The Dark Mod Forums

two questions :]

Theothesnopp

ok im gonna have to leave it now too anyway, starting to feel tired :]

i dont know if you see the same i see, but just by the start position ingame there is rain, i deleted it in the editor but its still there ingame,

and in the house there is supposed to be a hole in the flor but its not there ingame, and lots more :/

oh well im gonna call it a day now :] (dunno if i said right)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but what you are seeing in-game is from the old dmap files. You are using dmap. It fails. And then you are opening the map with the old dmap files. I'll try and take another look today.

but its weird because when i add models and objects, they show up fine

but changes with brushes wont show up, but their collision is there.

so i should not dmap it?

Of course models show up. When you dmap a map, then the map file is compiled into some additional information (I think it contains clipping infos and such). When you add a model, that is not put into that info, because it's a completely seperaet entity. Only worldspawn is compiled (among other things).

So a model can still show up at the specified location, but all the other stuff (like clipping information, AI, etc.) is not updated accordingly.

Gerhard

That's because the models are in the map and you can play the map but you are using the old dmap files. What you see in the game at the moment is mostly irrelevant - all those strange things are because you are using the old dmap files. Strictly speaking, if you delete the proc and cm and aas files then that would give a true picture - namely that you won't be able to play at all instead of playing the wrong files.

No, don't worry about that for now. I've now got an hour so I'll work through and try to narrow down the cause. If you can remember exactly what changes you made from the last time it worked until it broke it might help me.

Of course models show up. When you dmap a map, then the map file is compiled into some additional information (I think it contains clipping infos and such). When you add a model, that is not put into that info, because it's a completely seperaet entity. Only worldspawn is compiled (among other things).

So a model can still show up at the specified location, but all the other stuff (like clipping information, AI, etc.) is not updated accordingly.

but i recently added ai to the map and it shows up correctly

That's because the models are in the map and you can play the map but you are using the old dmap files. What you see in the game at the moment is mostly irrelevant - all those strange things are because you are using the old dmap files. Strictly speaking, if you delete the proc and cm and aas files then that would give a true picture - namely that you won't be able to play at all instead of playing the wrong files.

No, don't worry about that for now. I've now got an hour so I'll work through and try to narrow down the cause. If you can remember exactly what changes you made from the last time it worked until it broke it might help me.

ok the last thing i remember that i had added rain,

and it didnt come up like i thought it would, so i deleted the rain and rainsplash brushes, and then i checked in game maybe just 5 minutes later, and the rain was still there.

edit: and after that brushes didnt show up.

Edited by Theothesnopp

You see the models including AI are created externally in model programs whereas the raw material stuff you make of brushes is made in your editor as mere coordinates etc. When you dmap then these values are made into the playable game terrain. So if dmap fails then it will not show any new brushes you add as they are not created by dmap because it failed. But all the models including AI you added are actually in the map file and that does load.

You see the models including AI are created externally in model programs whereas the raw material stuff you make of brushes is made in your editor as mere coordinates etc. When you dmap then these values are made into the playable game terrain. So if dmap fails then it will not show any new brushes you add as they are not created by dmap because it failed. But all the models including AI you added are actually in the map file and that does load.

alright.

so ill delete all the .proc files etc

and just keep the .map

or ill make a backup.

it will most likely fail.

but i will see what i get.

Still working on this but I think the bottom line is some part of the brushwork is too complex/or arranged in such a way, that dmap cannot handle it and its leak file has too many nodes so it gives up even writing it. There are a lot of nodes without volumes - not excessive in a big map but these are probably at the heart of it.

Hang on and I'll narrow it down surely in the next half hour.

Still working on this but I think the bottom line is some part of the brushwork is too complex/or arranged in such a way, that dmap cannot handle it and its leak file has too many nodes so it gives up even writing it. There are a lot of nodes without volumes - not excessive in a big map but these are probably at the heart of it.

Hang on and I'll narrow it down surely in the next half hour.

sorry ill try to have patience. thanks for helping me out though :] :laugh:

It's very strange - I've deleted practically everything but one entity and most of the innards. I'm almost down to a box with player start in it but still get a leak error but no point file. I'll check if the point file is going somewhere else.

It's very strange - I've deleted practically everything but one entity and most of the innards. I'm almost down to a box with player start in it but still get a leak error but no point file. I'll check if the point file is going somewhere else.

the problem could be caused by the Well thingy

i made since after that things started to get weird. since i merged the well to the outer box that is supposed to prevent from leaking.

i think there might be were the problem started.

but i recently added ai to the map and it shows up correctly

Yes. The MODELS will show up, but they will not work properly, because their paths and collision is likely screwed up. Of course, if you added/changed geometry in some part of the map, that was already built before, it might even look as if i

Gerhard

I've got to break off for lunch but will try again later.

I've narrowed it down to that lowest drain box that is under the main box. The leak is getting in the side walls but they look OK to me. Textures on all surfaces OK. Anyway, if I extend one to fill that entire drain solid then it fixes the leak but that is obviously not practical. It might be a tiny grid snap. I'll check it out later.

Meanwhile, if you want to look at it, do a dmap then in Dark Radiant select point file on the file menu and follow the red line from outside below the map and you see it penetrates through the wall of that drain. Normally it finds a tiny gap but this goes right through the wall. That is sometimes a sign of a texture on one face that doesn't seal but not in this case, maybe nearby. I'll have a look later.

Just to avoid any misunderstandings Theothesnopp, I assume you first type this into the console:

dmap mapname

and once it finishes you put

map mapname

This is what Fidcal means by dmapping. You can do it through the editor too, though imo it is quicker through TDM itself.

Sorry if you were doing this already, just trying to clear out any misunderstandings. ;)

Just to avoid any misunderstandings Theothesnopp, I assume you first type this into the console:

dmap mapname

and once it finishes you put

map mapname

This is what Fidcal means by dmapping. You can do it through the editor too, though imo it is quicker through TDM itself.

Sorry if you were doing this already, just trying to clear out any misunderstandings. ;)

yes you're assuming right :]

i didnt know you could do it in the editor? were ? how?

im sry im coming with this totally lame question but ive heard it everywere on internet forums and such what does "imo" mean? x]

yes you're assuming right :]

i didnt know you could do it in the editor? were ? how?

im sry im coming with this totally lame question but ive heard it everywere on internet forums and such what does "imo" mean? x]

Bummer, that would have been an easy fix then :D

In the editor - you using Dark Radiant right? If so then it's in the top menu - Map->Compile

If in Doom3Ed though, it is in top menu - BSP->BSP

Hehe, IMO = In My Opinion :)