The Dark Mod Forums

Steampunk in advertisment

sparhawk

Not 100% sure if there is a definite definition of steampunk :) but today I saw an advertisement from Saturn that sure qualified as such. Saturn is a big local hardware chain, don't know if it is known in other countries as well, but it's known in Austria for sure.

Usually they have currently this women which looks like a character from Tron, so I was surprised today, that they showed a spot which was much longer then usual. The first few seconds there was not even a hint where this spot is from, so I didn't even know what it was supposed to be in the beginning and only after that it turned into the Tron like character again.

Anyway, it looked pretty cool. :) The spot was about dinosaurs evolving to more and more advanced creatures and all looking like steampunk robots with proper whistles, cogwheels and so on. I don't remember at which time it was shown, but when I next see it, I will note down the time and download the movie when it played to get a capture of that sequence. It was pretty long considering that they didn't even show the name or anything else giving a hint what advertisment this is about so it's worth downloading, because I can cut the advertisment crap out of it, without disrupting the clip. :)

Gerhard

Europe is cool like that :rolleyes:

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I get a kick out of some of the steampunk articles I spy on the net. Particularily these two recently......

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/6278166_YCdn5/1

http://www.bruteforceleather.com/scripts/p...p?idproduct=216

Sometimes I wish these things were for sale. I would love to have these steampunk items even if they end up being just paperweights.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

I think Sparhawk referred to this one (it's low-res of course):

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=lBS-6epXPGc

That T-Rex like creature sure looks cool. I agree on cutting the crap ending though.

-

Yes that was the one. :) Didn't know it was already on Youtube though I have thought to take a look at it there. The resolution on Youtube makes it hard to properly see the details though.

When I noticed it the first time I thought it would be a car commercial. Citroen (I think it is them or some other french car company) is also running spots with robots, so I expected it to be a new theme on that.

Actually the first spots with those car robots (where the robot was skating on a frozen lake) looked pretty cool too, but now they are trying to mangle every last bit out of it and it just looks forced anymore.

Gerhard

• 2 weeks later...

I hardly watch any TV because of commercials and mostly crapy program, so I missed that spot. :) The link is down aparently but I just found a new one. Nice spot, considering it's Saturn we're talking about here. The commercials of that company are usually rather simple and seem to be adressed to rather simple people too... ;) It's actually one of the companies I'd name first, if I were to give examples for bad marketing! But then again, I am not expert in this field, so I'll just shut up.

Edited by STiFU

Yeah, that's true. I was wondering, because for Saturn it wouldn't make sense to remove it because of copyright crap (which was my assumption at first). After all it's a commercial and it possibly can't get better exposure for no money. :)

I think this search turned it up, but I don't know because flash doesn't work on my 64bit PC and I accidentily broke the flash applets on my laptop:

http://de.youtube.com/results?search_query...mp;search_type=

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 7 months later...

its the extended HQ version .... and its the official commercial uploaded by the company its self.

(so this one probably wont get taken down)

the best comment on it: " better than transformers 1 & 2 put together! "

Edited by Sogi-Ya