The Dark Mod Forums

3axap application thread

3axap

LOL! I would understand it if they had said Russian an Polish or Czech or so, but German? :laugh:

I know for sure that polish and czech/slowakian is really similar, because I had a polish girlfriend once and she could easily talk with anybody in czechoslowakia (at that time). She said that the difference is like a different dialect.

I wouldn't say that they're like different dialects, but quite similar indeed. Interesting thing is that Chech sounds funny to Poles and Polish to Czech people. Some words in Czech sound like archaic or diminutive forms of their equivalents in Polish.

Russian is less similar in sound, not to mention different alphabet.

It's only a model...

Correct map version

Correct map version (and correct zip, sorry who download broken archive :) ) (with ambient light)

With the ambient light it looks definitely better. But the light from the lamps now looks a little dim. It must be noticeably brighter than one from the candles, to my mind.

Good work anyway :)

You definitely need to use one, otherwise your map will suffer from Doom 3's pitch black shadows.

Draw a single light around your entire map and make it ambientnfo or ambientlight_nofall. I forget what it's called, but it's something like that. Basically, that creates a non-shadowcasting, non-directional light. Set it to something very low. Use the ambient light from Thiefs Den if you're unsure how bright you should make it. Then, lower the intensity of your 'real' lights, so that they aren't washing out from being too bright.

Also name this entity "ambient_world".

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Virtual_Darkness

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

New Horizon, are you testing it with current TDM version or with Thief's Den? As I wrote, I found bugs with lighting in TDM - the light of the candles is too bright, and casting double shadows (moving and still ones). Probably, the second light source appears near the candles. There is no this bug in Thief's Den on this map.

I guess 3axap placed manually candle flames for his candles. That works fine in TD, but in TDM candle flames are added automatically, so you end up with double flames.

That canbe easily fixed once he has access to the full mod, tho, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

(I want to write a script that "fixes" a map that is made with TD resources so it works with the newest current,, automatically. I think this map would be a good testcandidate. The script couldn't for instance just delete all manual candle flames, too, since the same flames can also be used for oil lamps etc. However, it could fix missing textures etc)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Heh, these look fantastic! :wub:

It can be seen that some of our wood textures are really bad (the beams glisten as if they are shiny) but this is not your fault :)

I have seen this before in other maps as well:

http://taler.intway-russia.com/got17/DarkMod/shot00005.jpg

This looks quite unrealistic to me. The room is rather small, and lit by a candel, yet the window shows a bluish tint.

Also I noticed another shot, where also a bluish tint is inside, but IMO way to strong.

Apart from that it really looks good. :)

Gerhard

I have seen this before in other maps as well:

http://taler.intway-russia.com/got17/DarkMod/shot00005.jpg

This looks quite unrealistic to me. The room is rather small, and lit by a candel, yet the window shows a bluish tint.

Maybe it is moonlight falling in through the window? :)