The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex 3

Unstoppable

You make it sound like a binary thing. "Either you're with us or you're against us! Heretics!" <_<

(Essay topic: Discuss the polarisation of debate with reference to the plot of the original Deus Ex. :P )

Most of us are merely adopting a quietly pessimistic wait-and-see approach, which is the most sensible one.

I disagree with you on those statements everywhere thing.

Work at a few companies and then say that. :rolleyes: I work at a university and I even see some of it there.

What management says about the company to prospective new hires and what the PR department allows the developers to say about their upcoming games will necessarily paint a bright and shiny picture. What do you think would happen to a developer who went public before a game's release and said "yeah, actually, this is turning out not so good, sorry guys"? They'd get fired, the company's share price would plummet, sales would suffer causing more financial issues, and the game might even be cancelled entirely (depending on how far through development it was and so on).

Conclusion: The picture the company presents to the outside world is not necessarily connected with reality.

Further conclusion: Therefore one can't judge how good a game is before it's out, or at least before it's been previewed at a late stage of development by a reputable independent source, because one has nothing else to go on.

P.S. "Late stage of development" != "20% complete" (whatever that actually means).

Did you forget what HUGE dissapointment Invisible War was?

No. I thought perhaps you had. ^_^

Also I just found out that it apears Direct2Drive was able to successfully sell Invisible War. I'll have to verify this claim however.

Define "success". No doubt Direct2Drive makes a profit on almost every game they sell; I presume they simply take a cut of each sale (that's the usual distributor business model), and their overheads must be small since they don't have physical inventory to worry about. They pretty much only have to pay for employees, servers, bandwidth, and office space. None of which is cheap per se, but it's a lot cheaper than developing the games in the first place.

Main streaming does not mean they will alienate the hardcore fans.

No, it doesn't have to. But it's distressingly common. (Distressing to developers as well as gamers, by the way, though sometimes for different reasons.)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unstoppable, I think you should look up cyberpunk, as it doesn't mean exactly what you think it means.

I'm sitting on the fence, I think Deus Ex 3 will be a good game in it's own right, but will it be a Deus Ex game. And for those who say to judge a game on it's own merits, they can go and play some other game. If you're going to make a game in a franchise, it has to live up to the standards of the previous games (read, Deus Ex, not Invisible War) and the continuity of that storyline etc... otherwise, make it seperate (e.g. like they did with Project Snowblind).

I'm concerned about auto-health-regen (what was wrong with it as an aug?) and the use of a cover system, LOS stealth rather than traditional shadow stealth and some other stuff which is replacing what was good in Deus Ex (rather than building on it). I also don't like "one ammo type for each gun"; no multiple ammo types is just as bad; c'mon, many games have alternate ammo for guns now, even IWar had some guns with multiple functions (that replaced different ammo in a shitty way, but still)

I think it'll at least be an OK game (heck, even IWar was; yes I tried it, I couldn't resist :( ) but will it be Deus Ex?

Edited by Stormbringer951
Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

Unstoppable, I think you should look up cyberpunk, as it doesn't mean exactly what you think it means.

I'm sitting on the fence, I think Deus Ex 3 will be a good game in it's own right, but will it be a Deus Ex game. And for those who say to judge a game on it's own merits, they can go and play some other game. If you're going to make a game in a franchise, it has to live up to the standards of the previous games (read, Deus Ex, not Invisible War) and the continuity of that storyline etc... otherwise, make it seperate (e.g. like they did with Project Snowblind).

I'm concerned about auto-health-regen (what was wrong with it as an aug?) and the use of a cover system, LOS stealth rather than traditional shadow stealth and some other stuff which is replacing what was good in Deus Ex (rather than building on it). I also don't like "one ammo type for each gun"; no multiple ammo types is just as bad; c'mon, many games have alternate ammo for guns now, even IWar had some guns with multiple functions (that replaced different ammo in a shitty way, but still)

I think it'll at least be an OK game (heck, even IWar was; yes I tried it, I couldn't resist :( ) but will it be Deus Ex?

I agree with most of your concerns. However was hiding in the shadows really realistic? Hopefully the cover system might be better but I will definitely miss hiding in the shadows. At least the sound propogation is still there.

As for the auto health regen that is something I really didn't like seeing when they first posted it. That's the decision they have made though which does suck. Hopefully it won't be as bad as it sounds.

For the weapons they got this to say.

CHARACTER/AUGMENTATION DEVELOPMENT

You do gain experience points throughout the game which you can use to either upgrade yourself or your weapons. It's a choice.

There are many augmentations in the game so like the first one, you can choose how your character (Adam) develops

I just want to see the demo in February, that will give us all a better view of everything. I already have a picture of my head in the game though with everything that's been revealed.

EDIT IMPORTANT: Just got a reply from one of the Eidos staff. It appears I was mistaken by an article so the demonstration might be for press only and not shown to the public till later or at all. However I am pretty sure the press will write about said demonstration. (Feb 2009, date subject to change but so far on schedule, no intel to the contrary)

P.S.

Check out some new shots here. The sniper rifle looks sweet.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.ph...886&page=19

Edited by Unstoppable

Ooooh shiny...

I dislike LOS stealth myself, even if it is more realistic, as almost all games have this type of stealth. even CoD4. And that's a straight shooter. A shadow / noise one is less realistic but more fun.

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

Ooooh shiny...

I dislike LOS stealth myself, even if it is more realistic, as almost all games have this type of stealth. even CoD4. And that's a straight shooter. A shadow / noise one is less realistic but more fun.

The nice thing is that you will be able to if YOU want to hug the wall Metal Gear Solid style and switch to third person. This is simply to get a better view sort of like Thief: Deadly Shadows.

You don't have to do that though you can stay in first person. Checkout this FACTS thread so you get the run down on what we know.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=80786