The Dark Mod Forums

What models are still needed?

OrbWeaver

I sometimes get the urge to do stuff in Blender, and it would be nice to spend at least some of that time producing models that people might actually want.

How up-to-date is the "models needed" list? Do we even need more generic models, or are people now just working on custom assets for their own maps?

This is definitely not needed, but I've been doing some testing of horse-drawn vehicles for fun, and it would be nice to have a stagecoach model (what's a Victorian setting without horse-drawn carraiges? :) ). We already have a wagon so we're good there. I've been using the Doom3 buggy for testing purposes. It's set up as an md5mesh I believe, and somehow the wheels can turn.

We have this list here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=7366

Though I'm not sure if all of these models are still needed - I'm sure you'll find something.

That was the "models needed" list I was referring to; some of those look pretty easy, so I guess I will assume that anything on that list but not in the repository is still wanted.

This is definitely not needed, but I've been doing some testing of horse-drawn vehicles for fun, and it would be nice to have a stagecoach model (what's a Victorian setting without horse-drawn carraiges? smile.gif ).

Do you have any reference images for this?

Do you have any reference images for this?

Springheel is probably a lot better than me at picking one that will work well with our setting. I was reading the wiki page the other day. There were Roman coaches, then we forgot how to make leaf spring suspensions for a while, until the 1400's. After that there's a wide range of styles from 1400's right up to the invention of the automobile. I'm imagining a closed carraige, elegant with 2 seats facing eachother.

I imagine a Victorian one that you might see a nobleman riding around on in a Sherlock Holmes movie would be good for our setting, rather than the more Western US style ones. I'm having trouble finding a suitable image.

A design like this would work for a 1-seater, maybe more for the rich merchant or a hired out coach than nobility:

http://sales.loonmeadowfarm.com/Brougham.jpg

I think we'd get more variety out of a 2-seater (a larger coach with 2 seats facing eachother). This is the best I can find so far, but this is more renaissance I guess, and a bit too elegant:

http://www.fortogden.com/08-slide-PICTURE175.jpg

EDIT: Better link: http://www.museudoscoches-ipmuseus.pt/en/frameset.htm

This helps, Lisbon museum of coaches (had to use google cache since actual link broken).

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:r5JWU...;cd=2&gl=us

Particularly this one:

http://www.casa-da-confraria.com/images/img/coach0012.JPG

This one (but ours would be basic black rather than covered in "bling")

http://www.casa-da-confraria.com/images/img/coach.JPG

http://www.casa-da-confraria.com/images/img/coach0001.JPG

That's more like it. The ornate ones give me the creeps, quite apart from looking insanely hard to model.

Do we want an open coach that you can climb into, or a closed door like the one in the photo? I guess a frobbable door would be ideal, but I don't know if such a thing is even possible for a stock model.

I'd suggest two versions. One with the door attached and one with the door as separate from the rest of the model (like chests, basically). Then if mappers want to make the door open they can.

Yeah, I don't know if it's easier to model it whole and slice it up later or model separate pieces from the start, but some pieces that might optionally want to be separate entities are: doors, a frobable coachman's box that you can frob to start driving the horse, maybe the seats, in case someone wants to reconfigure the seats for something like a seat on one side and strong box storage on the other.

The physics are going to be slightly tricky and to make the doors work on an AF vehicle, it might need to be made into an MD5Mesh at some point, but I wouldn't worry about that for now. It should work fine initially as a static setpiece, and when we do add more complicated physics to make it work while moving, it should only involve invisible collision stuff and won't require changes to the model.

Probably the easiest thing to do is model it in two parts: the main coach without doors, and separate door models. Provided everything is nicely snapped to grid it should be easy for a mapper to add the door and move it into position, either as a static mesh or a frobbable mover.

Am I right in thinking our player is about 96 units high? Visually I would estimate that coach to fit into a cube about 128 high and 192 long, if so.

Keep in mind that the current player height is not accurate, as it is set by the citywatch animations.

Don't we usually use an AI to get proportions? Is there one that's perfectly sized right now like the builder or the citywatch? Or is the concern that the player has to be able to fit inside? I imagine crouching would probably necessary for that, not sure you could really stand up all the way inside an RL coach.

Models needed:

We still need more flinder type objects. It would be good if we had really small flinders that can be skinned a remains of any larger object, around 1..3 cm in size (thats 1/3 to 1 inch for the SI challanged :) and different shapes (rounded, jagged, sharp wedges).

Half a dozend of them, and breaking objects could be more realistic by spawning a bunch of them together with an appropriate particle, and then removing them after a while.

@Springheel: The large books and tomes misbehave, they drop through tables and each other. Could you please check that their CM is sensible?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

@Springheel: The large books and tomes misbehave, they drop through tables and each other. Could you please check that their CM is sensible?

I did and they were. There might be an external cm though.

Or is the concern that the player has to be able to fit inside? I imagine crouching would probably necessary for that, not sure you could really stand up all the way inside an RL coach.

I think you would have to stoop in a coach, but having to crouch would be a bit extreme. The structure I have at the moment allows you to stand up inside (since we don't have a "stoop" button), and it looks reasonable so far.

Cool, if it works to stand up that's even better. I get the impression that things usually have to be scaled up a bit from their real life counterparts, like when someone does a 1 to 1 mapping of a real floorplan with 1 doom unit = 1.1 inches, it feels cramped and claustrophobic. Maybe it's the perspective distortion making distances seem smaller, I don't know.

@Orbweaver: I just committed the Doom3 assets from the "vehicle mod" that came with the SDK into our mod as temporary placeholders. You might want to look at how the wheels are set up on their buggy. I'm not sure if they're separate models or just separate submeshes or what.

I did and they were. There might be an external cm though.

I deleted the superflous extra CM on these book models. They should behave now (apart form any D3 bugs, it seems you can f.i. pass a carrot right through any CM as long as you do it with the tip on).

Springheel, could you please spare some minutes and look into the following:

* an "eaten" carrot, where only the stalk and some tiny remainder remain?

* ditto for the turnip?

* one of the dark rocks (the smaller one) has a cube as a CM (see test/candles.map for the four rocks). Can you please either delete the internal CM so I can use DR to make a better fitting one, or make that yourself? Currently the CM means the rock will "stand up" most of the time.

* at the back of the priest there are a few triangles strangely warped (just noticed that today)

I can file bug reports if you want me to.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

* at the back of the priest there are a few triangles strangely warped (just noticed that today)

Yes, most of the AI have problems like that. I've stopped working on them at the moment, as there is no point until the new skeleton is finished.

I don't think I can modify the carrot or turnip, as they are .ase file. Which "dark rock" are you talking about? The player equipment one?s

@Orbweaver: I just committed the Doom3 assets from the "vehicle mod" that came with the SDK into our mod as temporary placeholders. You might want to look at how the wheels are set up on their buggy. I'm not sure if they're separate models or just separate submeshes or what.

I'll check that out once I've got the geometry and texture ready; I can export in as many separate submeshes as needed.

I'd just like to say that the flowers we have are very pretty and well done. But I'm running out of variety!

With that said, good day. :rolleyes:

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|