending if it's open or closed. However, I found that if you break the glass in the door, the acoustics are messed up anyways, so I just got rid of that visportal (I tried offsetting it, but it was doing weird things to a nearby window).

You can't disable the rendering effects of a visportal when you close it, that's part of the Doom3 renderer. You can however set the AI soundprop loss on a portal to whatever you want, whenever you want. We already have soundprop control separate from vis, the problem is just the Doom3 code that links doors to visportals and closes/opens them. Maybe we need a spawnarg on doors that tells them not to open/close the visportal?

Would it be that easy? If so that sounds perfect.

My more convoluted suggestion was going to be: as suggested earlier, separate the portal off from the door some, and then control the open/closed state with a script attached to the door. The prob is, I don't know if that will black the view (since it's being forced closed, as if by a door) or not. But if your idea can be done, it's much more elegant and easy.

Okay, I'll track an entry/request for it. Do I understand that after that, it would be up to the mapper to control the sound loss via script (which is a perfect script template stub), or is that also simple? Hm, I wonder if that could be handled with S/R... there is trigger, but no state change.

For a static glass window (that's not part of a door), with a portal in it, it controls the AI sound loss by itself (it has spawnargs for broken and normal sound loss).

Alternatively, you can set it with scripts if you know the portal number:

// Sound propagation scriptfunctions on the SYS object
scriptEvent void	setPortSoundLoss( float handle, float value );
scriptEvent float	getPortSoundLoss( float handle );

I guess we could also make a target_setPortSoundLoss that has the portal number as a spawnarg and the desired loss between the two states. Or we could set this up like other entities (info_location_separator) where you don't need to know the portal handle but instead have to place it so that it's touching the portal? That's probably a lot more userfriendly, since I don't think you can read the portal number from the editor, have to be ingame.

So there's two requests to go on Bugtracker:

1) Spawnarg on doors/movers to disable opening and closing of the portal inside them

2) Target entity for easy changing of AI sound loss on portals

For a static glass window (that's not part of a door), with a portal in it, it controls the AI sound loss by itself (it has spawnargs for broken and normal sound loss).

So then there's already a case where the render func is separated from the sound func? Can that whole/broken property be adapted for open/closed on a mover?

Okay entries made:

1) Spawnarg on doors/movers to disable opening and closing of the portal inside them

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=1184

2) Target entity for easy changing of AI sound loss on portals

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=1188

So then there's already a case where the render func is separated from the sound func? Can that whole/broken property be adapted for open/closed on a mover?

It already is. The spawnarg name for the door is someting like sound_loss_open and sound_loss_closed. It should be in the editor usage tab.

Ah ok, I think I've got it(?):

Case 1: glass door

Covered by first issue: spawnarg for door not to open/close portal when door is open/closed.

Then, use sound_loss_open / sound_loss_closed to affect sound prop (though I'm a bit confused as to how the door will know it is open/closed if the fix is put in place telling it not to open/close)

Case 2: all other things

Covered by second issue: Target entity for easy changing of AI sound loss on portals

In that case, I'll leave both open on the the tracker.

• 1 month later...

umm, don't want to re-read too much and the last few posts don't give me much idea (or if this is discussed).

I'm working on window models, with transparent glass. Obviously they will probably need portals in them to block interior when not in view.

What happens to sound though when the protal opens. As it is a closed window it should probably block at least 90% sound. Is there a way to make glass windows ALWAYS block sound no matter what?

(again, sorry if it's been covered)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• 1 year later...

When in doubt, add caulk, and lots of it. I hope that helps with the custom glass showers!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved