The Dark Mod Forums

Which models can I rig?

Dram

Ok Spring, I've finally got 3DS Max 2009 set up, and wonderfully enough, the md5 importer/exporter plugins still work fine in this :)

Now, as I am flying to Czech Republic on November 30th and getting back February 17th 2009, I decided it was time to get a laptop so I can still do work on models and my map while there for those 2.5 months.

Which brings me to my question: Which models still need rigging to new skeleton? I can probably pull off about 5 or so during that time, maybe 7 but that might be pushing it. I will be on holiday after all. In any case, please tell me which ones I can do and I'll have them done by the time I get back from CZ. I'll try and stay in contact during this time, but it may be only every now and then that I get net access, so I can at least keep you updated on how the progress is going.

Ok, I'll have to get back to you on this. Squill is still trying to export the new skeleton successfully. I have one character that I prepared for rigging for Domarius before he disappeared, but it's in .lwo format. I know Lightwave can read 3ds files; any chance the reverse is true?

Ok, I'll have to get back to you on this. Squill is still trying to export the new skeleton successfully. I have one character that I prepared for rigging for Domarius before he disappeared, but it's in .lwo format. I know Lightwave can read 3ds files; any chance the reverse is true?

No probs with formats. As long as it is not that damned perfangled .ase format I can convert it to/from lwo, 3ds etc

In any case, please have that list ready by 29th Nov, and also if there are any files I'll need apart from what is on SVN then please upload them to the FTP or whatnot and link me to them.

I had one ready to go for Domarius, but it is missing hands. He apparently reweighted the hands so they better fit the new skeleton. I guess those new hands are on the proguard character--they'll have to be copied and pasted onto the thug. The new version of the proguard is supposed to be in the proguard model_src folder, though I haven't checked.

I also need to find out from Squill whether the proguard skeleton is the most up to date one.

The thug I uploaded for domarius is on SVN at models_src/townsfolk_thug/thug_work.lwo. I've left the head on a layer for reference, but obviously you should remove it for export.

There also isn't a shadowmesh at the moment. I can add one if you like.

As for other characters, I can have the nobleman ready pretty quickly (you'll likely need that for blackheart). The builder priest, noblewoman, and thief characters would also be helpful, if you think you can handle five. Those last three would need some alterations as well. As I went through the AI models I was doing several things:

1. Breaking them into submeshes so each mesh could point to a different surface type (for armour)

2. Fixing gaps in the model

3. Adding a shadowmesh (if it wasn't there already) and removing the shadowmesh from the head and making sure the it didn't poke out of the visible mesh anywhere.

4. Fixing any poorly weighted verts (and there were a lot).

5. Removing the mitten hands and adding the new version.

6. Fixing the neck to make head swapping easier.

I've done all those things for the thug and nobleman models, but not the last three. So either I can do those things first and then send you the new model, or you could rig the character as best as possible and I could do those things afterwards (or you could do those things AND rig). :) What's your preference?

I had one ready to go for Domarius, but it is missing hands. He apparently reweighted the hands so they better fit the new skeleton. I guess those new hands are on the proguard character--they'll have to be copied and pasted onto the thug. The new version of the proguard is supposed to be in the proguard model_src folder, though I haven't checked.

I also need to find out from Squill whether the proguard skeleton is the most up to date one.

The thug I uploaded for domarius is on SVN at models_src/townsfolk_thug/thug_work.lwo. I've left the head on a layer for reference, but obviously you should remove it for export.

There also isn't a shadowmesh at the moment. I can add one if you like.

As for other characters, I can have the nobleman ready pretty quickly (you'll likely need that for blackheart). The builder priest, noblewoman, and thief characters would also be helpful, if you think you can handle five. Those last three would need some alterations as well. As I went through the AI models I was doing several things:

1. Breaking them into submeshes so each mesh could point to a different surface type (for armour)

2. Fixing gaps in the model

3. Adding a shadowmesh (if it wasn't there already) and removing the shadowmesh from the head and making sure it didn't poke out of the visible mesh anywhere.

4. Fixing any poorly weighted verts (and there were a lot).

5. Removing the mitten hands and adding the new version.

6. Fixing the neck to make head swapping easier.

I've done all those things for the thug and nobleman models, but not the last three. So either I can do those things first and then send you the new model, or you could rig the character as best as possible and I could do those things afterwards (or you could do those things AND rig). :) What's your preference?

I can go ahead and do all of those steps if it makes it easier for you etc. But what would be useful is if you could write a dot point list of what to do for each model, that way I can go through and systematically finish each dot point and have the models completed correctly etc for use by the time I get back. Does that work for you?

Basically, all I need is a link to the new hands to be used, (or a model which already uses them which I can cut it from) and a list of dot points what need to be done in each model.

I would go through the process of finding what needs to be done myself, but evidently you already know, and also I have several things I have to finish up with regards to RL before I leave, so sorry for asking you to do that for me, and thanks if you get the chance to.

I would go through the process of finding what needs to be done myself, but evidently you already know, and also I have several things I have to finish up with regards to RL before I leave, so sorry for asking you to do that for me, and thanks if you get the chance to.

It's no problem at all; if you can do this rigging it will save me a tremendous amount of work (and frustration).

Are you still going to have forum access when you're gone? I can already tell you exactly what needs to be done to the first two models, but I'd have to take a good look at the other three first.

It's no problem at all; if you can do this rigging it will save me a tremendous amount of work (and frustration).

Are you still going to have forum access when you're gone? I can already tell you exactly what needs to be done to the first two models, but I'd have to take a good look at the other three first.

Cool, thanks for that :)

I should have net access every now and then, depending where I am at the time really. In any case I should be able to get onto the forums about once a week imo.

In any case, sure just let me know what to do on those first two models and I'll get on it once I'm there - won't be able to do much before I leave unfortunately. Then, once you work out what needs to be done on the other three just post them here and I'll jot it down and get that done. I'm flying November 30th btw.

Ok, here's what needs to be done on the thug that is in models_src already (models_src/townsfolk_thug/thug_work.lwo):

1. Add new hands (from proguard character)

2. Add a shadowmesh (neck only, no head)

3. Remove head mesh during export (just there for reference)

4. Usually when I export, I wind up finding uv issues--things that work fine in .lwo format but not .md5mesh. If you like you can leave those up to me to fix.

The only other thing is just to keep the current submeshes separate so they can point to separate materials shaders.

The skeleton that we're using is the new one in the proguard model_src folder.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, well I'm downloading the SVN model_src directory now and intend to make a start on this within the next few days. I was reading through the forums however and saw mention of problems with the new skeleton? Has this been resolved? Just confirming so I do not have to do this twice.

As for what I've been doing till now - mapping :D:blush:

I think Squill is going to remove the sword joint, but other than that I think everything is set.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ok, well I'm downloading the SVN model_src directory now and intend to make a start on this within the next few days.

I know you've been busy mapping, but did you get a chance to work on this at all?

• 2 weeks later...

I did partially. I have done some rigging on the thug model, though I've been slowed down totally from doing anything atm due to getting my portfolio to a presentable state. I should have the portfolio done soon (within half a week) and will finally get back to Dark Mod stuff.

Sorry I didn't let you know earlier, but the reason I put the rigging on the back burner was because I had to get more level editing done for the portfolio, that and also I slightly lost motivation rigging when I got both legs and hips done and 3DS Max crashed...and I forgot to save. Now I still have the feet and lower legs done.

Again, sorry Spring, I should have let you know sooner, I was just quite side-tracked.

• 3 weeks later...

Any progress on this? I've finished the nobleman and I'm trying to decide which AI to rig next. I could do the thug next, but if you've already got him close to being done that wouldn't be worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

Gah...

Stressed lately. After I set up my website I sent job applications, received a reply and must now create an example map in their editor. In an ideal situation I will be hired and will finally have a foothold in the games industry, therefore I must really make an impression.

This means I have no time for anything else until I finish the example map. Should take a week or so. After that I will gladly jump back into TDM again. I've really been feeling all over lately, and quite de-motivated, until now after the reply. I hope you understand.

As for the thug model, I've got him somewhere on my laptop, but haven't made all that much progress unfortunately :(

I know I've disappointed a few times now, but I truly don't intend to, it is just that I'm at the turning point in my life where I must find a proper job and find it hard to concentrate properly gah...

As for the thug model, I've got him somewhere on my laptop, but haven't made all that much progress

I'll go ahead and work on it then.

• 3 weeks later...
I'll go ahead and work on it then.

Here's the thug. Unfortunately, a character of his proportion doesn't work terribly well with this skeleton...he is so wide that his hands clip noticeably into his sides when idling and walking. There are still a few weighting and texture issues to improve, but I'm going to leave him as is right now--he won't really be usable until we can make a tweaked skeleton and/or animations for him (I'll put him on SVN so he isn't lost).

I'm working on updating Diego's old thug character now.

post-9-1240696095_thumb.jpg