The Dark Mod Forums

Skins as Textures

killhour

I want to use the chest model skin as a texture for a brush. Is this possible?

Yes, you just need to look for the shader in the "Other Materials" tree in DarkRadiant's Media Browser. The shader name is mentioned in the lower left of the Model Selector when the corresponding model is selected.

Whether this will look good is a different matter, of course.

Yes, you just need to look for the shader in the "Other Materials" tree in DarkRadiant's Media Browser. The shader name is mentioned in the lower left of the Model Selector when the corresponding model is selected.

Whether this will look good is a different matter, of course.

I tried this origionally. It looks fine in the editor, but when I compile and go in game, it shows up black.

So you're applying the shader "bc_chest2" to an arbitrary brush? I'll have to try that, maybe there's something wrong (either with the shader or DarkRadiant).

I figured there was probably an error in the shader. Too bad, it looked pretty bad ass :(

Ok, this is really weird. I tried using a different texture for something else. When I saved and loaded, one of the brushes I had applied the shader to had the "missing shader" texture, but the other one didn't.

I deleted the brush with the missing shader tex, and copied the other one. When I saved and reloaded, BOTH the textures were missing.

Ok, this is really weird. I tried using a different texture for something else. When I saved and loaded, one of the brushes I had applied the shader to had the "missing shader" texture, but the other one didn't.

I deleted the brush with the missing shader tex, and copied the other one. When I saved and reloaded, BOTH the textures were missing.

Hm. Maybe you could post these steps in a new entry on the bugtracker, and attach the map in question? Sounds like a weird bug, but this has to be confirmed.