The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant Vista Problems

3axap

Can i ask? May DarkRadian0.9.8 (stable) work in Vista?

Сигнатура проблемы:
 Имя события проблемы:	APPCRASH
 Имя приложения:	DarkRadiant.exe
 Версия приложения:	0.0.0.0
 Штамп времени приложения:	48d2bfdb
 Имя модуля с ошибкой:	libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll
 Версия модуля с ошибкой:	2.10.8.0
 Штамп времени модуля с ошибкой:	45ae06bc
 Код исключения:	c0000005
 Смещение исключения:	00228ce5
 Версия ОС:	6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
 Код языка:	1049
 Дополнительные сведения 1:	4988
 Дополнительные сведения 2:	e6363743e5caede107726dbf42ceb8d5
 Дополнительные сведения 3:	cb21
 Дополнительные сведения 4:	d4689c1b167eb11dc525e9ac57f35f4b

It is critical for me. :unsure:

I think somebody already mentioned something about a Vista setting. Have you tried searching the forums for "Darkradiant" and "vista". You should see a few posts, maybe this helps.

edit: this one: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=158490

Also, did you install the VC++ redist package?

greebo, Im trying make "Disable Desktop Composition" mark. But dont know about VC++ redist... sorry :blush:

Dont work :(, install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 (and 2005 too) SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) from Microsoft site.

(Vista home premium without SP)

You'll need the VC++ redistributable package for 2005. We had several other users who were using DarkRadiant in Vista just fine, so I guess there's something else amiss here.

Did you restart Vista after installing the VC++ redist 2005 package?

Well, I can't help you much, I'm afraid - I don't have Vista running on any machine I have access to.

I'm probably going to get a new laptop towards the end of this year, and chances are that I will switch to Vista 64 then - maybe I can help you then.

I'm running Vista. 32 bit.

The only issue I have had with Radiant is the 'white windows' problem. If I run it in Aero basic I can't see text on butons. Sometimes the windows seem 'blank'.

If I switch theme to classic it is fine.

Never had an instal prob or anything, sorry.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I have simmilar problem with DarkMessiah. In www they write "This game normal starting and playing in vita", but i have problem :)... Veary simmilar effect after starting.

Baddcog, 32 too.

I`ll wait :)... Or I`ll in conniption destroy it and install XP. hehe

Tnx for help.

I have simmilar problem with DarkMessiah. In www they write "This game normal starting and playing in vita", but i have problem :)... Veary simmilar effect after starting.

Baddcog, 32 too.

I`ll wait :)... Or I`ll in conniption destroy it and install XP. hehe

Tnx for help.

What's your video card and which version of the drivers do you have?

Also try installing dot net versions 1,1.1,2,3,3.5 (Not sure if this is needed but this is what I have on my vista laptop and it works fine)

Make sure that you pointed DarkRadiant to the proper directories in the Doom 3 folder tree.

Reinstall Directx10 Redistributable (Or Network Installation)

What happens exactly after you click on the DarkRadiant Icon?

Which version did you download? Try latest snapshot build too: http://72.8.59.188/TheDarkMod/DarkRadiant/...t-0.9.8pre8.exe

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I use DarkRadiant 0.9.8pre5.exe. After double click on DarkRadiant.exe instantaneous appired this window: (screen in attachment)

(all instruction from http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showt...p;#entry158490)

I provided you a link to the latest snapshot build. Please uninstall your version and download the latest one which is pre version 8.

EDIT: Also what is the video card in your computer? What version is your display driver are they up to date?

Okey, I`ll try install last version of DR. Video card GeForce 8400M G

Dx10, Video driver version 7.15.0011.5615 (19.07.2007)

I think my problem not in drivers or dx... Why in log file show error here libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll?

Try drivers from laptopvideo2go.com for newest nvidia build, modified to work on laptops. I've had great success with 179.13

EDIT:

Vista 32bit driver: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/nvidia/175se...17913_vista.exe

Modded INF driver: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/infs/175seri..._vista/nvar.inf

Try drivers from laptopvideo2go.com for newest nvidia build, modified to work on laptops. I've had great success with 179.13

EDIT:

Vista 32bit driver: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/nvidia/175se...17913_vista.exe

Modded INF driver: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/infs/175seri..._vista/nvar.inf

This is just a thought but are you using Vista 32bit or Vista 64bit?

A slightly different version of DarkRadiant shouldn't make any difference I'm afraid. Many of us have gotten it to work for Vista, but usually with some small issues.

Here is a big copy/paste of my notes when making the mod work for my wife's Vista 32 bit a few months back in May:

(warning - this is a bit long, and may not help anyway, but just in case...)

I installed Doom 3 on my wife's new Vista machine.

First thing, had to give permission for the install to run (a Vista thing)

picked D:\Games\Doom3

During install, when I put in disc 2, Vista asked to run the autorun file, I gave permission. Soon after, Vista says install didn't work, and do I want to install again with recommended settings. I noticed it was only refering to the autorun file, and I noticed that the regular Doom 3 install progress window was actually still progressing. So I closed the "reinstall" window since it's bullcrap.

When I inserted disc 3, again it asked for permission for autorun, but this time I just closed the box

When it asked for desktop icon I chose no. It asked to register the game, of course I chose NO!

It asked to install DirectX 9.0b (9.0c is the latest, but I don't know what Milly has). I chose Yes. I didn't get any indication of whether it installed or whether it found the newer version. I could check on it, but I don't care for now.

At this point, I believe it would be best to install the Doom 3 expansion "Resurrection of Evil" if you wanted to. I don't care about that since this install is only for The Dark Mod which doesn't need it.

I want to test the "auto-update" feature of Doom 3.

Currently, right after the game install, the "just inserted disc" welcome screen is up, and I selected "Play"

The Doom 3 game loads, the main screen comes up (with Mars turning in the background). At the bottom, I selected "Updates"

It says "New version available" "Download version 1.3.1?" I selected Yes

It exited Doom 3, took me to a webpage (with crazy long address) that's all about installing Doom 3 on Linux! This could be very confusing to regular Windows users. There is no quick and easy download here, and there's lots of weird Linux talk about install instructions that are complex and confusing. The main download link points to "ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/doom3/"

That page is a simple ftp directory, no instructions, can be confusing to many people. Within the "win32" directory, you can find the file "DOOM3-1.3.1.exe" which is the patch. The Linux page did mention that it's 1.3.1.1304, which is the correct version, so this file on the FTP is most likely indeed 1.3.1.1304.

Bottom line - the "Updates" button in Doom 3 is a very bad idea! People are only pointed to a confusing Linux install page with merely a link to an FTP directory where they have to find the right patch file on their own. We should just provide the download ourselves.

I downloaded the patch, clicked to install, gave Vista permission to run the file, went through setup, selected NO to install PunkBuster. Then it said to choose the install Location, and defaulted to "C:\Program Files\Doom 3". I browsed to my "D:\Games\Doom3" and clicked OK, but then the address in the Install Location showed "D:\Games\Doom3\Doom 3", what a stupid retarded install program!!! No wonder so many people had problems with this. I manually deleted the end part, so that it correctly showed "D:\Games\Doom3", and clicked "Install". It finished and I let it automatically start Doom 3 again immediately after, but for some reason my keyboard and mouse weren't responding at all! I was able to get back to desktop (Alt-Tab), and going back to Doom 3 it now worked with the mouse. Back on the desktop I noticed yet another "Program didn't install correctly, do you want to reinstall" regarding the DOOM3-1.3.1.exe patch file. I just selected "This program installed correctly" to close that crap (I assume that window had been stealing focus so that the Doom 3 game didn't actually have focus for mouse detection.). Lesson - at the end of an install, don't do the automatic launch of the program, but just close the install window, check that everything is fine, THEN start the game on your own.

I started Doom 3 again, and pulled down the console (Ctrl-Alt-Tilde~), and it reads DOOM 1.3.1.1304, which is correct. Now when I try clicking on "Updates" it says "Doom 3 is up to date. No update is required."

Okay, everything looks all set, time to try The Dark Mod. I'll start by copying the whole "darkmod" folder from my laptop (which I keep up to date using SVN) to my wife's computer. The folder (which includes my maps) was nearly 7GB, so it took a while!

I started Doom 3, selected Mods, chose The Dark Mod, clicked "Load Mod", then Doom 3 crashed! I got the "couldn't load game dynamic library" error window. Woops, I forgot about sticking DevIL.dll file in it's proper place, which is where? Ah I found the instruction again, needs to just go into my main Doom3 folder (or my C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder, but why bother since nothing else needs this I think). So I copy DevIL.dll from the darkmod folder and paste into my main Doom3 folder, and restart Doom 3. I go to Mods, select The Dark Mod, click "Load Mod", and The Dark Mod loads but Doom 3 has switched to windowed mode. Why? Ah, probably because I simply copied it from my laptop, where I have it set to windowed for testing purposes! Well, that actually works for me right now, so I'll leave it windowed.

The menus seem to work fine on Milly's PC. She has a new ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, PCI Express w/512MB DDR2 RAM, Catalyst 8.4 (I think, the info actually shows "Driver Packaging Version 8.41-070813a2-052498C")

Time to test my city map I've been working on. I bring down console and load "map komag_city66"

Map loads fine, plays fine! Interaction file is all good, everything perfect with ambient, subtle bumpiness, etc. Woohoo. Time to try DarkRadiant.

I copied darkradiant-0.9.7pre3.exe to Milly's computer, and install it (giving Vista permission to run the file). I install to "D:\Games\DarkRadiant", with the Start Menu Folder set to "Games\Dark Radiant 0.9.7pre3". I click on the desktop icon to start DR for the first time...Voila, there it is, unmaximized and with a floating layout, and it seems to be all fine.

I tried opening a few maps, everything works fine. I've noticed a couple small things. The map load window is too big, and doesn't remember the size I shrink it to, even after closing and restarting DR. Also, in all the menus, the highlighted item is unreadable with Milly's Vista settings (which I think are default). For instance, if I click on "View" and go down and hover over "Layers", I can't read View or Layers but can only see a white bar, as though the text and background there are both white. Maybe there are other small issue but I haven't noticed anything yet.

HOLY CRAP!!! Has anyone done any DR editing with a dual screen display? You can stretch the floating 3D window across both screens for a massive huge widescreen display! Or you can have the 3D view fill one screen and have your orthographics and other stuff on the other screen. It's amazing!

So that's about it I guess. All's well with my wife's Vista Doom 3 install (although the game's "auto" update feature is total crap), The Dark Mod, and Dark Radiant (and the interaction file for good measure)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Hmm,

this is so odd, because on my laptop with vista 32, I can run DR totally fine. I have aero enabled and everything. I also have a similar GPU as you 3axap.

I can't recall having any problems at all.

Heres my lappy specs:

vista 32

3gig ram

T5550 1.83 intel dualcore

geforce 8400m gs

EDIT: I think I'll try the snapshot and see what happens

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|