The Dark Mod Forums

Left 4 Dead

SplaTtzZ

I bought Left 4 Dead the other day through Steam and I'm really enjoying it. Is anyone playing this at the moment?

Valve did some great work with it, and versus mode especially is great fun. If anyone is a fan of Dawn of the Dead or 28 Days Later I would give this game a go. The multiplayer modes are pretty unique with each survivor or infected having to work together and help each other out in order to win each level. It's hilarious seeing more than 50 zombies come racing down a corridoor gibbering and screaming to kill some hapless survivor who was left for dead by his teammates :laugh::laugh:

I played and the demo and loved it.

When I get some cash, Thats on my list :laugh:

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I also played the demo, but that was the extent of it. Gameplay was unlike any other multiplayer co-ops I've played, and that sucked me in.

I had a tough choice to either pay for Left for Dead (and continue kicking butt with my colleagues) or pay for admin privilages and kick butt on every other server my gamegroup has.

I forgot to take into account that everyone is mesmerized by l4d and won't play on any of the other servers. <_<

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I am going to check it out this christmas break with a couple of friends along with Call of Duty 5. I hope we can get decent 20 hours of gaming out of those games. Especially the latter is supposed to be really short, like 5 hours or something... And If we're done too early, we'll just start Neverwinter Nights 2! :rolleyes:

Yeah Left 4 Dead is pretty unique for a multiplayer game in that it does really emphasize teamwork; and in some ways it doesnt :laugh: Often you just can't go back to help one of your mates who's being eaten alive by a whole mob of zombies so everyone just rushes to the safe house praying they wont get attacked. Playing as the infected is also requires alot of teamwork, you have to coordinate your attacks together as often it is the AI zombie hordes that do the most damage to survivors; and they die really easy if the survivors arent distracted.

It is a bit annoying i think not having server lists for games; instead you can only search for a game lobby or a game in progress; it means you can sometimes get really bad lag.

And as for CoD 5; IMO the single player pacific campaign was a little different but the russian one completely ruined it for me. The developers actually want you to feel sorry for Red Army soldiers getting massacred which is just ridiculous, considering that they probably killed each other more than the germans did. :blink: CoD 4's single player campaign was waaaayy better IMO; even if they never let you play from anyone's elses perspective but the Americans. As for its multiplayer? Well that formula hasn't really changed since the first Call of Duty, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as CoD has always had good multiplayer :laugh:

It looks really good, but unfortunately I'm in Japan for the next year and I'm not sure if the multiplayer community will be stable enough to make it worth-buying in a year's time. We'll see though.

When I was playing, I heard a horde approaching, and the only way in was a shut door, and I felt safe. Then the door started banging, then fists punched through the door, splintering random holes in it. Then a tentacle came out and grabbed my character by the neck. It went to a third person view and I saw my dude getting held against the door, struggling, while the zombie hands came through the hole and started tearing at him, he was losing health. One of my other teammates came and cut me free and struggled to pull me free from them in time.

Thing is, none of this was scripted, it's all emergent gameplay, and I know because I died several times in that area and this particular incident only happened once. Sometimes the zombies are scattered everywhere, somtimes they are nowhere to be seen and come all at once, sometimes doors are shut, sometimes not, it's fricking awesome.

I just played a few rounds of the demo.

Some were fun, some were lame. I think alot of it was just noobs figuring it out. I got bored with the same level over and over. Things are slightly random but got predictable.

You'd get the same hoards, but sometimes in front, sometimes in back.

The random pick-ups were pretty cool.

I haven't tried multiplayer, could be pretty cool I guess.

The server search thing is kindof bogus though.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

@ Sparhawk; there are basically 3 modes of play. Single Player; in which you play 1 of 4 human survivors fighting against the AI zombies; both normal and super-infected. Then there's Online Cooperative which is the same except up to 3 other humans play as one of the other survivors. Then there's Online Versus in which 4 human players fight against the normal zombie AI's and the Super-infected which are controlled by humans.

The super infected are basically diferent types of undead; there's a boomer which attracts normal zombies to characters by vomiting on them; a hunter which can leap, and a smoker which can pull survivors and choke them. In Versus mode each of these super-infected is really easy to kill; but they have infinite time-delay respawns. Part of the fun is finding the right strategies and locations to use each class successfully.

Baddcog already pointed out the single player campaign is pretty limited; it is really a multiplayer type of game. At the moment there are only 2 campaigns to play versus mode on which limits things quite a bit; but I've had alot of fun playing it so far :laugh:

Another thing wrong with it is the lack of a server browser; which i think is a hang-up from its cross-development on the Xbox 360. Apparently people who play Xbox are too dumb to use a server browser; either that or valve are too dumb to make one work with a gamepad. Regardless it means that unless you play with friends who you know and like; you'll spend alot of time just searching for a server that isn't in China or where ever and one that isn't full of retards. The game is heavily focused on team work so this last point is very important <_<

Edited by SplaTtzZ

Don't forget the witches :D

They sit in a lotus pose in a dark spot and wait for you to disturb them. Either by making noise or shining your flashlight on them at which point they completely demolish your whole team with only about 5% chance of survival.

And Tanks. Huge monsterous beings which take about a million bullets to put down. They pick up large pieces of concrete to hurl at you. The concrete slabs basically crush you in a second and you're dead. Very low chance of survival if you run into one of them.

BTW, they aren't zombies per se. They don't eat flesh, they are just virus inflected super beings that are VERY pissed off.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest