The Dark Mod Forums

Multiple Entity Names the same

St. Lucia. I'm just trying to make the tavern opposite player start more like a tavern. Create a bottle, clone it, barrel, stool, chairs, mugs, all were named func_static_1. I've already renamed them. I had the same yesterday but didn't make so many new entities.

I'm now about to dmap. Wish my luck because if I've missed a single entity name I'll have to load and do it again. :)

OK found two more - I forgot I added a tavern sign and hanger outside. So, saved that map and fingers crossed I can do a quick test and commit it.

Now while the map is still loaded in DR.

Create model at random say coffee table - yes, func_static_1. Create another, yes. Clone one, yes. all func_static_1

Clone an existing func static mug - yes, func_static_1

Create a moveable beer mug from the list - this takes its name from the classname and yes, atdm_moveable_beermug_cheap_1 even though there are already about 10 including a 1.

Note this is 0.9.8 build date 9 Sept.

This is turning into a disaster. Found another couple so changed those in text editor.

My work is missing - not just not dmapped but missing plus old stuff I removed like doilies still there.

Although I have renamed saintlucia.pk4 to saintlucia.zip I now see I have saintlucia6273.pk4 in the folder. Mmmm... So have I been editing that? The map file is timed - ah maybe the map is OK but doom is loading the one from that pk4.

Yes, it's there in DR so rename that pk4 to zip and try again...

This is turning into a disaster. Found another couple so changed those in text editor.

My work is missing - not just not dmapped but missing plus old stuff I removed like doilies still there.

Something is heavily wrong on your system, it seems. It's safest to install a fresh DarkRadiant somewhere else and try that one. It makes no sense whatsoever that all these entities are named func_static_1 - the namespace should never behave like that, there is something awfully wrong.

Did you restart DarkRadiant in the meantime? Could you send me that exact map you're having problems with? I tried it with the saintlcuia from latest SVN, but it works all well here.

Although I have renamed saintlucia.pk4 to saintlucia.zip I now see I have saintlucia6273.pk4 in the folder. Mmmm... So have I been editing that? The map file is timed - ah maybe the map is OK but doom is loading the one from that pk4.

Could this be the PK4 you checked out to restore the sewer junk?

Yes, it's easy to overlook things like that. But my main problem was caused by a leak. To save time I have been using an exec to dmap then map to bypass some of the console errors that do not necessarily affect the map but stop testmap from proceeding. Unfortunately this means a leak stops dmap but the map still loads. I got it back on track and committed last night but I shall have to do some tests about the multi names. You might recall I had a crash the other day and accepted defaults to get it going again. Maybe that messed something up. I'll try deleting all configs and a new install in a new folder if the problem won't go away.

OK, started up DR empty. Create coffee table. func_static_1. Create bottle. func_static_1.

Rename DR folder to disable and also the config on in docs & settings.

I'm downloading the snapshot. Don't know where the info is on this. I recall reading something in forums recently that wasn't in the issue I had which is very recent (only days old)

One glitch with XP is when saving, select a folder & click, Folder opens and files list. Whatever file happens to fall under the cursor is instantly highlighted. Can't stop it. This means the filename in the save box is changed so the download would get saved with the wrong name, eg, darkradiant-0.9.8pre6.exe becomes darkradiant-0.9.7pre6.exe almost without noticing if you are not aware of it. I have to copy and paste the name.

The problem has come back again.

This morning all I've done to the completely new install is move a few child windows. No other prefs nothing. Then I copied my old filters across games/doom3.game. Tested. Multiple func_static_1 whenever I create a model.

Close DR. Remove my filters and restore original. Problem still there.

Close DR, rename folders and re-install fresh install again

Problem still there.

Create an entity barrel

Create another - same name as first

Have I overlooked something? Is there a file to copy to the Windows system directory or something?

Anybody else confirm they have the latest snapshot and no problem with names? I'm just wondering if there is some file not committed.

But as I recall last night when I installed fresh I did one quick test and got func_static_1 then func_static_2 so I thought it was OK.

Hold everything. Entity list is updating with the new entities but showing the wrong names! When I look in entity inspector they are indeed the correct names.

Yet, they really were all multiple names yesterday in the map because Doom crashed and I had to rename them.

So are these two completely different problems by amazing chance?

I could check this out on my work machine - yes, it appears that the Entity List is showing the wrong names. That's presumably caused by the way the EntityList is observing the scenegraph - newly created entities have the standard "func_static_1" name by the time they get inserted into the scenegraph, but get renamed later on to fit the existing namespace.

tracked here: http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=1192

Ah, I wrote the following before reading your second post and I think I guessed right...

My previous version was not renaming entities correctly so everything new was getting eg, func_static_1. They were real names and so Doom rejected them.

After installing the latest snapshot it appears to be be correctly naming func_static_1 then func_static_2 etc but the entity list, although it updates in the sense that it adds the new entity, it shows them all as func_static_1. If you close it and open it again then they are OK.

My guess is that when a new entity is created it is first given number 1 by default and then the namecheck/rename check is called. So my second guess is that the entity list update is called AFTER the new entity is created with a default number 1 but BEFORE that rename function.