The Dark Mod Forums

Can we get a new DR snapshot build please...

I can build a new snapshot today, yes.

But beware, that I switched my coding environment to Vista x64, which leaves me with VC++ 2008 only. This means that users might have to download a new vcredist package. This will apply to all releases from now on, I guess.

I'm on the work system right now, but I've set aside some time later and will try it out. :) I suspect as well it won't work, but the redist package is nice and small at least. My one fear would be if it didn't work even with the package; my XP is SP1 and will likely stay as such. ZOMG don't forget the old timers!

Edit: forgot to mention (duh) will try the work system (XP SP2(3?)) right now.

I can build a new snapshot today, yes.

But beware, that I switched my coding environment to Vista x64, which leaves me with VC++ 2008 only. This means that users might have to download a new vcredist package. This will apply to all releases from now on, I guess.

I'm set up with VS 2008 on XP 32bit SP3 with all Dot Net Framework updates installed I don't foresee a problem, thanks for the new build :)

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, why aren't you using SP3?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

For my work system, I let it update whatever it wants to, so it's either SP3, or SP2 + updates. I kept my game system at SP1 because there were some changes with SP2 going forward I neither wanted nor liked. Of course, I completely forget them at this point... but why rock the boat. It's an old system and will be retired from the spotlight before long.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I just installed 0.9.8pre9 and when I try to run it I get "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail."

Googling this I see it has to do with VC++ and Vista 64 stuff, so I suppose that's exactly what you were talking about above? I'm on Vista 64bit myself with this PC. I'll download that and give it a try.

Is this going to change so we don't need it anymore sometime? Will everyone need to install this VC++, or will DR work for some without it (and who?)

I'm trying to gather facts for the SL editing setup tutorial :)

(EDIT - I downloaded that file "vcredist_x86.exe", installed it quick and easy, and now DR starts!)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Yes, people will have to drop the vcredist package on their system. Once is enough, afterwards the needed DLLs are installed in the system and all DarkRadiant versions will run fine.

The change is necessary because I switched my development environment to VC++ 2008. The old VC++ 2005 is not compatible with Vista x64, that's why we have to go down that road (either that or somebody takes care of compiling the DarkRadiant packages on a WinXP installation, which is not going to happen I think).

Yes, people will have to drop the vcredist package on their system. Once is enough, afterwards the needed DLLs are installed in the system and all DarkRadiant versions will run fine.

The change is necessary because I switched my development environment to VC++ 2008. The old VC++ 2005 is not compatible with Vista x64, that's why we have to go down that road (either that or somebody takes care of compiling the DarkRadiant packages on a WinXP installation, which is not going to happen I think).

I could do that but I already installed VS2008, is that okay? I don't mind doing that.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Okay, so it sounds like nearly everyone will need to download and install that, even folks (like me) with Vista 64. The only people who won't have to are those who, for some reason or another, already have installed it or who have installed the full VS2008. But those people will probably be relatively few and far between (and would probably know who they are).

So I will instruct accordingly :)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I could do that but I already installed VS2008, is that okay? I don't mind doing that.

It's VC++ 2008 which is the problem. You would need to compile it with VC++ 2005 to avoid the new vcredist, but nevermind - I think people will be able to live with installing this package. Also, I need to be able to build a working package on my own as developer, so there's no real way around it.

I'll also add those instructions to the DarkRadiant website as soon as the next release is out.

@Komag: Yes, this is correct. Some people might have installed these DLLs already, for some reason.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm working in VC++ 2008, yes. But the project files are still in VC++ 2005 format (which is almost identical). I thought about converting them to VC++ 2008, but this some sort of shuts the door for all 2005 users, who are still numerous, I reckon.

Maybe sometime next year I'm going to bump the project file versions.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, the FTP is down for us right now, can't upload new snapshots.

Is there any possibility for me to get a different FTP hosting for such snapshot builds?

You can email them to me (nospam-abuse@bloodgate.com) and I upload them to bloodgate.com. I reckon it must be possible to give you an FTP upload account on bloodgate.com but I need to check first tomorrow how to do this and if it is really possible ( think I read it is).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

If that would be possible, that would be helpful given the fact that our FTP is more down than up for us.

It's technically possible to upload snapshots to our DarkRadiant FTP at sourceforge, but as I recently learned developers are not allowed to host binary stuff on the project websites (they are encouraged to use their release system).

As the roadmap for DarkRadiant 0.9.9 is already at 100%, I guess I'll just post a new release anyway, but for future snapshots a proper FTP can come in handy.

If that would be possible, that would be helpful given the fact that our FTP is more down than up for us.

It's technically possible to upload snapshots to our DarkRadiant FTP at sourceforge, but as I recently learned developers are not allowed to host binary stuff on the project websites (they are encouraged to use their release system).

As the roadmap for DarkRadiant 0.9.9 is already at 100%, I guess I'll just post a new release anyway, but for future snapshots a proper FTP can come in handy.

I have emailed you an account name and a passwort. The directory the files will land in is:

mirrors/tdm/pub/ so they should land under:

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/

Please note that for security concerns hotlinking of exe files is not possible, neither is listing of that directory.

The directory listing for darkradiant/ subdirectory should work, tho, and anyone who browses to that directory should then be able to click on an EXE file and download it. Could you please test that that works by uploading something into that subdirectory?

Just in case I am unavailable, you should also be able to update the "doc" directory (the JS GUI, the files from it are just a copy of the ones in our SVN), and you should also be able to upload new releases.

However, as the diskspace on my account is limited, please ask before you put up anything over 20 Mbyte or so :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax