The Dark Mod Forums

Some help getting the mod started please!

HalfKaztBoy

Ok I installed doom 3, installed the patch but for some reason when I try to start up Doom 3 it comes up with "couldn't load default.cfg". Any ideas how to fix this problem? Thanks.

Edited by SneaksieDave
Post moved to correct forum, and your unnecessary attachment, deleted.

Ok I installed doom 3, installed the patch but for some reason when I try to start up Doom 3 it comes up with "couldn't load default.cfg". Any ideas how to fix this problem? Thanks.

AFAIK that can happen if the mod that the shortcut is pointing to, doesn't exist. Also try going into the Doom 3 directory and running the doom 3 exe file directly instead of using the shortcut to see if it will even open.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Ok thanks, I managed to get the mod started but as soon as it starts it comes up with a new error message.

Runtime error!

Program:C:\games\doom3\DOOM3.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Any suggestions?

Ok thanks, I managed to get the mod started but as soon as it starts it comes up with a new error message.

Runtime error!

Program:C:\games\doom3\DOOM3.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Any suggestions?

Okay, does Doom3 run without the mod? Did you copy the Devill.dll file to the System32 folder?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

As I mentioned in the other thread, maybe you guys should consider using an installer instead of just having people unzip the stuff themselves.

This would eliminate some problems.

What do you mean? Are you sure thats the problem in particular?

It would solve the problem of people not putting all the files in the right place (since the installer would do the right thing for them), which seems to be what has caused your problems. Extracting the Saint Lucia package directly into C:\games\doom3 (not into a subfolder) is the correct procedure and should have avoided at least your original problem (and possibly this one too).

Could you show us your Doom 3 folder structure?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

It would solve the problem of people not putting all the files in the right place (since the installer would do the right thing for them), which seems to be what has caused your problems. Extracting the Saint Lucia package directly into C:\games\doom3 (not into a subfolder) is the correct procedure and should have avoided at least your original problem (and possibly this one too).

Could you show us your Doom 3 folder structure?

C:\games\doom3

And into there is the doom 3 folders and I extracted the files into there.

When I said "folder structure" I meant show us all the folders inside your Doom 3 folder (and all the folders inside those folders). A screenshot from Windows Explorer with everything expanded in the tree view would be perfect, for example. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

When I said "folder structure" I meant show us all the folders inside your Doom 3 folder (and all the folders inside those folders). A screenshot from Windows Explorer with everything expanded in the tree view would be perfect, for example. :)

Ok here it is mate.

http://tinypic.com/

Make sure it's in a decent format, like JPG or PNG (not BMP).

From the limited amount I can see there, as long as the contents of your saintlucia folder looks similar to the contents of your base folder (not exactly the same, but similar), that looks correct.

Are you running 64-bit Vista by any chance? (As opposed to 32-bit Vista.)

From the limited amount I can see there, as long as the contents of your saintlucia folder looks similar to the contents of your base folder (not exactly the same, but similar), that looks correct.

Are you running 64-bit Vista by any chance? (As opposed to 32-bit Vista.)

No siiir I'm running windows xp.

Ah, I see, it's just a fancy XP theme - no Vista glass. OK. You probably have 32-bit like everyone else then (although 64-bit Windows XP Professional does exist), so that's not likely to be the problem.

You said you can run ordinary Doom 3 without any problems. Do that, then press Ctrl-Alt-~ to bring down the console. It should say "DOOM 3 1.[something]" in the lower-right corner of the console. What's the exact version number it displays there?

Ah, I see, it's just a fancy XP theme - no Vista glass. OK. You probably have 32-bit like everyone else then (although 64-bit Windows XP Professional does exist), so that's not likely to be the problem.

You said you can run ordinary Doom 3 without any problems. Do that, then press Ctrl-Alt-~ to bring down the console. It should say "DOOM 3 1.[something]" in the lower-right corner of the console. What's the exact version number it displays there?

It says 1.3.1302

There's your problem then. You need 1.3.1.1304.

See this page for details and instructions.

Basically:

1. Download this patch: http://72.8.59.188/TheDarkMod/Files/DOOM3-1.3.1.exe

2. Uninstall Doom 3.

3. Reinstall Doom 3.

4. Use the patch above to patch Doom to version 1.3.1.1304.

5. If you still have problems, double-check the version in the console again.

There's your problem then. You need 1.3.1.1304.

See this page for details and instructions.

Basically:

1. Download this patch: http://72.8.59.188/TheDarkMod/Files/DOOM3-1.3.1.exe

2. Uninstall Doom 3.

3. Reinstall Doom 3.

4. Use the patch above to patch Doom to version 1.3.1.1304.

5. If you still have problems, double-check the version in the console again.

I installed the patch but it still remains at version 1.3.1302. When I installed the patch I install it to C:\games\doom3\Doom 3\

Is this correct or am I installing the patch wrong?