The Dark Mod Forums

Random Questions

Winkler Oszkár

A little question: Will a level designer be able to put player voices into a map, like the player enters an area, and says something, like Garrett did in the original games?

Yeah, that should be possible with either setting spawnargs or some scripting. Almost everything is possible :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Just wondering: Will a designer be able to use the original Doom 3 contents with TDM, like enemies, objects, etc?

Probably not. It depends:

* when TDM is released before D3 is open-source, we will depend on the engine and an original install of D3 to run TDM. However, the D3 entities are not setup to work with TDM, so it will likely fail. Some things, like textures and sounds can be used (actually, we still reference a handful sounds and light textures somewhere) but monsters etc. very likely not.

* when TDM is released after D3 is open-source, we will very likely strip every content from D3 out of it and bundle just the render engine with out own content so you can play it without buying D3 beforehand. In that case using D3 content is not really usable, unless you want every player of your FM to buy original D3, too.

In any event, we hope to have a fully decked out collection of textures, objects, sounds and so on, so you can concentrate on building maps and not creating objects for them.

Hope that explains it :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

* when TDM is released after D3 is open-source, we will very likely strip every content from D3 out of it and bundle just the render engine with out own content so you can play it without buying D3 beforehand.

I wouldn't bet on that. We use a great deal of D3 resources and I have a hard time imagining someone having the time and inclination to go through and replace (let alone find) all the models, textures, animations, sounds, and md5meshes that we use just so that we can release the mod without D3.

Doom 3 does support playing videos (in a special "ROQ" format), but whether they would work during the loading screen is hard to know without actually trying it.

(Nobody answered your question before because nobody knows the answer. :) )

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 11 months later...

TDM 1.0 is fantastic! Congratulations! However, I have got a problem. My monitor is way too dark. I tried to improve it with the brightness and gamma settings in the options menu but didn't help me. When I change the "r_gamma", "r_brightness" and "r_lightscale" console commands to an even higher value (3.5+), it becomes fine, but after I leave TDM, these changes reset to defaults. With normal Doom 3, I can create a starter ".BAT" file, containing this line: doom3.exe +com_precisetic 0 +r_gamma 2.5 +r_lightscale 3.6 This is a way to enable console commands automaticly so you don't need to reenter them every time. (I need "com_precisetic 0" because the game stutters like hell on my PC.) I tried to do this to the TDM's starter EXE file with no success. :( Could you help me with this? Thank you! :)

Edited by Oszkár Winkler

Winkler Studio: youtube.com/user/woszkar

Put custom command-line arguments into Doom3/darkmod/dmargs.txt. tdmlauncher.exe should pick them up and apply them. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

What, exactly, did you place? Is it a func_static? Is it a light_torchflame_moving?

It is only a torch. When I test the mission, it works, but if I don't see the result in the editor, I cannot design well enough...

You're no doubt using one of the combo light entities, which don't emit light in the editor (yet). They're not a light source entity (which does emit light in-editor), but rather a defined (scripted) multi-entity made up of a torch, a particle, a sound, a light... Not yet 100% supported in DR for render mode. It's not necessary to use them (you can assemble a torch manually), but they provide a nice convenience to mappers.

One workaround is to place a real light entity there, and set up its size and shape, color and brightness, then write that info down, place your torch, and assign those values to it. Don't forget to delete the 'dummy' light entity afterword.

One second; let me find an important wiki article for you...

Edit: Here you go, this will be needed to add the proper values on the flame of the torch entity. Near the bottom of the article, "Setting spawnargs": http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Combined_light_entities

You're no doubt using one of the combo entities, which don't emit light in the editor (yet). They're not a light source entity (which does emit light in-editor), but rather a defined (scripted) multi-entity made up of a torch, a particle, a sound, a light... Not yet 100% supported in DR for render mode. It's not necessary to use them (you can assemble a torch manually), but they provide a nice convenience to mappers.

One workaround is to place a real light entity there, and set up its size and shape, color and brightness, then write that info down, place your torch, and assign those values to it. Don't forget to delete the 'dummy' light entity afterword.

One second; let me find an important wiki article for you...

Edit: Here you go, this will be needed to add the proper values on the flame of the torch entity. Near the bottom of the article: http://modetwo.net/d..._light_entities

Oh... I see. Thank you! :)