Arcturus

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Horse model with full gear is now on SVN. I've just discovered addnormals so I made three heightmaps additionally to normalmaps for horse, rug and saddle. I've read of some ATI program that can combine normalmaps and heightmaps so I might check it later. Four or six new bones will probably be needed to animate the rug but now it doesn't look that bad. I still need to make shadowmeshes.

finalk.jpg

final2f.jpg

final3.jpg

It's only a model...

I see rug's height map file was broken? Anyway I combined all three height maps with normal maps using ATI's normalmapper. Maybe we should keep normal map (with basic folds) and height map (with little details) of rug separate. It's easier to change only height map if someone wants to edit the texture.

I also added some more detail to the rug and more distinctive folds.

It's only a model...

Looking good! Looking forward to the day when this guy is fully functional. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Looking good! Looking forward to the day when this guy is fully functional.

Are you mapping detail textures onto the rug/saddle, or are you using just a high-res diffuse and normalmap?

Well, I'm using diffuse + normal (highpoly model + heightmap) + specularmap. Are you talking about some other technique I possibly not know about?

It's only a model...

If I may suggest something... that white cloth looks really plain, with no folds - pretty unrealistic. And if UVs are not shared (overlapping), you could bake/paint some sort of ambient occlusion/soft shadows under saddle and other gear to give a sense of of relative position.

Apart from that it's a quite good model and will be a great addition to TDM.

Oh, yes, folds and seams around the edge are definitely improvement.

As for ambient occlusion, I need to read more about it.

It's not a rocket science - it's all about some darkening in corners, and in occluded areas, which suggests that two objects/surfaces are next to each other.

You can either bake it or paint it. The former is always more accurate, but the latter may be quicker for simple situations.

a quick example:

saddle.jpg

final3.jpg

Ok, I uploaded horse with all shadow meshes. I painted some soft shadows on saddle, but not on rug or horse. I assume those 4 models: horse, rug, saddle and bridle will be separate and joined via attachment system? I don't know how it works on our existing NPCs.

It's only a model...

If you want them to move along with the horse, you might want to just include them in the md5mesh and just use skins to set them as nodraw for versions that don't want them. The rug in particular would look a little strange if it didn't move.

• 4 months later...

Horse is almost done except when it dies it's turned inside-out David Cronenberg style:

shot00001fb.jpg

Currently there are three bones connected directly to the origin - butt, chest and rider:

hawrs.jpg

In Doom's Pinky and in lantern bot there's only one bone connected directly to the origin (called 'body' in Pinky and 'waist' in lantern bot). Whole body is assined to it. I assume lack of this bone is causing trouble so I'm going to add it and reexport all the animations. Someone else will have to change the def file however.

It's only a model...

OK. New files are on repository. I added bone called "body" attached to origin. Chest, rider and butt are now connected to this bone,

hawrs2.png

There are also 4 more bones called: ik_f.l, ik_f.r, ik_b.l and ik_b.r. These are leftovers from Blender. They are not needed but to remove them I need to export animation to MD5, import back to Blender, delete bones and export to MD5 again. It takes too much time. Unfortunately these 4 bones alone will make animations few kB larger.

Of course horse is broken from now on.

It's only a model...

I uploaded main idle animation. But now I've found that these four new bones need to be connected to to other bones (only origin doesn't have to be). Or deleted as before. I need to fix this.

Nope. I can't connect them to other bones cause it will screw the rig in Blender. I guess I need to delete them after exporting to MD5.

It's only a model...

AF editor finally doesn't crash when I load horse so I've been playing a bit. I've set bodies for each bone and set positions of all of them to 'joint'. They should be around the bones but they are all shifted back.

post-2001-127075641743_thumb.jpg

I know it's not right. Setting "modify" to 'position' moves body to joint but it has to be set to 'orientation'. Position of each body needs to be corrected manually anyway but I don't want to do it knowing that something is wrong.

It's only a model...

Hm, I don't have any experience with AF editing, so I can't really help you there. Maybe Ishtvan knows more about this? Also, Dram created an AF for the other horse in the past.

post-2001-127091124882_thumb.jpg

Origin is close to horse's back while it should be closer to its front. It seems that all other joints are shifted forward and only position of origin is correct. When I place 'body' (collision box) around origin its position is correct. When I place 'body' around any other bone its position is shifted. So visible coordinates of joints are different from those when you place 'body' around certain joint.

Also neck and head are too low.

I have no clue why this is happening. When I load md5mesh and af_pose.md5anim to Blender or MD5 model viewer everything seems to be ok. I assume T-pose in af editor is taken from af_pose animation?

It's only a model...

I fixed bad neck & head in af editor. I had to apply scale/rotation to animation rig's object data (in Blender). But I don't understand the issue with origin. What you see in AF editor is completely not what you see in md5 file. Origin seems to stay in some magical point in AF editor. Moving origin in md5 moves the mesh around the origin in AF editor. :mellow:

It's only a model...