The Dark Mod Forums

Do You Need Any More Models?

NatureBoy

Basically as the title says, do you guys need any more models for this project?

I'm pretty new to modeling but i'm getting along quite well so far and i'm having a lot of fun. What i'd love at the moment would be to get involved in a project so i can learn from more experienced people and generally get some experience of working within a team (ive never been involved in a mod before). And being a thief fan this project would be great fun to be involved in.

From the stuff ive been doing so far i would say that my strengths are in organic modeling, but i would be more than willing to have a go at whatever is required.

If you guys would be at all interested could you please set me some kind of 'test' model that you'd like to see me create. I should need no more than 3-4 days to get to something i'm half happy with, so i'd be able to give you something concrete to look at by friday.

I'm sorry if this is a bit of an unconventional application, but i dont really have much to show as of right now, and i would much rather produce something relevant to your project for you to judge me by, rather than give you some random stuff ive been messing around with just to learn.

If you could let me know fairly soon'ish it'd be much appreciated, then i can get on and make something for you to look at. You can reach me at naturb0y@hotmail.com or just let me know on here.

Thanks for your time.

well..i think we have enough modelers but organic modeling is something that would be appreciated i think...and if you can texture/uwv map then it would be even better:)

i think you might get in as a contributer and if you can show us something nice then you may join and everyone will be happy :)

If you could let me know fairly soon'ish it'd be much appreciated, then i can get on and make something for you to look at. You can reach me at naturb0y@hotmail.com or just let me know on here.

Personally I would like to see some animals. Like chickens, sheep, cows, dogs, etc.

But I guess you should wait for Springheel to confirm it.

Gerhard

Hi Natureboy,

I'm the art director for the project. We currently have some highly talented modelers on the team, so our standards are quite high. But I'd be happy to take a look at what you can do. We don't have a lot of organic models at the moment.

One thing I'd be interested in seeing would be some kind of dead broadleaf tree. Something appropriate for the front yard of an abandoned mansion or inside a graveyard. Slightly creepy, but not so much that it would look out of place in a regular forest environment.

That will give us a good sense of whether your personal style matches the rest of the models we already have. :)

Ok great that'd be fun to try, ive never done a tree before. I'll make a start tonight and post some early WIP shots so you can tell me if i'm going too stylised with it.

I'll also make a few other little bits and pieces for you guys to look at just incase i find that i can't do trees lol. Just a few animals or something.

Cheers B)

Zbrush is an unusual choice for general modeling. We dont really need any more modelers unless they're really top class . That tree is no better than average, and tree's are easy anyway.

I can't understand how you don't have any old work to show. You have obviously never modeled anything worthwhile, or you would show it. Inexperienced modelers are not what we need, this isn't a university.

THis may sound harsh, but I'm just being honest. YOu need to get more modeling experince under your belt, and have a portfolio to show before trying to join a mod team.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Zbrush is an unusual choice for general modeling

Zbrush is primarily for the initial low poly work, and then again for the ultra high poly work to get the normal maps from. I use Softimage|XSI inbetween, and for the final low poly optimisation.

That tree is no better than average, and tree's are easy anyway.

As said in my post, that tree is approx 30 minutes work and all its for is to see if springheel was happy with the initial layout of the branches. So please dont judge me on what i already said was a far from finished model. I would estimate what ive done to be 5-10% complete.

I can't understand how you don't have any old work to show.

Ive been modeling for a little over 6 weeks, 90% of which has been spent learning the tools. I have an unfinished zombie model HERE & HERE if you really want to take a look. But i say again this is not anywhere near finished so please spare any more criticism until it is.

I am not offended, but i do think you are being unreasonable, youve decided you dont like me so you rip apart half an hours work as if i'm passing it off as a final model, i already said that i'd like 3-4 days to finish the model before you guys judged whether i might be worth having on the team. All i ask is that you wait until i supply final models before you critique what im doing.

oDDity was very blunt. I personally think he could have been more diplomatic. That kind of tone would offend anyone. <_<

What I was thinking when looking at your recent tree, is that you haven't paid enough attention to how a tree really forms. It looks like it's been modled out of clay the way the branches all smoothly blend into the trunk. It also looks like you've gone for what you think is "generic tree" instead of finding a suitable spooky tree reference pic and using that as a guide.

Perhaps one of our artists (Springheel himself if he has time) could actually draw him a quick sketch, that fits the theme of our mod, and see if he can take a shot at replicating it in 3D.

oDDity, he might show promise, and if we end up being happy with how he develops, he could take the load off your hands with some of the less harder stuff. Don't be too quick to dismiss people offering to help. Help is good.

Edited by Domarius

I am not offended, but i do think you are being unreasonable, youve decided you dont like me so you rip apart half an hours work as if i'm passing it off as a final model, i already said that i'd like 3-4 days to finish the model before you guys judged whether i might be worth having on the team. All i ask is that you wait until i supply final models before you critique what im doing.

Personally I think that the tree doesn't look so bad. Especially when considering that you presented it a rather short time after giving you the task, which is IMO a very good sign. And looking at your Zombie it also looks quite good to me.

Oddity is quite blunt at times and I'm not really happy with his tone, as I know that there are people who will be unneccessarily offended by it. Claiming to be honest doesn't really help that.

Gerhard

dear Natureboy

im another modeller in the team..I think i can make some comments too..And remember oDDity made almost same comments on me while im modelling a character.. So listen this.

Tree is not good...This is not a tree..I mean It s like beveling multiple polygons at once...In lightwave it takes 2 minutes (even less)..30 minutes is so much for that one...BUT keep on reading...because your zombie is GOOD

I dont wanna defend anyone but i wanna make a comment on oDDity's comment.

I know oDDity i know his "thirst for quality" and he has right to comment like this. I had his comments as im modelling and i was almost having a heart attack..But you know what...I m so much better now...Im getting even better with my characters..His one harsh critic made me realize that i have to go back to anatomy classes. Im building a fresh character modelling skills..ANd of course it was harsh from him, but he helped me alot..THAT is HONEST part...Do not take it as a personal, but as a professional critic. And if it makes you turn red...That s a good sign..Cuz you gonna learn more and more..(I experienced this and it really helped me)

but YOUR zombie is really cool..I mean if you ask me ZBRUSH is a very different modelling tool it may confuse you time to time..In polygonal modelling software s thing are really hard, flows are important and making a single polygon is a very serious decision.. In ZBRUSH (an awesome program) everything is different. Polygons are reaching millions in seconds and this is FATAL in game design. ALthough im modeller for 7 years im still trying to learn optimising my hi-poly objects ...So do not get me wrong... It s not a wrong program but it s suitable for movie quality modellings..such as LOTR..

You said you use Softimage ..That s nice. If you say that you can model that ZOmbie in Softimage with polygons and import it into Doomengine with using normal maps.... it would be brilliant..Trust me the modelling is fun part but importing, making UVs tweaking, polygon reducing... This is the problem part..(otherwise i would have completed all models in one month)

Conversions after conversions..... just because of different programs have different strenghts..And game designers are using Best Software combo for modelling and animation..for their games..

In this case for Doom3 combo is Lightwave (max) (modelling) + Maya (max) (animation)

Trust me if you go with ZBRUSH+Softimage combo you will get crazy with your first model. So expand your horizon, re-test your modelling skills with traditional modelling softwares...and give your decision :) (of course give a try to Lightwave!)

BEST

Tree is not good...This is not a tree..I mean It s like beveling multiple polygons at once...In lightwave it takes 2 minutes (even less)..30 minutes is so much for that one...BUT keep on reading...because your zombie is GOOD

I understand this, but the point ive been trying to get across is that this is not the final tree!!!!. Of course it looks ugly, it was just created so i could show springheel the amount of branches i decided to go with. It is as far from what the final product will be as you can get. The 30 minute tree was the first rough attempt that i removed and put the newer pictures in its place (current tree took ~5minutes, as you will understand having used Zspheres yourself i assume). So please try to understand this was intended as a VERY rough guide of the general shape, nothing more.

So please no more comments about the tree, at least until ive actually started it, then criticism is more than welcome :D.

About Oddity's comment's, like i said i honestly am not at all offended, i just cannot understand why someone would start to critique someone elses work before its even started. That just doesnt help in any way at all.

On the modeling program's, you might well be right, but we'll just have to see how i get on. But i hope you realise all im using Zbrush for is the high poly geometry for the normal maps, so tbh i dont see why it matters what program i make it in. If there is a difference that i'm unaware of then please let me know.

But anyway, theres certainly no hard feelings on my part toward anyone here.

About Oddity's comment's, like i said i honestly am not at all offended, i just cannot understand why someone would start to critique someone elses work before its even started. That just doesnt help in any way at all.

Well, that is a hard lesson we learned also on the mod. :) Don't show WIP to early, becuase it will earn you potentially unneccessary critique and amount of arguing will get this out of the heads. :)

Actually that was one lesson I learned in my rethoric class. You can't go back. If you made an error in your introduction, no amount of apologizing or explaining of the facts will change that. You can never say "Forget about this I start over again." because your audience can not forget on demand. :) The only thing you can do in such a situtation is to get on with your presentation and hope that your audience will be convinced by what you show them.

Prsonall I had no problem with your tree, because I was aware of the fact that it is WIP and was done rather fast because we asked you for it.

Gerhard

How do you expect to be accepted into a mod team without showing any work? All we knew about you is that you can half model a tree.

Why didn't you post that zombie in the first place?

That zombie is good work, but an extremely high res ZBrush model by the looks of it. Are you confident you can normal map it and reduce it to 3000 triangles? Also, can you do your own texturing? There's a shortage of texture artists around here.

I'm glad to hear you don't take things personally, because you won't improve much if you do ;)

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

TYROT's mention of studying anatomy to produce better characters is particulary pertinant to anyone doing any sort of artwork really.

3D modelling is no different. :) The same thing applies to making a tree.

For example, your zombie model shows you have a good understanding of anatomy, if you really did model the proportions, bones, tendons etc. yourself.

Maybe I don't understand your workflow and your tree is far to early in progress. I just know that when I model, my inital model has the proportions and general shape of what it's going to be, and that tree just didn't look like any kind of tree I've seen before.

But like I said, maybe you did have a certain tree in mind and the clay-like look is part of your process.

I still think someone should throw him a sketch :) That's what we will be having our modelers do anyway isn't it? Making stuff that suits our mood art.