The Dark Mod Forums

Opinions on St. Lucia Demo

plasticman

Hi! I installed Doom3, downloaded the demo and followed the instructions. Everything seem to work fine except the fact that there's no texture on the ground and houses. I can see only some lit objects. So it is not playable for me. This is probably some driver issue or... who knows... My system is E6750, GA-P35-DQ6, 2GB RAM, 8800GT 1GB, Vista 64-bit. It might be Vista's fault? Thank you!

Hi! I installed Doom3, downloaded the demo and followed the instructions. Everything seem to work fine except the fact that there's no texture on the ground and houses. I can see only some lit objects. So it is not playable for me. This is probably some driver issue or... who knows... My system is E6750, GA-P35-DQ6, 2GB RAM, 8800GT 1GB, Vista 64-bit. It might be Vista's fault? Thank you!

Does this entry from the FAQ help?

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...en_mostly_black

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yes, thank you. I've already found it and enjoyed the beginning of the demo. Also after I was hammered and pressed retry or restart, the game crashed to desktop. Otherwise I was stunned by what I saw. It is absolutely awesome what you guys have managed to accomplish and I hope that you will overcome all the technical difficulties and deliver us the tools to take the Thief legacy further. So thank you for doing this and congratulations for the work done so far.

Edited by Nyck26

Yes, thank you. I've already found it and enjoyed the beginning of the demo. Also after I was hammered and pressed retry or restart, the game crashed to desktop. Otherwise I was stunned by what I saw. It is absolutely awesome what you guys have managed to accomplish and I hope that you will overcome all the technical difficulties and deliver us the tools to take the Thief legacy further. So thank you for doing this and congratulations for the work done so far.

Glad you like it! We are working hard to improve TDM even more - but you can already start using DarkRadiant and build maps for it :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I only check up on the dark mod every few months as I dont expect progress to be made lightning fast overnight, so to my delight I discovered the St. Lucia demo on the main page :)

Downloaded it, played it, loved it!

It was so well polished and (almost) bug free for me, that It felt more like a late beta than an alpha like Thiefs Den :)

The mission intro was excellent, the voice acting was great quality. Even the guard's conversing in the chapel was great, almost sounded like the hammers voices from TDS ;)

I only encountered that weird bug where you float out of the map once, but if its eliminated now I cant see that being a problem!

On another note the video of the maze like puzzle, where you use object manipulation to manouver a candlestick through a cage of bars is another ingenious idea! Every time I check this mod you guys are doing genious things with physics!

Way to go guys!

It almost feels complete now!

Edit: By the way I notice references to Thiefs_den in the install files, is it included with this release and can I play it?

Cheers.

Edited by Scope
-Scope

Thanks for the kind words. TDM is shaping up pretty good.

Edit: By the way I notice references to Thiefs_den in the install files, is it included with this release and can I play it?

Cheers.

If you want to play thiefsden, you can dl it here http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Thief%27s_Den

Hope you enjoy it.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Thanks for the kind words. TDM is shaping up pretty good.

If you want to play thiefsden, you can dl it here http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Thief%27s_Den

Hope you enjoy it.

I was thinking more along the lines of playing Thiefs Den on the updated code, silly I know but just so I can gauge for myself how far the behaviour and experience has improved since I originally played it ;).

Can I simply transfer the map file from the PK4 to the St Lucia directory and use the map command in console?

or are there other assets that I need to take into account?

Edited by Scope
-Scope

I was thinking more along the lines of playing Thiefs Den on the updated code, silly I know but just so I can gauge for myself how far the behaviour and experience has improved since I originally played it ;).

Can I simply transfer the map file from the PK4 to the St Lucia directory and use the map command in console?

or are there other assets that I need to take into account?

There should be a TD .PK4 in the Saintlucia install, too. Look under fms/ - it should have been updated to run with the latest code. You might need to copy it to the root doom folder and use "dmap thiefs_den" then "map thiefs_den" on the console to start it, though.

Hi! I played Saint Lucia and i was surprised how much fun it was and i have never seen a toilet with a ladder XD in a game.

I had 1999 loot on very hard and destroyed the statue but i could not find the object that makes it shiver (or something like that)

My lovely weapon the flashbombs did not really work... but i dont needed them anyway.

Waterarrows are working awesome, i had some problems at the beginning but that is cause i did not know how they work ^^.

A guard did not see a blackjacked body.

It was loading really long the first time (could be my old PC).

The hidden key in the vase is a cool idea :laugh: .

I had some problems with climbing out of the water in the sewers.

So i wanted to say thanks for that, and keep up the good work!

I hope i will be able to make some maps by myself in the future but i am really noob in such things :( .

See ya

... and sorry for my bad english

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

My lovely weapon the flashbombs did not really work... but i dont needed them anyway.

If you hold down the use key, they're be thrown further.

It was loading really long the first time (could be my old PC).

This happens because the doom 3 engine loads the ENTIRE map at once. Saint Lucia is a fairly large map. But when you load your game it should take only a second, because you've got everything loaded.

So i wanted to say thanks for that, and keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words, we're glad you enjoyed it :wub:

I hope i will be able to make some maps by myself in the future but i am really noob in such things :( .

You can de-noobify yourself by reading this tutorial, which is very nicely done by Fidcal.

(EDIT: Do we have a saintlucia assets mapping tutorial?)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...e_Start_Here%21

And to be honest, Darkradiant is one of the more easier to learn editors out there and I love it.

Good luck!

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

You can de-noobify yourself by reading this tutorial, which is very nicely done by Fidcal.

(EDIT: Do we have a saintlucia assets mapping tutorial?)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...e_Start_Here%21

And to be honest, Darkradiant is one of the more easier to learn editors out there and I love it.

Good luck!

Ah thanks for that i will check it out later now i just got the Thief 3 Editor to run and make the night throu with the Komaq Tutorial XD really interesting!

I think i will understand both a little til TheDarkMod comes out right? :laugh:

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Ah thanks for that i will check it out later now i just got the Thief 3 Editor to run and make the night throu with the Komaq Tutorial XD really interesting!

T3Ed can be touchy to work with, but if you can get it running and use it...then you'll have no problem using Dark Radiant. Give them both a try...you'll see what I mean. :)

Damn this is hard, T3ed will take me weeks just to make one room look like a room...

Sometimes it does what it wants, ignoring my commands. Well maybe i just do it wrong but slowely i am really afraid of that program.

While working throu Komags Tut. i had BIIIIG visions of a map and a creepy background story but i think noone will ever see them.

Perhaps i should not be a mapper and concentrate on other things like skripts or something...

Damn this is hard, T3ed will take me weeks just to make one room look like a room...

Sometimes it does what it wants, ignoring my commands. Well maybe i just do it wrong but slowely i am really afraid of that program.

While working throu Komags Tut. i had BIIIIG visions of a map and a creepy background story but i think noone will ever see them.

Perhaps i should not be a mapper and concentrate on other things like skripts or something...

Try Dark Radiant, I think you will find it much easier to use.

Try Dark Radiant, I think you will find it much easier to use.

Yeah, thats what I was saying, you won't be disapointed :D

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

You're making it hard for yourself. Dark Mod is already so far ahead of Thief 3 and Dark Radiant way ahead of the Thief 3 editor and you have a link to an easy tutorial where you can make a room in minutes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, people of the dark.

I played through St. Lucia (and Thief's Den too) a couple of weeks ago, and I must say I like, I like a lot. I'm actually so overwhelmed with amazement that I probably can't dissect my experience thoroughly. Everything was to my liking. The gameplay worked well, the visuals were just how I want Thief to look (and I love that you went with a medieval setting in this mission), and the audio suited the atmosphere flawlessly.

A couple of specific points:

- I loved how effortlessly the mantling worked. At last I don't have to worry if I'll be able to catch a ledge and hold onto it during the whole of the ascent.

- The object manipulation and puzzles designed for it were great. I can imagine it giving plenty of opportunities for mission creators.

- I would have loved to have had been able to assign a dedicated key to "run forward" in addition to "walk forward", and "creep forward" like it was in the original Thief 1 & 2. I did see you say it was a limitation of Doom 3, and that you can't change it. Anyways, I can always get accustomed to using a key to make you run, but would it be possible to make a "toggle run" or an "always run" thingy?

All in all, playing this mission has proved that this is a worthwhile project (not that I ever doubted it). My fullest appreciation to ye guys and gals. I'll raise a glass or a dozen in your honor.

Edited by atolonen

Download my thiefy ambient music
(creative commons licence - you can use, edit, etc. them any way you wish for free in non-profit projects)

Hi everyone,

couldn't find the feedback & discussion thread mentioned in the wiki, so just start this one.

Thanks to the team for that enjoyable new demo. I just finished it and like to give some feedback. That would be 90 % positive, I apologize for focusing on the remaining 10 %:

I have issues with some of the dark mod features and feel a little restrained by some of them. Maybe it has to do something with frobbing. In Thief there are many things you can do with the frob-button. World interaction mainly. It is quick, fast and easy. Dark Mod introduces more complex things here, which require more buttons and thus take more time. Examples:

Object manipulation:

The way you can make objects float in front of you and rotate them freely is sure a nice feature for a mapper to place things -- but does it really add to gameplay?

I was fascinated by it at first, but when I had to move that pallet that was blocking my way to the sewers and I was supposed to carefully move it around the barrel and crate, whatever. Why not just frob it (pick up), walk to the window and frob it out?

I am a little frustrated about things colliding with world objects constantly since I think the purpose of the game is not to fiddle around with these.

Picking up bodys:

Imagine you blackjacked Brenard (the priest) in the hallway. You hear the footsteps of the guard coming closer. You quickly want to get Brenard in the privies and hide him in the darkness. You frob a random body part. Then you look at your keyboard and search for the appropriate button you need to press to pick him up . Then you put your hand back on the mouse, move to the privies and start to search for [r], that is, if you are still alive. Chances are the guard hammered you to death by then. Hope you know what I mean.

Readables:

Not a big issue. I usually have no trouble learning the right keys -- but I constantly try exiting readables by hitting [ESC].

Other things: blackjacking still seems too hard for me, but maybe that's just bad skill. The bow works fine since I got used to it.

Then we have the A.I.: same NPC talks in different voices, but I consider this beeing a work in progress. More important are exploits like the one where you can prevent the guards from opening a door by simply jamming it with broadhead arrows. I found they can not even pass an open door when you block their way with a candle since they try to walk around it. Maybe someone wants to teach them how to kick things.

The "missile mode" turns out to be really cool and somehow believable. I didn't expect that from the descriptions. Still I think the number of bottles should not be unlimited unless the guard is a drunk.

Technically everything worked fine for me. There are some framerate drops but that's okay considering my specs and the high resolution.

Congratulations to the team. Even in its unfinished state I think Dark Mod is one of the biggest things that ever happened to the Doom3-engine.

:rolleyes:

-

Regarding the picking up bodies I think its fairly easy too just go up to the body perhaps the foot? and press the use key then drag him away; I didn't have any problems with that

though it is alittle hard to drag them but sometimes I try to drag in crouch creep. xD

Otherwise no idea what you're talking about =P

and the framerate thing I have like a 512 ram vid card and 512 ram 2.8 ghz pretty bad right? and I didn't have any lag or framerate problems on high the first time around but the second time I went through TosL I had a reoccuring lag spike but only due to having my web browser up (opera) which takes about 180ish of my crappy ram away =P

Anyways, I can always get accustomed to using a key to make you run, but would it be possible to make a "toggle run" or an "always run" thingy?

Yes, this is already possible. I think you can find the command on the wiki.

Regarding the picking up bodies I think its fairly easy too just go up to the body perhaps the foot? and press the use key then drag him away; I didn't have any problems with that

though it is alittle hard to drag them but sometimes I try to drag in crouch creep. xD

Otherwise no idea what you're talking about =P

When you're dragging the body, press the equip key to shoulder it.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

When starting the St Lucia demo, I encounter an error:

"couldn't load game dynamic library"

& them game does not start. I believe I have my Doom 3 installation patched to the latest (1.3.1)

Any advice would be lovely.