The Dark Mod Forums

Strange box in lower left corner of screen

ravenx444

Hi, Guys, I LOVE YOU, okay in a nerdy man way, but OMG thank you so much for making Thief FUN AGAIN. WOOT!

Alright, Was playing through Tears tonight, and although it didnt stop me from playing through the level, there was almost always this tiny ....box in the lower left corner of the screen. It would obstruct the view of any weapons that i was selecting and it seemed to update with the visibility crystal in the center of the screen. Just wondering if there was a workaround to get rid of it, or pointing it out if you guys havent encountered it.

I'm using a radeon 4850 hd, Intel Quad core, 2gb Ram, xp Pro SP2.

Radeon bug maybe?, no idea.

Great job again

WOOT!

Hehe, that's the lightgem debug ;)

The way to turn that on/off is through console via the following command:

tdm_lg_hud 0 (default)

"Shows the rendersnaphost n = <1..6> of the lightgem on-screen. If 0 none is shown."

It displays the rendershot of the lightgem in the bottom left, quite useful for debugging.

But why on earth was that enabled in the first place? :huh:

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

But why on earth was that enabled in the first place? :huh:

My guess is that ravenx444 was stuffing around with variables, testing what they do etc and must have changed this one and overlooked its effect at first. Am I right? :D

It started showing up after the first time the game loaded and crashed.

The first time I played the game, everything was fine. I left after making sure it worked, changed my resolution and AA settings, restarted the game, it loaded and crashed. It proceeded to crash until i reset the settings back to normal, but then the box was there. I finally got my settings in place, but now the box is still there. I tried out that console command as well, did not work. Box is still there.

I've actually seen this lightgem image come up without touching the debug settings now and then, usually right before or during a crash.

Could be some stray pointer or corrupted memory. After all, it's just a boolean, so if a crash is coming up because of corrupted memory, of course the box can be considered to be switched on if the value at that location is set. I don't think that this is a cause though. More likely a symptom of the underlying problem.

Gerhard

The first time I played the game, everything was fine. I left after making sure it worked, changed my resolution and AA settings, restarted the game, it loaded and crashed. It proceeded to crash until i reset the settings back to normal, but then the box was there. I finally got my settings in place, but now the box is still there. I tried out that console command as well, did not work. Box is still there.

Maybe you should install a clean copy of your config file. If the crash caused a corrupted version of the cvars to be saved, this might happen. Unless you mean that the variable is turned off and it still shows, which I never heard before.

Gerhard