The Dark Mod Forums

i would like to apply as betamapper (suprise!)

Theothesnopp

Check out this thread here...

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic...8&view=next

skip down to the 4th post where Ivan the B describes how to make the .fx file.

The pk4 files are in the base folder; just temporary rename to zip to open then rename to .pk4 after.

I'm not sure it will work in the base\fx folder so extract the file into your mod folder\fx so if you are using saintlucia resources then into...

...saintlucia\fx

I've not tried it so let us know how it works out.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry i had to leave this lightning thingy,

making advanced stuff like this is to risky for me ^-^.

im sorry for coming with so many questions but now im stuck with alot of bugs and stuff but anyway.

in the media browser ive used "other materials" as wall textures and after a while they turn to "shader not found" textures that isnt what bothers me what bothers me is that ingame the sides that turned into no shaders are all black :/ how do i fix this? without having to manually "copy shader" and "paste shader (natural) "

also i would like to apologize for the delay for this level very busy with school and real life now so i dont have much free time to work with this but i think it will atleast be finished in 2 weeks (i really hope)

In Dark Radiant there is a replace all feature. If you select textures you should see 4 little buttons near the top. The right one says 'Find and Replace'. Check one of the surfaces in Surface Inspector. Maybe the path is wrong. Find the correct one that you want and replace it.

Try this. Select the surface with the 'bad' texture and in Surface Inspector, copy the name and paste it into the find and replace directly without using its browser. Same with the replace. You might need to copy the two first into a text editor if you can't get at the second one while find and replace is open.

Alternatively this operation can be done in a text editor with search and replace.

Can you give an example of one texture you had before and what scale you had and what it is now? It's not clear exactly what has happened (to me anyway!)

höhö im sry ^-^

im using rtable for walls (the walls is not a big problem) and bookcases the bookcases are not heavy but lightly decorated so i have moved and resized some sides different for some other.

and it would be a pain to move and rezise it all over again every time it turns into "no shader" or _default as it says in the surface inspector.

so if there is a way to solve this permanently i would appreciate it alot ^-^ thanks

edit: the scale get alot bigger :/ and moves alot to

Edited by Theothesnopp

I can't think of any reason why a texture would change to _default. If you chose rtable1 or rtable2 and somehow the texture files got moved or deleted then that would show as Shader not found but Surface Inspector would still show rtable1 or 2. You say it has changed from rtable1 to _default?

Have you changed the mod at all? eg, from Saint Lucia to some other mod or back to Doom?

Are you using Dark Radiant?

Do you regularly save your map with a new name so you have many versions and can go back to one you saved a couple of days ago? What does it have in there?

I can't think of any reason why a texture would change to _default. If you chose rtable1 or rtable2 and somehow the texture files got moved or deleted then that would show as Shader not found but Surface Inspector would still show rtable1 or 2. You say it has changed from rtable1 to _default?

Have you changed the mod at all? eg, from Saint Lucia to some other mod or back to Doom?

Are you using Dark Radiant?

Do you regularly save your map with a new name so you have many versions and can go back to one you saved a couple of days ago? What does it have in there?

forgot to add text lol ^-^

the texture show up fine in radiant. but then after that i saved a few times some side starts to turn into "_default" and then i keeps on going like that, this happens to all textures ive used that is from "other Materials" in the media browser.

Edit: yes i use radiant :]

Edited by Theothesnopp

Theothesnopp: We can't tell what the problem is without more info and testing. Can you do the following please?

• In Dark Radiant Preferences > Autosave, set snapshots on or alternatively, save your map with a new name regularly (I mean every 10, 20 or 30 minutes.)
  • Change one surface to rtable1
  • Keep careful note of everything you do that might be relevant.
  • Keep checking that surface.

If it changes to _default please compare the previous snapshot(s) to find one where it is still OK. See if you can figure out what you do did in between.

For example, is it possible that you had a lot of brushes selected without realizing when you made some other change?

If you go for some time without the surface changing you might feel confident enough to change the other surfaces. You might use find and replace to change _default to rtable1 though from what you say you still will need to align/scale them.

Always keep making new name saves or snapshots so if anything extreme happens you don't lose the entire map and maybe months or even years of work.

How often should you make new name saves? Similarly, how often should you just resave with the same name? The answer is 'how much work would you like to have to redo?' If you would not mind re-doing 20 minutes work but would hate to have to redo 20 hours then the answer is somewhere in the middle. I find sometimes I can work for an hour but a lot is experimental or 'thinking' and I can redo the product of that hour in 5 minutes - so an hour is plenty before I need to resave with a new name. Another time I work intensively and creatively for 20 minutes and it is impossible to exactly recreate that work exactly the same so every 5 minutes might be better during that period. And if I have to spend an hour re-doing some work then I save every minute! I can't endure having to do it again a third time!

Theothesnopp: We can't tell what the problem is without more info and testing. Can you do the following please?
  • In Dark Radiant Preferences > Autosave, set snapshots on or alternatively, save your map with a new name regularly (I mean every 10, 20 or 30 minutes.)
  • Change one surface to rtable1
  • Keep careful note of everything you do that might be relevant.
  • Keep checking that surface.

If it changes to _default please compare the previous snapshot(s) to find one where it is still OK. See if you can figure out what you do did in between.

For example, is it possible that you had a lot of brushes selected without realizing when you made some other change?

If you go for some time without the surface changing you might feel confident enough to change the other surfaces. You might use find and replace to change _default to rtable1 though from what you say you still will need to align/scale them.

Always keep making new name saves or snapshots so if anything extreme happens you don't lose the entire map and maybe months or even years of work.

How often should you make new name saves? Similarly, how often should you just resave with the same name? The answer is 'how much work would you like to have to redo?' If you would not mind re-doing 20 minutes work but would hate to have to redo 20 hours then the answer is somewhere in the middle. I find sometimes I can work for an hour but a lot is experimental or 'thinking' and I can redo the product of that hour in 5 minutes - so an hour is plenty before I need to resave with a new name. Another time I work intensively and creatively for 20 minutes and it is impossible to exactly recreate that work exactly the same so every 5 minutes might be better during that period. And if I have to spend an hour re-doing some work then I save every minute! I can't endure having to do it again a third time!

I have no problem recreating the texture size and etc in 20 minutes :)

but if so ill make it when its all finished :]

i dont know if i'll have time fixing anything today im kind of busy but ill work with it when ive got the time ^-^

edit: sry if i misunderstand the question x]

Edited by Theothesnopp

If you mean surround the house with a large brush entirely of visportal texture then 'make room' it to surround the house with visportals then no.

or surround the house with brushes and then Select brush -> make visportal

EDIT: i guess thats makes no difference ^-^

Edited by Theothesnopp

If you haven't read the visportal tutorial, I suggest you check it out.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Visportals

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

yes i have read about visportals but i havent worked with visportals be4 so its a bit confusing but i think im getting there :].

ok i have another question, im gonna make a "train" that will translate i dunno how far yet. anyway is will visportals still work if i add "bind" to them will they still work?

Why not move the environment instead of the train, have you played T2X? There was a great mission with a station and a train.

yes ive played t2x it was great :o but i only got to play the first mission then i upgraded to vista and now i dont have it installed :/

yeah that would be a great idea! but im not making a passanger train this will only be moving crates barrels and stuff like that i dont know the word for it ^-^, but it would be hard to move the environment since there is a city with a few interiors :/.

but great idea