The Dark Mod Forums

Sfx Review

saxmeister

Additional test for an ambient here....

Cathedral sound - monk chanting...

Gregorian chant ambient sample

Feedback? Already I think the low monk voice shouldn't pulse near the end, but see if the sound is okay....

Thanks

-sax

Edited by saxmeister

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

Very nice medieval theme there! However something needs to be done with the actual voice samples so they're made more credible - they lack the organic feel in my opinion (I don't think they're multisampled, are they?). I'd try to cover it up with strong reverberation and a wee bit of delay perhaps, it should also add to the whole cathedral feeling. Perhaps slowing down the tempo a bit and set the attack speed to a higher setting, hence making the voices more enigmatic and the whole theme turns more dramatic. A great job still!

mrD

Okay, updates here... :)

Here is the latest revision to the monks chanting so see if this helps.

Took the advice and slowed it down.... :)

Gregorian Chant rev. 1

And here's my take on the "new objective" sfx

new objective sfx

And here is a samples of the ambient water drip loop for an underground level.

ambient water drip loop

-sax

Edited by saxmeister

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

More sfx experimentation.... This one came out of playing with a synth for a bit....

A machine sound loop

machine hum.ogg

some sort of "critter" that screams in the night....

creature/critter scream

and a creepy ambient loop

ambient haunt file

-sax

Edited by saxmeister

• 2 weeks later...
A few more sound samples for review....

I've been working on some of the loop samples that could be used for a mood setting when entering an area of danger or interest. These smaller samples are looped but faded in and out by the sound engine.

[url="http://www.myersmedia.net/darkmod/amb_loopL7.ogg"]ambient loop - amb_loopL7.ogg[/url]
[url="http://www.myersmedia.net/darkmod/amb_substr01_loop.ogg"]ambient loop - amb_substr01_loop.ogg[/url]
[url="http://www.myersmedia.net/darkmod/amb_underground.ogg"]ambient - underground[/url]
[url="http://www.myersmedia.net/darkmod/amb_wind.ogg"]ambient - amb_wind.ogg[/url]
[url="http://www.myersmedia.net/darkmod/amb_wind_lo.ogg"]ambient - amb_wind_lo.ogg[/url]

Now, for some different bell sounds....
[url="http://www.myersmedia.net/darkmod/bells_01.ogg"]bells_01.ogg[/url]
[url="http://www.myersmedia.net/darkmod/bells_01_deep.ogg"]bells_01_deep.ogg[/url]
[url="http://www.myersmedia.net/darkmod/bells_02.ogg"]bells_02.ogg[/url] Edited by saxmeister

Comments:

Gregorian

Great stuff. I'm thinking of breaking it up into three files, much like they did in Thief with the SINGING1/2 files. They could then play randomly with a shader or similar.

New objective

Not bad, but keep experimenting. Also, I get some distortion the first instant of the sound. Maximised too much?

Waterdrips

Also great. Maybe a tad longer than it needs to be, but don't bother with that, it's great.

Machinehum

Okey, that's it. No more machinehums people, we've got like 200 already. ;)

Growl

I don't know about this one. It just doesn't sound very intimidating to me. Go crazy with effects and see what you come up with!

Ambient haunt

Now that's more like it. ;) Pretty freeky in some spots. You could try to lower the background hum a little, especially if it's intended for looping, since it's kinda naggin.

About the tension loops, is there any reason to have the sound engine handle the fadein/fadeouts? Anyway:

Ambloop 7

Great. Feels very Thiefy.

Ambsubstr

Same goes for this one. Very Thief 2.

Amb underground

This one is frickin awsome. Great job! Only thing is that it doesn't loop perfectly. But I dig the sounds. Reminds me of the bonehoard. :)

The wind sounds

The first one is ok, but the second one is better.

The bell sounds

Bell_01 and bells_02 are great. The deep one sounds.. weird. Sounds like a stereo effect gone wrong or something. The bell sound comes out of the right channel, and the bass sound from the left.

No need for that. And of course you can use the sound also in a cutscene. Without frobbing. :) No need to make the names longer then is neccessary.

Don't know why I haven't responded to this earlier. Well the reason it, if you look at the naming scheme, that all things you frob have the "frob" prefix. Like this: "frob_door_metal_open", "frob_door_wood_close", "frob_food_apple", frob_food_deerleg", "frob_instrument_harp" and now then: "frob_instrument_victrola" and "frob_instrument_musicbox". It's a much smarter system than the one which was used in Thief 1/2 (if you even can call it a system, they just threw everything inside one folder and named it stuff like "DOORS1C" "dronelp", "FAKEWIND5" etc.)

And of course you can use it in a cutscene if you wish, but the main purpose of the sound is to be played when the player frob a musicbox.

Oh, and I'll make the names as long as I want to! :D

Gregorian

Great stuff. I'm thinking of breaking it up into three files, much like they did in Thief with the SINGING1/2 files. They could then play randomly with a shader or similar.

Sounds good to me..... Do you want me to do it or can you handle it easily enough right now?

New objective

Not bad, but keep experimenting. Also, I get some distortion the first instant of the sound. Maximised too much?

Still working on it.... :)

Waterdrips

Also great. Maybe a tad longer than it needs to be, but don't bother with that, it's great.

I can make it shorter if you'd like.... no problem!

Machinehum

Okey, that's it. No more machinehums people, we've got like 200 already.

Oops! Sorry.... got a little excited there.... ;)

Growl

I don't know about this one. It just doesn't sound very intimidating to me. Go crazy with effects and see what you come up with!

Ah, I was just messin' around and it sounded sort of neat. I didn't even think we had any creature growls in the game, but thought I'd share.... :)

Ambient haunt

Now that's more like it.  Pretty freeky in some spots. You could try to lower the background hum a little, especially if it's intended for looping, since it's kinda naggin.

I'm on it... I'll post when I get that tweaked....

About the tension loops, is there any reason to have the sound engine handle the fadein/fadeouts? Anyway:

Sorry, wasn't sure if we should design a longer loop or if the sound engine did a lot of the looping. I think T1/T2 did that and used shorter loops that were pieced together... at least that's what it sound slike from the samples I've been studying... whatever you want I'll do! :)

Ambloop 7

Great. Feels very Thiefy.

Ambsubstr

Same goes for this one. Very Thief 2.

That's what I was hoping for... ;)

Amb underground

This one is frickin awsome. Great job! Only thing is that it doesn't loop perfectly. But I dig the sounds. Reminds me of the bonehoard.

Glad you like it. I was in the process of fixing the loop problem as you wrote, so I'm getting that fixed.... I'll post it when I've got it done..

The wind sounds

The first one is ok, but the second one is better.

I can do more, but I wanted to have different types of wind.... some fast, outside, you-can-really-hear-it wind and some in-the-distance-not-so-easy-to-hear-and-somewhat-creepy wind. How's that for a long filename ;)

The bell sounds

Bell_01 and bells_02 are great. The deep one sounds.. weird. Sounds like a stereo effect gone wrong or something. The bell sound comes out of the right channel, and the bass sound from the left.

Yeah, the deep one was an experiment to see what that would sound like. Sometimes experiments just don't go the way they ought to... ;)

I'm in the process of making a larger bell for maybe the cathedral/church and some smaller bell sounds for the clocks in the mansion, etc.

Thanks for the input!

Okay, more sfx for review..... sorry to bombard everyone!!!

Clock ticks.... maybe these could be used as ticks for larger clocks in a level like the mansion....

clocktick_60_loop.ogg

clocktick_120_loop.ogg

clocktick_30_loop.ogg

Edited by saxmeister

Ghost chain rattling sfx

fx_chains01.ogg

fx_chains02.ogg

fx_chains03.ogg

This one I wasn't sure what to use it for... city ambient sound when you first start? maybe when player gets killed? I'm not sure... listen and you decide. :)

trippystring2.ogg

Edited by saxmeister

1. Sounds good to me..... Do you want me to do it or can you handle it easily enough right now?

2. I can make it shorter if you'd like.... no problem!

3. I'm on it...  I'll post when I get that tweaked....

4. Sorry, wasn't sure if we should design a longer loop or if the sound engine did a lot of the looping.  I think T1/T2 did that and used shorter loops that were pieced together... at least that's what it sound slike from the samples I've been studying... whatever you want I'll do! :)

5. Glad you like it.  I was in the process of fixing the loop problem as you wrote, so I'm getting that fixed....  I'll post it when I've got it done..

Quick replies:

1. Oh I can do it. No problem.

2. I'll take care of that as well. Maybe I'll break it up into two smaller files.

3. Ok.

4. Aha, now I get you. Hm, we should ask the programmers if this will be possible. Otherwise we could just make them fade in and fade out in the soundfile, since "tension" sounds wouldn't last very long. (You're talking about stuff like when you sneak up on that guard in Bafford's basement right?)

5. Great. Remember to post it! :)

Okay, now try the link... I edited the last post I did and fixed it there as well... sorry! :(

This one I wasn't sure what to use it for... city ambient sound when you first start?  maybe when player gets killed?  I'm not sure... listen and you decide. :)

trippystring2.ogg

Also, here's something for The Scary Place possibly. The loop has a little click at the end that I'm in the proces of fixing right now, but I wanted to get feedback before I finalized it....

l7lowambient_loop.ogg

Hawk, I'll process the chain sounds mor eheavily.. sorry... I'm such a wimp when it comes to special effects.. I never use enough... ;)

Edited by saxmeister

Okay, revised chain fx... NOW WITH MORE PROCESSING..... ;)

These should hopefully sound more realistic and like T1/T2

fx_chains01_rev1.ogg

fx_chains02_rev1.ogg

fx_chains03_rev1.ogg

And, I chopped and pieced some wolf sounds together to get a distant howl fx.

howl3_mono.ogg

Edited by saxmeister

• 7 months later...

Okay, long time, no post, but here are some updates to the original files I posted awhile back....

Here is a revised version of the ambient haunt file

ambient haunt version 2

See if that takes care of the overpowering bass sounds....

I'll have more soon....

-Sax

Hmm, it goes to an HTML page for me...? I can't get to the audio file

I don't know what's been going on with my server, but I'm posting the files and the links ot th efiles the same way I have always done. But now, all of my links are showing up as HTML files! I can download them as HTML and then rename them with the .OGG extension and they play just fine. I've made sure that I'm transferring in BINARY mode with my FTP program. I'm trying to get help from my host but can't even get through to them right now.

So, try downloading and changing the extension to .ogg and see if it works for you.

Sorry!

(a very frustrated) sax

I agree, Hawk... This would be a great test. Also, it would help the sound designers to hear the volume levels and the overall "quality" of the samples while they are mixed in the live environment.

By the way, I got the servers straightened out and .OGG files are now downloading correctly. The servers were updated about the time the first message about downloading errors popped up. I went back and looked and ALL of files I had posted before were showing up as HTML/text. The .htaccess file was erased that had the MIME configuration for .OGG files.

All is well now.... ;)

Here's the latest revision of the ambient underground with the fixed looping

ambient underground rev. 3

And the ambient haunt sound with even less bass

ambient haunt rev. 3

Nice to see you back. I'll check those out

It's nice to be back! I've missed you guys! Life has finally slowed down a little so it's nice to be back to the things that help me relax!